Author Topic: 10 Colchester Street, Whitechapel CENSUS 1851 + 1861  (Read 3310 times)

Offline fetlar13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
10 Colchester Street, Whitechapel CENSUS 1851 + 1861
« on: Tuesday 09 June 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hello again

I wrote last week seeking information about Colchester Street, thanks to all who helped.  On Sunday I visited what is left of the eastern side of Colchester Street, now renamed Manningtree Street. I also visited a public house shown on old maps, as being on the corner of Colchester Street and Church Lane (now called White Church Lane) the pub is now called the Bar Locks. This brings me to my questions, 1 does anyone know when Colchester Street was renamed?  2. What was the pub called when Colchester Street still existed?  Finally has anyone got sight of the census for 1851 and 1861 for the names etc. of the people living at no 10, Colchester Street as my Gt. Grandfather John Vorwerg Dobson was born there 30/03/1855.

I'm trying to track down when the Dobson family moved from the East End to Liverpool, I know that my Gt.Gt. Grandfather John Daniel Stephen Dobson died in Liverpool in 1863 and on the 1871 I've have found his widow Mary, living with two daughters and my Gt. Grandfather John V. Incidentally My Gt. Grandfather had an uncle Henry Vorwerg Dobson, who came to Liverpool before his brother J.D.S. Dobson, any sign of Henry down there?

Just trying to fill in some blanks.

Cheers in advance

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Colchester Street, Whitechapel CENSUS 1851 + 1861
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
Think this might be the uncle Henry Vorweg Dobson baptism 9/6/1820 St Marys Whitechapel
father Stephen Dobson school master mother Ester address Leman Street

Marriage Henry Vorweg Dobson of full age occupation gas fitter address London Road father Stephen Dobson gentleman married Ellen Pinkham of full age address Stanley Road father James Pinkham cabinet maker
Marriage 20/10/1845 St Johns Church Liverpool witnessed by Edward Hampshire Thomas ?Pinkham

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 14:02 BST (UK) »
The pub on the corner with Church Lane was the Horse and Groom ( 21 Church Lane)

http://pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/Whitechapel/ChurchLane21.shtml
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 14:18 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census is a bit confusing.

It's in piece 1545

On page 24, folio 554, Number 10 is recorded as the Man in the Moon pub (William Parsons) and another household of 2 lodgers whose names are not known. However the Man in the Moon was actually number 27 so this address is incorrect.

On page 3, folio 570, there is another entry for 10 Colchester Street which looks more like it. This lists a Benjamin Edwards from Ludlow and family- occupation is very faint but could be pawnbroker, and another household which is Joseph Edwards, omnibus proprietor, of Shropshire, and family.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 14:22 BST (UK) »
The 1861 census lists 3 families of tobacconists from Hampshire at 10 Colchester Street. The names are Flowers, Mathews and Suter (? that last one being hard to read).

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 14:24 BST (UK) »

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 June 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
Do you have the marriage of Henry Vorwerg Dobson's eldest daughter Maria to Henry Humphris on 27 January 1869? It was announced in the Liverpool Mercury of 28 January 1869