Author Topic: Billyard/Billiard/Billiald: Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire connected?  (Read 9898 times)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Billyard/Billiard/Billiald: Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire connected?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 13 June 15 19:07 BST (UK) »
These are the only LCC wills I can see -
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline AndrewBillyard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 13 June 15 20:13 BST (UK) »
These are the only LCC wills I can see -

Thank you Geoff-E.   I have seen Richard Bilyard's 1704 will (quite a great read), but not the Bilyet one.  I'll check the parish records from that county.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 14 June 15 10:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry, my image seems to have been cut off at the bottom ... the parish was Burton Coggles. :)

... and now it's all there. ???

Here's the register anyway http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=568677&iid=103529
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline ansteynomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
*waves to Lynn and Andrew*

Marking my place as a great grand-daughter of Samuel Billyard (1853-1933), son of John Billyard and Ruth (née Otter) of Walesby.

I am intrigued that the family's roots go back in the Markham area to the 1590s, as I had been told when I first started my research that they were immigrants from Flanders, following the Edict of Nantes in 1598, so that seems to fit together.
Nottinghamshire: Billyard; Fletcher
Lincolnshire: Beck; Smith
Leicestershire: Goadby; Iliffe;
Warwickshire: Bradbury; Friswell; Gilliver; Beesley

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 16:04 BST (UK) »
Anstey, you probably have these.......
Baptism Walesby
12-12-1852 Samuel son of John & Ruth BILYARD father a labourer, there are baptisms for 6 other children in Walesby.
1851 census says John was born 1812 in Markham and Ruth 1815 in Boughton.
Baptism East Markham
4-7-1813 John son of Samuel & Mary BILLIARD father a labourer
Marriage West Markham
24-11-1812 Samuel Billiald and Mary Booth
Baptism Boughton
28-5-1815 Ruth dau of William & Elizabeth Otter father a labourer.

AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline ansteynomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 14:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Larkspur.
Nottinghamshire: Billyard; Fletcher
Lincolnshire: Beck; Smith
Leicestershire: Goadby; Iliffe;
Warwickshire: Bradbury; Friswell; Gilliver; Beesley

Offline Lynn Bilyard B.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 20 June 15 20:23 BST (UK) »
Antsey and Larkspur and others interested...

I found a very informative study, which includes narrative of the Billiald/etc surname titled
Methods for studying the Origins and History of Family Names in Britain:
Philology meets Statistics in a Multicultural Context

from L. Larsson and S. Nyström (eds.), Facts and Findings on Personal Names: Some European Examples. Proceedings of an International Symposium in Uppsala,
October 20–21, 2011. Uppsala: Acta Acadamiæ Regiæ Scientiarum Upsaliensis (Kungl. Vetenskapssamhällets Handlingar), 37–58.  found in pdf format at
 https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=www2.uwe.ac.uk/.../Methods-for-studying+the+origins+and+history+of+family&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I noticed that there is also a followup study done in 2014.

This is where I feel secure in knowledge that the Billiald/etc family name has been recorded in one form or another in the East Markham region for over 600 years.  I had also followed the Flanders train of thought but made little headway.  The name has always appeared to me to be of French origin.

Hope you can access the study.  Billiald name is on pages 17-18

Lynn

Offline Lynn Bilyard B.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Sheila,
Lynn here.....

I just reviewed this conversation, along with another thread, plus our personal messages,  so would like to resume our conversation!  I have researched and found the earliest Billiald/Billiard etc to be 1596, same as you mention.

You might find it interesting a research paper includes some Billiald/Billiard history of the surname :  "The Methods of Studying the Origins and History of Family Names" that suggests the name goes further back to 1300's in East Markham.   

(I have included the link to this paper here but I am not sure you will be able to get to the article.  If not, please let me know so that I can email you the pdf document)  It is titled Methods for studying the Origins and History of Family Names in Britain:
Philology meets Statistics in a Multicultural Context
from L. Larsson and S. Nyström (eds)

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=www2.uwe.ac.uk/.../Methods-for-studying+the+origins+and+history+of+family&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

One another line of thinking....

I have many names, mostly unattached to a direct line, but they all have the Markham area in common.  I have put the names into 3 charts, including Christenings, Marriages, and  Notations of Male Billiald names (from the mss.cat.nottingham.ac.uk

I have a John married to Ruth Otter.  John was brother to my gg grandfater William.  John and William's father was Samuel ( my ggg grandfater) so we are what degree of cousins? 

Would you like to share information, either here on rootschat or private messaging or email?

Hope to hear from you here or through messages soon!

Lynn

PS:
I know Andrew has a vast database of Billyard etc and our Billiard line is included in it as "unattached" to any direct lines.  I have hoped to figure out how his information can help me get further back than Richard Billiald b. 1725.

*waves to Lynn and Andrew*

Marking my place as a great grand-daughter of Samuel Billyard (1853-1933), son of John Billyard and Ruth (née Otter) of Walesby.

I am intrigued that the family's roots go back in the Markham area to the 1590s, as I had been told when I first started my research that they were immigrants from Flanders, following the Edict of Nantes in 1598, so that seems to fit together.

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 16 February 17 18:37 GMT (UK) »
 "I have hoped to figure out how his information can help me get further back than Richard Billiald b. 1725."

Baptism Dunham
27-10-1724 Richard son of John BILLIAD
There are baptisms of 7 further children at Dunham for John, but no mother mentioned. There is also a Thomas and wife ELIANOR baptising children in the same place at the same time.

"that suggests the name goes further back to 1300's in East Markham."
There is a Tho.and Hannah Billiard, Billiat, Billyard in East Markham who baptised 4 children. Although  if they baptised as babies this John would only have been 15years old when Richard was baptised.
East Markham
0-5-1704 Hannah father Tho. Billiard labourer
0-0-1707 Samuel father Tho. Billiat
22-8-1708 Thomas father Tho. & Hannah Billyard
6-2-1709 John father Tho. Billiard.

The earlier baptism in EM on NFHS is 6-2-1568 for a William BILLIAD, no other information available.
I have not read back over the thread so excuse me if I have repeated myself! 
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley