Author Topic: Billyard/Billiard/Billiald: Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire connected?  (Read 9886 times)

Offline Lynn Bilyard B.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Billyard/Billiard/Billiald: Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire connected?
« on: Wednesday 10 June 15 17:47 BST (UK) »
I am interested if anyone has evidence of a connection between Billyard/Billiald/etc family histories in the counties of Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire. 

I descend from Billiald families as early as late 1590's in East Markham region and know of an individual who has records of his history in Lincolnshire.  We would like to know if there is evidence the two groups are related.

Thank you for any leads or insight!

L Bilyard

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my favourite jumper about 1976
    • View Profile
Re: Billyard/Billiard/Billiald: Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire connected?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 15 05:25 BST (UK) »
 Lynn......Have you seen Bob Copeland's excellent website ?......there are lots of Billyard....Billiald's on there...........Del.
Clarke , Calvert , McCreadie,
 McDowell, Paton & Scott families,  Scotland
& Ireland, Ayto/Hayto/Eato/Eatough families, Lincolnshire.

Offline Lynn Bilyard B.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 15 06:20 BST (UK) »
Del,  I have not seen Bob Copeland's website.  Can you share the link please?  I live in Colorado so all of my research is through the internet and wonderful volunteers such as yourself!  Thank you so much for the lead!!

Lynn

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 15 06:29 BST (UK) »
http://www.bobcopeland.net/all-o/surname_index.htm     .......Lynn, not sure that this will work.....  but here goes........Del.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 June 15 08:00 BST (UK) »
Lynn, That link seems to have worked, hope it is of some use to you......I know that there is some connection between your Billyard family and my Ayto family, not that far back, I will have a dig around, and get back to you (if that's o.k. )........Regards Del.

Offline Lynn Bilyard B.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 15 15:14 BST (UK) »
Del,
Of course I would like to share information!!  I looked at Bob Copeland's information and was pleased to see my 2X and 3X great grandfathers.  And it is only recently that I discovered the multiple spellings and the tracking of the surname into the late 1500's.  What I have yet to do is find a direct line to that era.  I have collected multiple male names, christenings, deaths, and marriages but lose the line at Richard Billiald b. 1754.

Have you seen the
"Methods for studying the Origins and History of Family Names in Britain:
Philology meets Statistics in a Multicultural Context"
from L. Larsson and S. Nyström (eds.), Facts and Findings on Personal Names: Some European Examples. Proceedings of an International Symposium in Uppsala,
October 20–21, 2011. ?

I found it to be fascinating as it highlighted several historic surnames, including Billiard/Billyard. It convinced me that my true Bilyard roots go back to the Markham area as early as medieval times.

Thank you so much for your replies and information.  I hope we can continue to share information.

Regards.
Lynn

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 June 15 16:27 BST (UK) »
"but lose the line at Richard Billiald b. 1754."

Baptism East Markham
25-8-1754 Richard son of Richard and Martha BILLIALD born 31-7-1754
 5 other children baptised in EM to this couple, the first Elizabeth born 28-7-1746 and baptised 24-8-1746 only just scraping in before her parents married!!

Marriage East Markham
27-7-1746 Richard BILLIALD and Martha Smith
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 June 15 17:37 BST (UK) »
Lynn, THINK this is right....... John Alfred Ayto 1882--1954 married Gertrude Milnes 1881--1939.....HER mother was Elizabeth Billyard 1860--1933, born at South Clifton, Nottinghamshire.....there is some confusion as to who her parents were, as on some records she is given as Elizabeth COOK, this could be because she had been married before.....or her mother was a Billyard and her father was called Cook......I am looking into it.......there are several Billyard websites/trees.....have you seen them ?.......John Ayto was my grandfather's brother........Del.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 June 15 18:39 BST (UK) »
Lynn, It looks like Elizabeth's  mother was a COOK....or, married someone called cook.....her mother Rachel had her and a sister Catherine BEFORE marrying William Billyard 1837--1916......he is buried at North Markham, Nottinghamshire......his father was Richard BILLIALD......presumably William brought up the two girls as his own, along with his and wife Rachel's own children......it did happen a lot in those days, of course, HE may well have been their proper father............Del.