Author Topic: Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied (Part 2)  (Read 33567 times)

Offline relatedtoturnips

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 June 15 09:12 BST (UK) »
I know that tree information on Ancestry being purloined has been frequently discussed on here before,
and I understand that having a tree on Public Tree setting leaves us all wide open to our research being copied willy-nilly. 

But since becoming a member 6 years ago I have always had my tree on Private setting.  If I ever make contact with anyone showing a link with my ancestors, I always ensure they have a strong and relevant link to my family before inviting them to view my tree, share any family photos, but always request that those photos are not included on any public trees.  Nearly everyone I've been in contact with has been happy to agree. 

Today (and for the third time in about as many years), Ancestry has shown that one of my photos has been copied to a public tree belonging to someone I have had no contact with.  After this had happened before, I contacted the people concerned and they said they were able to access the photos.

I added a note underneath my photos, politely requesting that none were to be copied without my permission, but it has happened again.  I have contacted Ancestry asking for an explanation, and await their reply.

Surely if a tree is on Private Setting, others shouldn't be able to access and copy them?

Has this happened to anyone else?

You could add a large watermark accross your private photos on ancestry. That way if anyone wants to copy them, they will have to get them with the watermark on the photo. It might put a few people off taking them.

Please see attached pic.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
Re: Gggrrrrrr!! Private Tree on Ancestry photos copied (Part 2)
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 June 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
HEY thats my 4x great grandfather, where did you get that from  >:(  ;D
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline relatedtoturnips

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 June 15 09:27 BST (UK) »
HEY thats my 4x great grandfather, where did you get that from  >:(  ;D

What! thats a picture of my great uncle "Peter Chimpus Simian" the 3rd :)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 June 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
Nope he is definitely a cousin of the Gibbons side of my family  ;)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline Jay0777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 12 August 15 14:03 BST (UK) »
While adding information to The Ancestry app I was sent a hint about one of my ancestors...a photo from a Private Tree. I am not a member of Ancestry and have not spoken to this person and yet could copy the photo by taking a screenshot of the photo and editing it. Now I am concerned that I should not have done this without the owners permission but as has been said before when you upload information to Ancestry it really is a free for all.
Pollock, Thomson, Kane, Hutton, Johnston, McGeehan, Sweeney Moan, Patterson, Gilchrist, Davidson, Silver, Neilson, Porterfield, Meyrick

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 August 15 13:00 BST (UK) »
While adding information to The Ancestry app I was sent a hint about one of my ancestors...a photo from a Private Tree. I am not a member of Ancestry and have not spoken to this person and yet could copy the photo by taking a screenshot of the photo and editing it. Now I am concerned that I should not have done this without the owners permission but as has been said before when you upload information to Ancestry it really is a free for all.

Not if it's supposed to be private Jay, you shouldn't even be able to see the photo!  Another failing by Ancestry it would appear.     The very least you can do is to contact the person from who you have acquired the photo, explain who you are, and hope that they don't mind.  In addition, don't put it out there, keep it perhaps at home, but not on the internet.  No need to compound Ancestry's failures.

Just realised that you said you aren't a subscriber to Ancestry, which is a shame as you won't be able to contact the person who is.  But it makes it even worse that Ancestry are putting it out there!  :o

Offline essexalan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 August 15 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi ,Yes just hate it when a private tree owner copies info or photo's and you can't see the connection.I normally end up messaging them to ask how what and why.
Tibbald ,Theobald,Sheppard,Gale,Mumford,Game.

Offline Mrsuperal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 May 16 15:10 BST (UK) »
Private tree!
I put on Ancestry information which I want to share and do not mind other serious members benefiting from my research but do resent the selfish members who have private trees being able to pilfer that information, I would like Ancestry to have a system where only public tree holders have access to my public site and other public sites, after all fairs fair.
I know this has happened as I published information that has taken hours at records offices to collate and know it is definitely unique, to see it gathered up into private sites is very, very disappointing.

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 May 16 16:15 BST (UK) »
Speaking as a 'selfish' private tree owner I rather resent the implication that we all just pilfer information from others who keep their trees open.  Had I not had all my paternal family, complete with photos, copied by someone with no connection to anyone in my tree, it would still be public. 

We all have to pay to access the collection of records on Ancestry, but anyone with a shred of decency will contact another tree owner to ask permission to use a piece of their own work, and if refused they should accept the decision. 

Public or private, it doesn't really make a difference, it is the individual who makes the decision on how to behave.   I was naive enough to believe that respect for others was paramount when I first subscribed to Ancestry, unfortunately I was soon proved wrong.