Author Topic: Robert Miller and Jane Low  (Read 5922 times)

Offline tab11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Robert Miller and Jane Low
« on: Thursday 11 June 15 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,

It's been a while.  I know this is a long shot but I wondered whether there are any descendants of the above:-

Children:-
Cecil (girl) 1803
Jane 1804
John 1805
Robert 1807
Helen 1808
Alexander 1809
John Robert 1810
William 1811
Allan 1816

Offline robtaylor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Miller and Jane Low
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 15 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes descended from Helen 1808-1850
Regards

Offline tab11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 15 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob,

We are distantly related!  I'm descended from William 1811.  Do you have any info about Helen?

Kind Regards

Tab 11 (Liz)

Offline robtaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 15 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I don't have a great deal about Helen, she had a short but interesting life. Born in Edinburgh and next seen in Hazelrigg now known as Camperdown which is beside Killingworth. She married George Reavley 1840 and they can be seen living with Allan and William 1841 along with sons John Reavley and the elder son Allen Miller. Helen died 1850 at Teams, Dunston which is right on the river Tyne. Cause of death is Utterine Hemorrhage of Placenta Provia. She was buried at Whickham 15/08/1850 the day after her death.
George Reavley married Sarah Ferguson nee Robson 7/3/1851 and they can be seen still living in Dunston 1851. Son Allen Miller can be seen at Kibblesworth 1851 living by himself. Allen although his surname is Miller is sometimes seen as Reavley. 1861 he is seen at Houghton le Spring living close to the Reavleys and by now has married Sarah Bishop. This couple are my gggrandparents.
I'd be interested in knowing where your roots are. I have a small amount of info on William 1811 and I would be interested to know who is in your Miller wedding photo which you posted on this site recently. Thank you for your reply.
Regards

Offline tab11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 15 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the quick reply.  I was aware of some of the info, not all, we didn't know that George Reavley married so quickly.  I knew about her cause of death which I guess was due to childbirth. I've studied the 1841 census with Reavley family living with William and Allan many times, we concluded that William and Allan were already there and the Reavley family moved in with them. Am I correct in thinking that Allan is the illegitimate son of Helen?
Great that you saw the Miller wedding photo.  The bride and groom are my grandparents, Robert and Audrey Miller (nee Smith.)  To the left of Robert is Hunter Miller (1875) born Houghton-le-Spring, my ggrandfather.  His father was Thomas Miller (1844 - 1923) and then we were stuck with 2 possible fathers, both called William Miller (1811) born in Edinburgh.  There far too many connections to our family for us to rule out the one on the 1841 census and after much discussion concluded that he was our man....

Offline robtaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 15 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Have you realised the significance of the Surtees  girl in the 1841 census ?

Offline tab11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 November 15 10:18 GMT (UK) »
No please do tell ???

Offline robtaylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 November 15 10:30 GMT (UK) »
We believe this is
Williams step  daughter to his first wife and Jane MILLER is his eldest child. I'm away from my notes right now but I will send the details tonight.

Offline tab11

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 November 15 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, this does make sense.  I'd been told that William Miller was a bit of rogue.  He travelled from
Scotland to the north of England for various mining jobs, fathering children along the way.  His eldest son, Thomas 1844, who is my gggrandfather was completely the opposite. An upstanding member of the community from what I can make out.

William Miller died in Pelton in 1861 as result of liver disease, probably from drinking too much.