Author Topic: Coultas & Vickerman in Thwing, East York  (Read 4717 times)

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coultas & Vickerman in Thwing, East York
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 16:42 BST (UK) »
Joyce,  I have found the surname of Coultas spelled several different ways.  I have a George Coltas, bpt 13 Oct, 1799 in Thwing who was a son of a Robert C and no mother listed.   Freereg.org  has James Coulks listed for  James Coultas marriage to Mary Trolley in 1815 in Lincolnshire.

With Robert C and Jane Vickerman marrying in 1778 that would leave an 18 yr span with no children if Vickerman Coultas was their first born.  I believe that the James Coultas of my research was their first child.

I live in California and the only access that I have to English records is what is available online.

Regards,   Bettye

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
Bettye

What I found yesterday in Burton Fleming records were Robert Cowtass, son of Robert, bpt. 1779; Ann Cowtass, bpt. 1782; Jane Couton, bpt. 1785; James Cowton, bpt. 1787; Richard Cowton, bpt. 1790; Isabella Cowton bpt. 1792.  If the father is your Robert, that would suggest the family then moved to Thwing, where Vickerman and Richard were born.  (I can't see a burial for the previous Richard).

I looked back to see if I could spot a marriage in Burton records which might clarify whether there were actually two families, but the quality of the records is very variable and I couldn't see anything. I did wonder whether the Robert who married at Brid in 1778 might have given his home parish simply as Burton.  According to my reference book, banns were supposed to be called in both parishes from 1823, "but sometimes earlier."  So it's quite possible that didn't happen and the vicar assumed it was Burton Agnes.

Just came across something, but perhaps you already know. It seems there is a will of Robert Coultas of Thwing, proved in April 1821.  You can order it from the Borthwick Institute at York (http://www.york.ac.uk/borthwick/remote-services/copying/order-form/), pay for it online and they will send you a scan, which you need to download within a deadline.  It's not expensive and they are very quick.  There's no saying how helpful it will be, but it's worth a few dollars.

When I can - I'm going to be away - I'll have a look in the archives to see if there are any more clues.

All the best
Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)
Veal, Tyreman, Wetherell - NRY

Offline justinavic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 May 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
I am new at this, and probably doing it wrong..

I believe Jane Vickerman (mother of Vickerman Coultas) is my 5th times Great Aunt.  I am descended from her brother William... I also have a Robert Vickerman who married Easter Bennison as my 6th Great Grandparents, wondering if they are any relation to Joyce's Robert and Ann.

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 May 18 08:31 BST (UK) »
Justinavic

A blast from the past!

Yes, Easter (or Esther) Bennison was my ancestor's sister.  I did a huge amount of research on the family a few years ago, with good results. But then went off to research other lines.

Let me go over all my notes and I'll send you a PM. I'm not sure whether I have anything much on Esther herself, though she's a beneficiary in a will of 1730.  I do have a CD of Thwing parish registers from 1739 to 1812, though.

Joyce
Bennison, Dales, Ezard, Hodgson, Horsley, Hudson, Leng, Leppington, Marshall, Padgett, Reaston, Tate, Thorley / Thurley /Thurlow, Welbourn, Wilkinson - ERY / NRY (18th century and earlier)

Offline justinavic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 May 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
that would be amazing!  I am not sure about anything past Easter...

Offline Castle1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 09:19 BST (UK) »
I too have found Easter in my husbands family tree and would very much appreciate any info on her the Coultas family and also the Vickerman family

Offline warkworth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 October 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
As you see, I did some work on the Vickermans previously, but I don't think I can add to that. It's not as easy working forwards.

I've been working back from Esther Bennison (Vickerman)'s generation, so if you'd like an oversight of the Bennisons, I'd be happy to send an outline of my results in a PM.

However, my understanding of the board rules is that you'd need to have made three posts, or my PM won't go through.

Do let me know.
Joyce