Author Topic: Information or Help Please – Ellen Smith  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Paul Brereton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Information or Help Please – Ellen Smith
« on: Tuesday 09 June 15 03:07 BST (UK) »
My name is Paul Brereton & I am in Townsville, Queensland, Australia & I wonder if anyone can offer me some help to find information about a Convict from Cavan, Ireland who was transported to New South Wales, Australia in 1832.

Ellen Smith age 25, Religion RC - Native Place Cavan – Crime Stealing Money – Tried Cavan 12 July 1831 – Sentence 7 years – Transported from Cork 6 Feb 1832 on ship ‘Southworth’ 2, Master John J. Coombes – James Forrester Surgeon Superintendant – Arrived Sydney, NSW on 14 June 1832

Ellen Smith born Cavan (Place or County not sure) about 1807 – Convict Indents say she was a Widow & had a male child – no mention if child actually came with her.

Maiden name possibly (O)Reilly – NSW Marriage in 1841 to John Abel Saint says Ellen Smith alias Saint – Informant on her 1866 NSW Death Registration was the Coroner who said her name was Ellen Saint late Riley. Same coroner was the informant on her husband’s 1858 Death Certificate says Abel Saint had married Ellen Riley formerly Ellen Smith.

When her son Isaac Sant died NSW in 1923 the informant was his son Herbert Sant who said that his father Isaac’s parents were Abel Sant & Ellen Smith formerly O’Rielly

I Think Ellen Smith possibly was Ellen (O)Reilly who married to unkown Smith in Cavan (County) sometime between the age 15 years & the time of her criminal trial in 1831. She was a widow when she was transported.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Paul

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Information or Help Please – Ellen Smith
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 06:19 BST (UK) »
As far as I know it is 'County Cavan" I don't think there is a townland called that.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline taffie01

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there is a town also, Cavan is the county town

It is near the border.

Cheers
taffie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 09:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, Cavan is the county seat and the trial probably took place there. If you google 'cavan town courthouse' then switch to Images you'll see some lovely pictures (old and new).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
This may be her in prison
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KM3W-WJ2

Not that it's helps any