Author Topic: John Tyler  (Read 9000 times)

Offline jai5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Tyler
« on: Thursday 11 June 15 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to trace John Tyler convict # 12354.  He was transported on the Mangels to Port Jackson
then onto Norfolk Island in 1840.  Then transported on the Duchess of Richmond to VDL in 1844.
He was granted a conditional pardon in 1849.  John Tyler then left VDL on board the Sydney Griffiths bound for London on the 21/12 1850.

I have found quite a few newspaper articles in the British newspapers that say a recently returned convict named John Tyler was caught with another man named William Cauty robbing the London and Westminster bank in 1851.  They were convicted and were to be transported.  I can't find any mention of where they were to be transported to, but I guess it was to Australia.  Would this mean he would have been send to WA?  I have looked for his name in what little I can find for WA convicts but can't find anything.  Does anyone have any ideas where I can look for anymore information.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks
Jen

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John Tyler
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 15 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Hi I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
I can't find any mention of where they were to be transported to, but I guess it was to Australia.  Would this mean he would have been send to WA?  I have looked for his name in what little I can find for WA convicts but can't find anything.  Does anyone have any ideas where I can look for anymore information.

If he were transported to Western Australia :

http://www.sro.wa.gov.au/archive-collection/collection/convict-records   and
http://www.sro.wa.gov.au/archive-collection/collection/prison-and-gaol-records

Have a scroll through both these live links, and notice the detailed information provided by the Western Australia State Records office.  Click on the live links too, there’s further info there. 

Also, do not overlook checking through Rootschat’s own WA resources at the following live link 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369921.0

ADD
http://www.fremantleprison.com.au/Pages/Convict.aspx 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 June 15 02:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

I don't think the two John TYLERs are the same person.  There is a huge difference in their ages.  The first was aged 33 in 1838 and the second was aged 62 in 1851.  A few of the news reports mention how old they were and it is possible that they were just imprisoned in England for the term of their sentence.

The trial records and criminal registers have them recorded as guilty of 'larceny in a dwelling house'.  William is 'CAUTY' here but it could be either CAUTY or CANTY in the criminal registers.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=def2-1479-18510707&div=t18510707-1479

Oliver VILE was the bank manager, so that is an odd way of wording the charge.  Perhaps bank robbery was such a new thing that they didn't yet have a name for it!

I'm still trying to get my head around how so many convicts with a conditional pardon could be on a ship to London  ???

Debra  :)

Offline jai5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 June 15 03:09 BST (UK) »
Debra and JM

I was sort of thinking the same thing about the ages being so out.

I will go through what you both have given me.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Jen

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 June 15 03:16 BST (UK) »
I have had a look and cannot find the original offence of John TYLER for his transportation. What year was the offence?

I have found a John TYLER in London in 1861 census he has a daughter born in 1831 and he is a widower? Was he married when convicted?

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline jai5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 June 15 03:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

He was convicted September 1838 for horse stealing.

Thanks
Jenny

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 June 15 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Looks like he stole a pony on 25th September 1838 from Mr Moss of Fakenham in Suffolk and he was arrested trying to sell it at Brand Creek in the Fens.  Locked up in the Bury Gaol waiting trial.

Gerry

Offline jai5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 June 15 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry

Can I ask you where you found this information.  I had seen that he stole the horse but what I saw didn't have all that information and I would like to have a look at it please.

Thanks
Jenny

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 June 15 04:31 BST (UK) »

Hi.

The Norfolk Chronicle and Norwich Gazette, Saturday 6th October 1838, page 2, RH column, about half way down starting with "Tuesday night the 25th etc"

Newspaper held by the National Library of Australia.

Gerry