Author Topic: Hart family of Tipperary  (Read 4704 times)

Offline geraldine77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hart family of Tipperary
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 April 16 04:41 BST (UK) »
I am descended from the Hart family in Roscrae. Sarah Hutchinson married John Hart and had a son John born after his father died. Sarah married an older man called John Alrahan or Abraham. Sarah's son changed his name to Luke as his stepfather already had a John. I believe that SArah came from the Hutchinson family of Timoney Park, Roscrae but really can't be sure. Luke emigrated to Australia in 1851 and later married in Melbourne and came to KAikoura NZ in 1860. an anyone give me any further information?

Marie Woods

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline neilgen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 May 16 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Marie

There are two descendants of Luke Abraham and Anne Giles in New Zealand in separate branches I've had contact with.
I gather there has been a lot of research done on their family, and some on Hart's and Abraham's. I'm not sure how far they have been able to get beyond late 1700's.
Do you know that Anne left memoirs?
I have Giles ancestry from Roscrea but not that particular branch.
May be PM me and I can put in you in contact to see what hey have.

rgds
Neil

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 May 16 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is Luke leaving for Australia

ABRAHAM   Luke      1851   25   Trinoolie ??   John / sarah   Mother at Trinoolie   None .  R.C.   Ship =   Garland

Nenagh, Nenagh is the County town of County Tipperary. That was from last year.
Tipperary the county was split into 2 ridings North and South.
Nenagh became the County town of North Tipp and Clonmel was the County town to South Tipp.
There were also courts in each town plus the prisons.
Richard Falkner or Falkiner however you would spell it, was one of the big wigs at trials, he lived outside Nenagh in a house called MOUNT FALCON just over halfway between Nengah and Borrisokane.  I know it well, I used to have tea there when I was little, the house was bought by the Hogan family in the 1920ís.
Maggsie

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 May 16 15:11 BST (UK) »
Townland of  Tooloone perhaps...maybe too close to Clonmel!

Offline geraldine77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 May 16 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggsie, I checked out the bit on Luke and was able to get the  passenger lists for the Garland and the account of the trip -thankyou. He was Cof E on that document and was not Roman Catholic.  I wondered where Trinoolie was. Your help with the parishes was great and I have written to the parish church of St Cronans to see if they can research any further for us. An Abraham is remembered on the Memorial to the FAllen WW1 in the churchyard so I am hoping to get in touch with some of that family.
We wondered if Luke was connected with the police force before he came out from something we have read. As far as we know he was not in trouble with the law, but they certainly left Australia in a hurry due to an unfortunate incident on the goldfield. I loved my trip to beautiful Ireland many years ago but knew nothing about this family at the time. Thankyoufor your interest, Geraldine77

Offline geraldine77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 May 16 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Sinnane, I was surprised about the "Trinoolie," as we think that Luke came from Roscrae -he was later married in Melbourne to Anne Giles from Corbally and they were friends in Ireland

Offline geraldine77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 May 16 09:05 BST (UK) »
THankyou  Neil, I was born in Kaikoura and the Abrahams are my gt.gtgt. grandparents. We have the memoirs of Ann, but it is a bit contradictory about their past lives and this has made finding out about Luke quite slow.  We are making some headway with the Giles and the Lawsons and the Kaikoura museum is a wonderful resource. Geraldine.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 May 16 09:55 BST (UK) »
This Anne Giles
I did this for someone a few months ago.
Her Birth record is below and also the ship record.
It seems she was an only child.

Maggsie

Name: Anne Giles Date of Birth: 
    Date of Baptism: 03-Apr-1828
Address: Corbally Parish/District: ROSCREA
  Denomination: Church Of Ireland

Father: Not Recorded Giles Mother: Mary Nicholson

Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1: Not Recorded Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2: Not Recorded

Notes:
 ** FATHERS FIRST NAME LOOKS  LIKE 'ALICE' - SEE ORIGINAL REGISTER
REV. JOHN HAMILTON [RECTOR]

GILES   Ann      1852   24   (tipp)   Allen / Mary   living in Tipp.   None .  C of E .   Ship =   Rajahgopaul

Offline neilgen1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 May 16 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

A few pieces I have.
Luke and Anne departed Melbourne on the Clipper-schooner "Mimmie Dike" (around 90tons) on 19 December 1856 for Wellington soon after they were married.  A free passage was on offer for "respectable agricultural labourers". Anne's half sister Susan was a witness to the marriage.
May be they decided to get married for the free passage? Don't know.

Luke and Anne knew each other at school but had met again in Australia.

Anne Giles arrived Morton Bay, Brisbane as an Assisted Immigrant on the "Rajahgopaul", and probably met up with Susan and her husband Charles Willoughby who had arrived in 1841 on the "Runymede".

Luke was Roman Catholic but their children brought up as CofE.

They spent a couple of years at Cheviot Hills of a Mr Robinson.

Luke's mother Sarah Hutchinson/Hart/Abraham is listed as "Sarah Alrahan" in Griffiths for townland of Tinderry amongst the Hart's and Hutchinson's. The nearby townland of The Sheeys is where I think Anne's father Allen Giles was - spelled as Jiles. Griffiths for Tipperary, I think was completed June 1853.
There is 1880 death of Sarah Abraham aged 90 registered Dongahmore, Co. Laois, which is only a few km from Roscrea.

Quite a few Hart and Hutchinson's, but as not my family line I've not done more about them.

rgds
Neil