Author Topic: Barbara Aberdein  (Read 3911 times)

Offline Jane101

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Barbara Aberdein
« on: Sunday 07 June 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

hoping to find information on Barbara Aberdein born around 1766 in Aberdeen. She married Herman Minster/Munster in 1806 in Maidstone, Kent. I would like to find out who her parents were, if possible.

Regards,

Tabitha

Offline Jane101

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara Aberdein
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 June 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
I think I've found her parents - James Aberdein and Barbara Knox?

Offline Jane101

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 June 15 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

hoping to find information on Barbara Aberdein born around 1766 in Aberdeen. She married Herman Minster/Munster in 1806 in Maidstone, Kent. I would like to find out who her parents were, if possible.

Regards,

Tabitha

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 June 15 08:01 BST (UK) »
How do you know she was born in Aberdeen?

Offline Jane101

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 June 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
Birth record search  :)

Here...

Aberdein  Barbara  1766  —  1766  Scotland Births & Baptisms 1564-1950  Aberdeenshire, Scotland 

(from findmypast.co.uk)

Also, that is the only birth record for her with the appropriate date :)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 June 15 17:45 BST (UK) »
The problem is that not all records survive and not all baptisms were recorded in the surviving records. There could be several people of that name baptised about that time, only the records for them were never made or don't survive. It is possible that this is the correct person, but you would need more evidence to prove it, or even say it is probable.

Does the 1806 marriage record or any other document specifically say that Barbara was born in Aberdeen or even in Scotland?

Offline Jane101

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 June 15 20:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for telling me.

Unfortunately, no it doesn't...:(

However, the surname Aberdein is a Scottish locational surname - originates from the city of Aberdeen!  I didn't just assume she was from Aberdeen because of her surname. But as that's where her surname originates from, and was the only birth record/closest appropriate birth year, I thought it was a likely chance that, that was the Barbara I was looking for. Also, Aberdein isn't that popular surname...

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 June 15 20:14 BST (UK) »
You have Barbara born about 1766. I assume that is from an age on her marriage record or from another source such as a gravestone, or the 1841 census, if she was still alive then. The 1841 census would state whether she was born in Scotland (provided the information given to the enumerator was correct). As she would have been about 40 when she married, she and her husband probably did not have too many children. Perhaps she had been married before, in view of her age.

Scots had settled in the south east of England from the 17th century. It might be worthwhile looking to see if there are others with that name in the local area. Perhaps look at the online catalogue of the National Archives.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 June 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
Aberdeen to Maidstone is more then 560 miles by todays roads, in the early 1800's that length of journey would be almost impossible by working class people who would not have been able to afford to travel very far.

Just because you found a baptism for someone with the same name, it may not be 'your' Barbara.

Although you suppose she came from Aberdeen you need more information to back this up.

It is also possible that Barbara Aberdein was not her name at birth, she could have been on her second or 3rd marriage when she married in 1806. I would have expected someone who married for the 1st time in 1806 to be much younger, in their early 20's, than the Barbara you found who would have been 40, supporting the theory she may have been married before.

If she was in her 40's then she may not have been able to have children as she might have been too old.

How are you descended from Herman & Barbara?

What else do you know about Herman?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea