Author Topic: The Cottage Clyde Bank or Foulmires/Foulmyres Farm just east of Strathaven  (Read 13155 times)

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Can anyone please tell me about this residence of our family who live there in 1881

Robert and Ann(need Wallace) Paterson and their children live at 'The Cottage Clyde Bank' - Where was this? Dumbarton road?

Jane Paterson c1885
Samuel Paterson c1869
James Paterson c 1872
John Paterson DOB 03 Oct 1874 (our family link as John aka Jack Paterson moved to New Zealand)
Lillias Paterson c1880
Robert Paterson c1867
We are looking for any links, relations, links to staff, information about 'the cottage' is it still standing?

They had 4 servants recorded as living there... Annie Smillie DOB c1880, Isebella Lamont DOB c1857, Thomas Stewart DOB c1847, Robt McGibon DOB c1856
 :)

your help would be greatly appreciated.
Paterson, Wallace, Hamilton. (Scotland- England)
Richards,Richardson,  Schrieber, McIntyre (English/ Switzerland-Germany/ Scotland - Barra)
Bailey,Parry, Harpur, Neilson, Johansen, (English/Welsh/Danish/ Norwegian)

Offline Istrice

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Cottage Clyde Bank or Foulmires/Foulmyres Farm just east of Strathaven
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 June 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
Clyde Cottage was located on the north bank of the R. Clyde, immediately to the west of the Yoker/Renfrew Ferry.
It would appear to have been a reasonably sized building, which disappeared from the 1913 Ordnance Survey plan of that date.  It is however shown on an earlier OS plan dated 1859. See attached ref (http://maps.nls.uk/view/74478366)
The is likely that the property was demolished to make way for the Yoker Power Station, which is shown on the 1913 plan.

Regards
Istrice

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 15 01:09 BST (UK) »
Istrice,
Thank you so very much!  This is a fantastic finding for us.

Now to keep searching as there must be some other Paterson relations there somewhere who we look forward to finding.

kia ora!

Shirlene Paterson

Richards,Richardson,  Schrieber, McIntyre (English/ Switzerland-Germany/ Scotland - Barra)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 June 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi both,

A little more background here:-

1872 Post Office Directory
Clyde Bank Cottage, Yoker, Glasgow: Charles Duncan
Barns of Clyde East, Yoker, Glasgow: W Brock
Barns of Clyde West, Yoker, Glasgow: R Paterson
http://digital.nls.uk/directories/browse/pageturner.cfm?id=87052442&mode=transcription

Background on the Duncan family & Clyde Bank Cottage here:
http://campbeltownduncans.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/charles-duncan-1800-1876.html

brigau

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 June 15 05:20 BST (UK) »
Dear Brigau,

Thank you so much!!!

You are all so very helpful.  I hope to have some places of interest or even better still some long lost cousins for my sister in law (a Paterson) to visit or meet on her travels in September/October this year.  You are all making this more likely.  She had visited Glasgow many years ago and went  to what she believed to be a Paterson property which had been bought by some Americans.  But She doesn't know the address so there is a lot of work to do to trace the family's movements now.  I look forward to planning our own journey to this beautiful country.  Thanks again.
New Zealand Patersons
Mark and Shirlene

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 June 15 16:02 BST (UK) »
I am a little confused !!
Paterson is mentioned at Barns O'Clyde West which was another mile west of the site at Yoker.
The Cottage, Clydebank (which I believe would be Clydebank, Dunbartonshire) may not be the Clydebank Cottage, Yoker which then would be part of Renfrewshire and is now part of Glasgow.

I haven't seen any of the relevant census returns so have no idea exactly where Paterson appears in 1871 or 1881.

Am I muddying the waters ??
jcmac. 

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 June 15 09:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for muddying the waters because we do wish for a clear picture of their movements and where they lived.  Also... I need to ensure I am following the right Paterson line.    Which  brings me back to where I read about the cottage... and it clearly states Dumbarton road???
I am pleased you are interested in this puzzle.  Any guidance would be wonderful Cheers.

1881 census says
"The cottage Clyde Back, Dumbarton Road, Old Kilpatrick, West or Old Kilpatrick, Dunbartonshire, Scotland".

First name(s)   Robert
Last name   Paterson
Relationship   Head
Marital status   Married
Gender   Male
Age   53
Birth year   1828
Occupation   Farm 100 Arable Acres 3 Men & 2 Women
Birth town   Stone House
Birth town as transcribed   STONE HOUSE
Birth county   Lanarkshire
Birth county as transcribed   LANARKSHIRE
Birth place   Scotland
House name   The Cottage Clyde Bank
Street   Dumbarton Road
Town   -
Parish   Old Kilpatrick
County   Dunbartonshire
Country   Scotland
Registration district   West or Old Kilpatrick
Archive reference   RG11

Robert   Paterson   Head   Married   Male   53   1828   Farm 100 Arable Acres 3 Men & 2 Women   Stone House, Lanarkshire, Scotland   Transcription
Ann   Paterson   Wife   Married   Female   43   1838   -   Renfrewshire, Scotland   Transcription
Jane   Paterson   Daughter   Unmarried   Female   16   1865   School   Dunbartonshire, Scotland   Transcription
Samuel   Paterson   Son   -   Male   12   1869   School   Dunbartonshire, Scotland   Transcription
James   Paterson   Son   -   Male   9   1872   School   Dunbartonshire, Scotland   Transcription
John   Paterson   Son   -   Male   6   1875   School   Dunbartonshire, Scotland   Transcription
Lillias   Paterson   -   -   Female   1   1880   -   Dunbartonshire, Scotland   Transcription
Annie   Smillie   Servant   Unmarried   Female   21   1860   Dairy Servant   Port Glasgow, Renfrewshire, Scotland   Transcription
Isebella   Lamont   Servant   Unmarried   Female   24   1857   Dairy Maid   Bunessan, Argyllshire, Scotland   Transcription
Thomas   Stewart   Servant   Unmarried   Male   34   1847   Farm Servant   Dunbartonshire, Scotland   Transcription
Robt   McGibon   Servant   Unmarried   Male   25   1856   Farm Servant   Renfrewshire, Scotland   Transcription
Robert   Paterson   Son   Unmarried   Male   14   1867   Schollar   Dunbartonshire, Scotland   Transcription

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 June 15 09:09 BST (UK) »
Was I allowed to past all that information on there???  hope I can delete if not allowed??

Offline jcmac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 June 15 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hello NZp,
I do not have access to the various census records.
My knowledge of the area comes from living in this part of Glasgow/Dunbartonshire.
The old road network west out of Glasgow, north of and close to the Clyde, had various names as it went west:- Dumbarton Road, Yoker Road, Glasgow Road with the first and last being used for various stretches all the way to Dumbarton. Dumbarton Road could be several parts of that route over a 15 mile stretch. Over the years part of this area changed from Govan Parish, Renfrew Parish (both south of the river) to become parts of Glasgow and Dunbartonshire (north of the river).
If you are able to access the part of the census which details the boundery of the enumerator's area covered in 1871 and 1881 it would make it easier to locate the property and discount other locations.
My feeling is that your address was further west.
jcmac.