Author Topic: The Cottage Clyde Bank or Foulmires/Foulmyres Farm just east of Strathaven  (Read 13164 times)

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Cottage Clyde Bank or Foulmires/Foulmyres Farm just east of Strathaven
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hello jcmac

This sure is more productive having someone to 'puzzle over' the who is and who isnt's.  CHEERS.

Lillias sure is a common name and even almost came down to my husbands aunty whose middle name is Lillian.  A name that does appear all the way through the family line.

If I have the correct parents for Robert Paterson (1827) who married Ann Wallace.  Then  Robert Paterson  (1782) married Lillias Hamilton and they had
James Paterson
1807 –
Agnes Paterson
1812 –
Lillias Paterson
1814 –
Margaret Paterson
1817 – 1889
Ann Paterson
1824 –
Robert Paterson
1827 – 1902

So I am lost as to how Elizabeth Paterson or Brock fits into the picture. Although I'm sure if we go back a generation they will. 

No I hadn't seen that census thanks!,  So if our Lillias was born abt 1786 in East Kilbride, Lanarkshire, Scotland. In that census she should have been aged about 65. So does M and L mean mother in law was aged 92. because that could well be right.  Yes there would have been a daughter Lillias.
My caution is that there were so so many Patersons I hope we're not on the wrong path.

If Robert Paterson was born at Foulmires/Foulmyres farm just east of Strathaven then I guess as some point his parents  must have farmed there.

I also found this and feel that this is our Paterson line..http://records.ancestry.com.au/lilias_hamilton_records.ashx?pid=128374703

So on this side of the earth... I am working on the details of John Paterson 3 Oct 1874 and how he came about moving to NZ, what ship etc.   I also found a James Paterson had lived in Eltham NZ (also where my husbands family are from) where John and his wife lived but the family here do not know of a connection - but now I wonder if there was?

Wishing you well and thank you for your interest in this search. :-) :-)  I must go to off to work.
Paterson, Wallace, Hamilton. (Scotland- England)
Richards,Richardson,  Schrieber, McIntyre (English/ Switzerland-Germany/ Scotland - Barra)
Bailey,Parry, Harpur, Neilson, Johansen, (English/Welsh/Danish/ Norwegian)

Offline achillboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 23 June 16 08:48 BST (UK) »
I have looked at this area when researching the history of Whiteinch and the Clyde navigation. It can be found here. I have since been contacted by members of the Brock family from America.

https://whiteinchhistory.wordpress.com/2015/08/08/james-whitelaw-the-man-who-took-whiteinch-to-america/

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 23 June 16 09:03 BST (UK) »
Well hello Achillboy,

This is a treasure. Thank you very very much. :-)

I am interested in the relationship between the Brock family and our Robert Paterson.  Were they related in some way?  How wonderful that you have had contact from them.  We do believe some of the Patersons had moved to America and travelled to and fro.  Robert's son, Robert who married Margaret McCall Slimmon (Oak Farm, St Albans England) also had a son Robert and he may have lived in America too.  I wonder if they moved towards others they knew? 

In appreciation.  Kindest regards From New Zealand Patersons :-)

... Furthermore, I read in one of the links that William Wallace also bought into the 'Member of the Scots American Company of Farmers'  Our Robert Paterson married Ann Wallace, daughter of Samuel Wallace, who was the son of John Wallace. She also had a brother William Wallace :-) lots of connections.
Richards,Richardson,  Schrieber, McIntyre (English/ Switzerland-Germany/ Scotland - Barra)

Offline achillboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 23 June 16 10:13 BST (UK) »
I live about 2 miles from the area. the Brock's and the Patterson's were neighbours There was another Paterson family about 2 miles  north west of them in what is now Drumchapel.

I'm sure they are on the census returns. are you on ancestry.

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 23 June 16 10:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  It makes sense then that they were farming together at some point.   So other Paterson's nearby.  I wonder if they were related.   i haven't yet been able to go back a generation and find siblings for that generation...I guess that may be the Alexander Paterson who was also mentioned somewhere in that link.
Yes I am on Ancestry... but I am still figuring our how to use it to it's full potential Im sure.

Offline achillboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 23 June 16 10:24 BST (UK) »
I am on ancestry and have just had my DNA done on it. The DNA is brilliant. I am ngtp1 on ancestry.

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 23 June 16 10:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that!   Yes the DNA does sound interesting. 

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 23 June 16 23:51 BST (UK) »
BTW,   my concern is that there was likely to be more than one Robert Paterson in this same area at the same time.  I have yet to confirm this is actually our Robert Paterson!   Does anyone have any tip for me to ascertain this.

Thanks in advance. :-)

Offline NZpaterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 08:29 BST (UK) »
Ohhhhh,  I have just dawned.... the history of Whiteinch and the Clyde navigation  mentions Brock and paterson but it's a john Paterson, not our Robert.   Bother.   Now I need to put that aside and get back on track.