Author Topic: Alexander Myles 1791-1849  (Read 3425 times)

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Myles 1791-1849
« on: Monday 08 June 15 12:29 BST (UK) »
Has anyone come across Alexander Myles, he was my 4th great grandfather. He was born in Bathgate in 1791 and died in Dumfries in 1849. He was something to do with Customs and Excise in Dumfries, other than that I have been able to find any more detail about him. Thanks
Bookless,Varty, Collins, Birchall, Nicholson, Corlett, Barnett

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Myles 1791-1849
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 June 15 12:51 BST (UK) »
There's an Alaxander Myles on the 1841 census in Church Crescent, Dumfries. Gives his occupation as "Sufr of Excise" but POB as England. There's also an Elizabeth Myles aged 20 and Mary Aitken also 20 both born in Scotland.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 June 15 13:48 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth was his daughter, not sure who the other lady was. His wife died in childbirth we think. Very sad.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 21:36 BST (UK) »
      I have a little booklet entitled: "Dumfriesshire People in Carlisle Newspapers.  1775 - 1858."
The entries in it are for marriages and deaths in newspapers ... The Carlisle Patriot, The Carlisle Journal and The Cumberland Pacquet.    Entry 1093 is a marriage, reported in the Cumberland Pacquet.

"16 Nov 1841 at Dumfries - Thomas Hayton, draper of Maryport married Elizabeth Russell Myles, daughter of Mr Myles, Supervisor of Excise of Dumfries."

So Alexander Myles was Supervisor of Excise at Dumfries, and Elizabeth, his daughter married a Thomas Hayton, draper.     I'm afraid the booklet doesn't have any other entry for Alexander Myles.

On the map, there is a Maryport south of Stranraer, right down near the Southernmost tip of the Mull of Galloway.

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 21:50 BST (UK) »
        I wondered about the name Russell, and thought this might have been the surname of Elizabeth's mother, and there is actually a marriage on Scot...ds People for 2 Jan 1820.     Alexander Myles married Janet Russell at Bathgate.

P.S.   He was Supervisor at the Excise office at Nith Place, Dumfries in 1837.     ...This is from the Scottish Post Office Directories, 1837.

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 22:51 BST (UK) »
The Maryport in question is in Cumbria. Thomas Hayton was a wines and spirit merchant. It is always interesting to know how people met. Where did Thomas from Maryport, Cumbria meet Elizabeth from Dumfries.

The reference to Alexander marrying Janet is not ours. Alexander married Elizabeth Russell. Interestingly, Elizabeth's sister Janet married the brother of James Young Simpson the famous Edinburgh surgeon.

Thank you for your reply.
Alan

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 23:18 BST (UK) »
      Robert Burns was also an Excise Officer in Dumfries from 1789 till his death in 1796.    I can't help wondering if the Excise Office in Dumfries when Burns was alive was the same office in Nith Place where Alexander Myles worked in 1837.     If it is then that's two famous people connected with your tree: Burns and Simpson.      Admittedly, Burns wasn't an Ancestor but it's still interesting if your ancestor worked from the same building that Rabbie worked from.

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 June 15 20:45 BST (UK) »
It is fascinating how these connections work. Indeed, two famous people. I still need to find out what he did. Why he moved from Bathgate in the first place. The one thing that I have found with ancestry is that a search tomorrow may well throw up something that I did not find today.

Alan

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 June 15 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you found a Will for Alexander, these are great source for information

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich