Author Topic: Hartnett  (Read 4980 times)

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hartnett
« on: Monday 08 June 15 08:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to see if two Irish brothers, JOHN (b ~1834) and PATRICK (b ~1838) HARTNETT,  who immigrated to Tasmania in 1857 are related to a third man, MICHAEL HARTNETT  (b 1832,) also found in Tasmania. Michael's Obituary states he was born at Abbyfieale, Limerick, in 1832 and came to Tasmania in the early fifties and stayed with some "friends".

Are there any birth records for Abbyfeale  for this time? Can they be accessed on line? I would love to be able to find the births of all three men if possible.

cheers Tigerquoll
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hartnett
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 June 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
Religion?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 June 15 09:23 BST (UK) »

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 June 15 09:26 BST (UK) »
They were all definitely RC.
Thanks for the link, I will check it out.  :)

cheers Tigerquoll.
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 June 15 09:32 BST (UK) »
OK... first if you read the link it gives you an idea of what's what.

Secondly, all RC Parish Registers at National Library are due on line free,  8th July so might be a case of waiting if they aren't yet available!

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 June 15 11:29 BST (UK) »
Sounds very tricky! At least I am lucky to have the name Abbyfeale as a starting place. I will have to wait patiently till the records come on line.

cheers Tigerquoll.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 June 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Tigerquoll

I presume that one of these chaps is your direct ancestor !

Have you gotten their marriage & death records in Tasmania ?

Do these records give the person's parent's names ?

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 June 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
The Abbeyfeale records go back to just before the dates you mentioned so you are in luck.

http://www.limerick.rootsireland.ie/generic.php?filename=sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources

The issue will be needing to know the parent's names as otherwise you won't know whether you have the right family or not.

Looking at GV it's a VERY common surname in the area !

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/limerick/abbeyfeale.htm

Tara

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 June 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara,

John Hartnett (b about 1834) was my husbands great, great grandfather. I do know that the two brothers came out on bounty tickets, the fare was advanced by the Government, on arrival the employer/sponsor  would repay the cost from the emigrants wages.

Unfortunately Tasmanian records from this time don't have a lot of info on them and do not list parents.  :-\ 

Wow that's great news that at least the records exist, not so good that its a common name LOL.
cheers Tigerquoll