Author Topic: Are we from Scotland?  (Read 5907 times)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Are we from Scotland?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 June 15 08:18 BST (UK) »
"and so Scotland has been my chosen place."

Why? Try something that's a little more evidence based:

http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/Surnames.aspx

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 June 15 11:23 BST (UK) »
something that's a little more evidence based

but still not totally reliable.

I know of one surname said on that site to be from northern England, but I can prove that every bearer of the name north of the Watford Gap is descended from one man who was born in Berkshire. Three of his grandsons moved north to Yorkshire/Durham in the 1870s and all the northern bearers of the name are descended from them.

In the case of King, this name crops up as a tee-name along the Banffshire coast. A tee-name was a sort of extra surname added to the surname to distinguish between fisher families with the same surname. I can't remember offhand which surname had King as a tee-name. However I see that King is relatively abundant in Fife, and I wonder whether this might perhaps be a case of a tee-name morphing into a surname?

So do be careful interpreting the data from that site.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 June 15 11:31 BST (UK) »
"So do be careful interpreting the data from that site."

Yes, perhaps I should have made that point.

Imber

Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 June 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
That's spooky argylishiregirl. My wife and I have just been talking about that very same thing.

Thanks

MK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 June 15 13:27 BST (UK) »
The public profiler surnames site just gives instances of particular surnames at two specific years, so is an accurate indication of a surname for that year (I believe the 1881 examples are taken from the 1881 census). It does not mean the surname distribution will be the same 10 years earlier or later if loads died or moved away from an area. The distribution of surname will only appear if instances of over 100 individuals with that surname are recorded.

It's an interesting guide which I use regularly, but of course anomalies and variations do occur.  :)

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: where are we from??
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 January 17 15:34 GMT (UK) »
In a previous post I intimated that we might be from Scotland but this was just a stab in the dark. The problem is I am researching from a distance and not in a position to access local records and depend on internet providers.  In a recent publication listing local Cumberland family names "King" was not included so one assumes the family moved into the area in search of work and certainly my records show that my branch of the king name remained there until circa 1880. My first record is Michael King B: circa 1713. Married Ann Alkin 1752 in the Holy Trinity church Whitehaven. Alas any birth details I've seen on line are not very detailed and so it's difficult to really find out where his father and mother came from. Add to that at least another 1 family with the name King in the same area and it does become a nightmare. How do I go further back?

M King

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 January 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried to locate a will for Michael King ?  Wills can be a very good way of unravelling a little more  ;)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 January 17 15:50 GMT (UK) »
All this information has come via various on-line sites and I've not been able to view any church records. They have been cross-referenced with other data and I'm as certain as I can be that he is a relative.
Never believe unconditionally anything you find online, unless it is an image of an original document (and even then be wary because errors in original documents are not unknown). You maye be doing fine so far, but at some stage you must plan to go to the sources and look at all the original documents.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jardiner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 January 17 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. I have looked at wills but again the available info is scant but shall try again.

MK