Author Topic: John Tyler  (Read 9064 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John Tyler
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 June 15 04:34 BST (UK) »
I am not convinced that the chap on the Mangels into NSW in 1840 was the same chap who returned to England 21 Dec 1850. 
Hi I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm trying to trace John Tyler convict # 12354.  He was transported on the Mangels to Port Jackson
then onto Norfolk Island in 1840.  Then transported on the Duchess of Richmond to VDL in 1844.
He was granted a conditional pardon in 1849.  John Tyler then left VDL on board the Sydney Griffiths bound for London on the 21/12 1850.

John of course is a very popular name, and so too is Tyler.   Here's two chaps named John TYLER in Tasmania in 1867, and both were victims of crime in the first quarter of that year.    Quite possible that either of those chaps could be candidates for the chap granted a conditional pardon 1849.

Tasmania Report of Crime, &c   &c   &c   (Police Gazette  :D )

Vol VI  Friday March 15,  1867.   No. 311
Page 42
Port Sorell
Stolen about the 23rd ultimo, from the Marsh Paddock, Kentish : 1 strawberry coloured steer, JT on near rump, lame in one fore foot, in good condition, the property of Mr John Tyler.

Vol VI  Friday March 29, 1867,   No. 313
Page 50
Stolen on the 18th instant, from the dwelling house of John Tyler, Exton :  12 £1 notes and 20 half sovereigns.   The man as under described is charged (no Warrant) with the offence …….

Cheers,  JM

(Red Post,  Well found Gerry  :) )
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 June 15 04:55 BST (UK) »
There’s also the following John TYLER in VDL that also received a Conditional Pardon in the late 1840s, and he was tried at Suffolk, in April 1842.    His sentence was 10 years, and his CP was granted “has completed 7 of a 10 years sentence without offence”.   

So we need to sort out the various John TYLER chaps in Tas in the late 1840s   ;D

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline jai5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 June 15 04:57 BST (UK) »
Gerry

Thanks for that.

JM

John Tyler arrived into Port Jackson on the Mangels in 1840 then went to Norfolk Island, then onto VDL on the Duchess of Richmond in 1844.  He was the man who traveled back to London via the Sydney Griffiths.  The passenger list for the Sydney Griffiths says that he was brought to VDL aboard the Duchess of Richmond 1844.  So I am sure this is the same man.  If he was transported back to VDL from London one of the two in TAS in 1867 could be him, who knows?

Thank you for all your help everyone.
Jen

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 June 15 05:09 BST (UK) »
John TYLER, on the Moffatt 1842.  Tied Suffolk April 1842, 10 years 
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON33-1-32,403,346,F,60
CP in 1849
Free Certificate 12 .  11.  52  (I assume 12th November 1852) 

John TYLER on the D of Richmond 1844 tried Suffolk Sept 1838 , 15 years. 
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON33-1-52,207,178,F,60
CP Application 30 January 1849

Cheers,  JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 June 15 05:15 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/65575997 The Cornwall Chronicle 14 Dec 1850

Passengers per Sydney Griffiths,
for London.
Mrs. Cowtan. Steerage— Jeremiah Taylor.

For Port Fairy. —
Miss. Coulson, Mr. John Griffiths; and 94 in the steerage.

I am still not convinced that John Tyler went to London on the Sydney Griffiths in December 1850

ADD  (same paragraph from that cutting, took a moment longer to type up)
Dec.14.— Sydney Griffiths, (barque)  808 tons,
John Cowtan master, for London, via Port Fairy  James Flexmore agent.

For London — 120 tons bark, 7500 treenails, 1000 staves, 2 tons of old iron, John Griffiths.

For Port Fairy — 12,000 staves, 20000 paling, 10,000 shingles, 9000 laths, 3000 ft. sawn timber, 60 deals, 4000 feet pine, John Griffiths ;
2 bales canvas, 1 bale twine, 3 ploughs, 1 dray, 112 rams, John Cowtan ;
2 bales wool packs, 1 case, (meat safe), R. De Little ;
6 packages apparel, C. J. Weedon.

Cheers,  JM

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 June 15 05:45 BST (UK) »

The other John Tyler also of Suffolk

At the Suffolk Sessions at Bury on 12th April 1842 William Long, Isaac Tyler and John Tyler all labourers of Brent Eleigh pleaded guilty to stealing and all three were sentenced to 10 years transportation.

Gerry

Offline jai5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 June 15 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry

What started me on this search was when I found this notice in the Hobarton Guardian 30 March, 1853.

Should this meet the eye of JOHN
TYLER who was convicted at Bury
St. Edmunds, in 1838, his wife MARY
ANN TYLER and his SON, Charles
Tyler, has arrived at Hobart Town by
the ship Australasia, and is living at
John Goddard's, bottom of Macquarie
street, near the Phoenix Hotel.

So it is the John Tyler from the Mangles convict #12354 that I'm interested in. 

Hi JM

I'm not very experienced at this computer thingy.  The passenger list for the Sydney Griffiths is on the John Tyler departure 1850 linctas POL220/1/1 Page 307.

Thank you for your kind input
Jen

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 11 June 15 07:18 BST (UK) »
Strange that he would leave VDL as Free Passage was granted on 28/12/1849 for his wife & son to join him.

Offline jai5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 11 June 15 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Merlin

That's what I thought too.  It's very strange.

Thanks
Jen