Author Topic: Mary Ann Foster - Nurse(?)  (Read 5123 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Foster - Nurse(?)
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 04:25 BST (UK) »
Location in Cheltenham could mean training at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, so that's a new lead - thank you!
Ric3188

Or any other hospital in Melbourne.  Why do you think she trained at the Royal Melbourne?  You have no proof she was a nurse.

Anyway, I noticed the other day when re-reading accounts of her father's death in the local papers the Mary Ann was not mentioned whereas her sister Margaret was
Ric3188

The Ballarat Star has not been digitised for the period Apr 1898 so it would appear a descendant has obtained copies of the relevant news items.  I notice there are public trees on Ancestry.com with the relevant items from the Ballarat Star.  John's death was reported in six newspapers, some of them far removed from Ballarat. The was not unusual in this period. General news items were copied from paper to paper whether or not they were relevant or of interest to the readers in other districts.

From the Ballarat Star 19 Apr 1898
His wife died 20 years ago and he has raised a family of six daughters and one son.  The latter left home several years ago and relatives do no know anything concerning his whereabouts or even is he is living or not.  One of the daughters is the wife of Mr A Prout of Prouts band.  Another is married and living in Ballarat East, while a third is a widow living in Westralia.  It was the last named that the deceased and his unmarried daughter were intending to go in a course of a few days.

Did you download the Letters of Administration file from PROV? 
It is quite possible that Mary Ann's last known address was Cheltenham not that she was actually living at Cheltenham in 1898.

England was reluctant to send nurses to the Boer War and as Australia was not a Federation at the commencement of hostilities, it was up to each individual Colony to decide whether or not to send nurses.  It has been recorded that only 60 nurses from the colonies travelled to South Africa.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 06:10 BST (UK) »

"...She married in South Africa in 1903 and we had always believed (or assumed) she was a nurse in the Boer War"

Have you located the marriage in South African records...or have the certificate?

If not, what is your source for this marriage?

Was Mary Anne ever a nurse...or her sisters went into nursing...or is nursing a guess at accounting for her presence in South Africa in 1903?

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 06:31 BST (UK) »
A scan of the original marriage certificate is attached to a number of online trees.  No occupation noted just status Spinster.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ric3188

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 09:00 BST (UK) »
There are a number of sites which mention Australian nurses going to the Boer War, although it seems there were others who went privately.  I could not see Mary Ann mentioned. (Found by Googling, "Australian nurses Boer war")

There were also "Lady Teachers" sent by Education Depts of NSW and Victoria.  There is a photo of them here but unfortunately no names.  Picture here:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/page/11337428

Judith

just an aside - seems to be a whole family travelling on the Narrung in 1902 so the possibility of a mis-transcription seems less likely  :(

Thank you. I check the official lists quite regularly in the hope that they've been updated to include her but to no avail so far. I don't think she was a teacher but it's a possibility I hadn't thought of.
ROBINSON (South Africa, England - Kent)
CURRIE
ELLICOTT
LEITH

Offline ric3188

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 09:06 BST (UK) »

"...She married in South Africa in 1903 and we had always believed (or assumed) she was a nurse in the Boer War"

Have you located the marriage in South African records...or have the certificate?

If not, what is your source for this marriage?

Was Mary Anne ever a nurse...or her sisters went into nursing...or is nursing a guess at accounting for her presence in South Africa in 1903?

Hi, yes we have the certificate, but the SA certificate doesn't give occupation of either party. The nurse thing is more oral history than a guess, but it makes the most sense in accounting for a single woman travelling to a war zone.
Thank you
CURRIE
ELLICOTT
LEITH

Offline ric3188

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 09:11 BST (UK) »
Location in Cheltenham could mean training at the Royal Melbourne Hospital, so that's a new lead - thank you!
Ric3188

Or any other hospital in Melbourne.  Why do you think she trained at the Royal Melbourne?  You have no proof she was a nurse.

Anyway, I noticed the other day when re-reading accounts of her father's death in the local papers the Mary Ann was not mentioned whereas her sister Margaret was
Ric3188

Cando

I've just heard back from the RMH and she's not on their list so that was a short-lived lead! What other hospitals were there in Melbourne at that time? And no, no proof she was a nurse, just family history.

I have several newspaper reports of John Foster's death and also quite a lot of information about the rest of the family. I really am just looking for the trigger to move from Victoria to South Africa - it's a fascinating aspect of our family that several couples started life on entirely different continents!

Thank you
CURRIE
ELLICOTT
LEITH

Offline ric3188

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 09:13 BST (UK) »
But it's good to have a location for her in 1898

The location her sister gave in the probate files would have been her belief that Mary was still living there & not necessarily accurate at the time.

Did you bother to download & read the probate files? There were possible further clues in it if you did.

I did download the files but only briefly read them (the Cheltenham reference), will study in more detail today. Thanks.
CURRIE
ELLICOTT
LEITH

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
 ......and had met her husband, a soldier, John Leith...... 

If occupations are not shown on the marriage certificates in South Africa, how do you know he was a soldier?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 09:34 BST (UK) »

....accounting for a single woman travelling to a war zone.....

Thank you

The war ended in May 1902
She married 1903
You have said you do not know when she went to South Africa.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk