Author Topic: Possible to order military records (British Army) for man who died in 1835?  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
I'm wondering if I might be able to find out more about the following person, please?

John Ovens, born c1811, Fermanagh (South Walkins/Inishmacsaint).  His name appears on a pay site, under the Canada, British Army Reg. Rolls.  He reportedly died 26 October 1835; he was in the 8th Foot.

I am wondering if there is any possibility that he could have deserted, rather than died?  My ancestor was born c1811 quite possibly in Inishmacsaint.  I cannot find any military papers confirming this man's death and I am wondering if such a record exists for military personnel from 1835, please?  If I can locate this man's military records stating he did die, then I most likely will have to assume my ancestor was not born in Inishmacsaint.

Prior thread about this topic, with a few more details:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=661538.0

Any assistance very gratefully appreciated.  Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to order military records (British Army) for man who died in 1835?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
What have you found since you last posted about John Ovens?

Most surviving records - for an individual - come from the pension records. If a man died in service they destroyed his record 20 years later.

The only way forward is to look at the muster records in the National Archives. These acted as pay records so the Paymaster recorded when and why he had stopped paying him.

Ken

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to order military records (British Army) for man who died in 1835?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 June 15 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken:

Thank you for your help with the previous thread; I really appreciated it.   :)

Unfortunately, I've not been able to find any early records about my John Ovens nor the one who "died" in 1835.  I am hoping that if I can find and order John Ovens' military records (for his death in 1835) that I might finally find out if my ancestor was or was not born in Inishmacsaint.  It would be nice to find out, after decades of wondering, if we did find the birthplace of our ancestor.  Thank you for reading this thread.  Lisa

Update:  I just reread your post:  too bad about the pension records.   :'(

I searched the National Archives and didn't see anything for "this" John Ovens (there were two others - I know they are not for my John).
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)