Author Topic: Billyard/Billiard/Billiald: Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire connected?  (Read 9887 times)

Offline AndrewBillyard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Billyard/Billiard/Billiald: Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire connected?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 June 15 13:00 BST (UK) »
Lynn, We have the same problem as you.......trying to connect two families with very similar names.......I have been trying for a long time to connect the Ayto and Eato families, of Lincolnshire / Nottinghamshire.....I KNOW  that they are all connected to one John Eatough of South Collingham, Nottinghamshire.......but proving it is very difficult........the variant spellings don't help.........good luck with your Billyard / Billiald's...............Del.

Hi Dell, this is Andrew, owner of billyard.ca.  Lynn is right in that we've been discussing between us how to match up the families between counties (at least for the Billyard side).  Lincolnshire Archive has parish records imaged online, which is fantastic, but it is not yet indexed.  Unfortunately, my ancestors have a habit of picking up and moving ever few generations, and with no index it's hard to find which earlier records I should be digging into.  Nottinghamshire Archive doesn't yet have their material online, it would seem.  As such, the "convergence" is hard to do across from the pond.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my favourite jumper about 1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 June 15 16:57 BST (UK) »
Larkspur......Thanks for that....does that mean that Rachel Cook was a single woman when she had daughters Elizabeth and Catherine ?......or is there evidence that she was married to someone called Cook ?............Del.
Clarke , Calvert , McCreadie,
 McDowell, Paton & Scott families,  Scotland
& Ireland, Ayto/Hayto/Eato/Eatough families, Lincolnshire.

Offline Del 80

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my favourite jumper about 1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 June 15 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrew, Yes, it is very difficult trying to connect  these families, we are having the same problem with the Ayto /Eato / Eatough families......all roads lead to the Collingham area of Nottinghamshire, but just can't make that final connection......maybe one day......Del.
Clarke , Calvert , McCreadie,
 McDowell, Paton & Scott families,  Scotland
& Ireland, Ayto/Hayto/Eato/Eatough families, Lincolnshire.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 June 15 11:05 BST (UK) »
Larkspur......Thanks for that....does that mean that Rachel Cook was a single woman when she had daughters Elizabeth and Catherine ?......or is there evidence that she was married to someone called Cook ?............Del.

There is NO father on the baptism record.

Name:   Elizabeth Cook
Registration Year:   1860
Registration Quarter:   Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration district:   Basford
Inferred County:   Nottinghamshire
Volume:   7b
Page:   142

This seems a likely candidate, her birth certificate would confirm the details.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 June 15 11:16 BST (UK) »
Class: HO107; Piece: 2136; Folio: 77; Page: 13; GSU roll: 87766

1851 census,North Clifton
 Rachel Cook servant aged 11 b N Clifton
There is a Jacob S Milnes, a painter, living with them.
Mary Cook aged 30 a servant unmarried _Rachel's Mother?
Mary A Cook aged 9 servant b N Clifton.

Baptism N Clifton
7-6-1840 Rachel dau of Mary Cooke abode North Clifton.
10-12-1843 Marianne dau of Mary Cook abode North Clifton.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 June 15 11:26 BST (UK) »
Class: HO107; Piece: 862; Book: 1; Civil Parish: North Clifton; County: Nottinghamshire; Enumeration District: 13; Folio: 4; Page: 18; Line: 2; GSU roll: 438907

1841 census N Clifton
We have Mary Cook aged 25
Rachel Cook aged 1
and Jacob Squier aged 65 b London
The family are still with Jacob Squier on the 1851 census, he is now 78. I would have thought it a fair possibility he could be the father of Mary Cooks children.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 June 15 11:32 BST (UK) »
On the 1851 census Mary Cook details say she was born 1815 Collingham.
Baptism  North Collingham
7-2-1815 Mary dau of William and Sarah Cook abode N Collingham father a labourer.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 13 June 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
Burial North Clifton
14-10-1856 Jacob SQUIER age 85, abode North Clifton

By 1861 Mary Cook was living as head still unmarried but with an "annual income" John Troop is her servant
Class: RG 9; Piece: 2476; Folio: 119; Page: 8; GSU roll: 542976

By 1871 Mary Cook is no longer Head, but John Troupe is. Mary is his housekeeper....
Class: RG10; Piece: 3539; Folio: 86; Page: 35; GSU roll: 839756

Catherine Cook- her grandaughter is with her on both census aged 1 and 11.

Offline AndrewBillyard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 June 15 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrew, Yes, it is very difficult trying to connect  these families, we are having the same problem with the Ayto /Eato / Eatough families......all roads lead to the Collingham area of Nottinghamshire, but just can't make that final connection......maybe one day......Del.

Indeed.  I had the luxury of visiting the Lincolnshire Archive in April and it helped further the Billyard research.  Unfortunately, the archive (and I suspect the archives in other counties) have indices which are not available online; those indices (e.g., for LCC wills) are the tools that can help genealogists focus on a specific era and location.  I'm currently "stuck" in the 1699-1750 era of Lincolnshire, near Frampton-Coningsby-Edlington part of that county.