Author Topic: James Frederick HORSFALL / Queensland  (Read 9441 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Frederick HORSFALL / Queensland
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 June 15 07:40 BST (UK) »
Morning Gerry -
Just logged on before breakfast here in sunny Shropshire to find your post about JFH's death. He passed away very close to the death of his first cousin, my father - though I'm sure they knew nothing about one another.Thanks again for your kindness, interest and expertise in taking me so far in my research into this family.Next on my wish list is to find out what happened to James's father - the answer to which lies closer to home than far Rockhampton. Best wishes

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 14 June 15 07:58 BST (UK) »
James was on the Commonwealth Electoral Roll for 1982 and 1984 at the 346 George St but not on the 1989 edition.

His death may have made the Rockhampton newspaper, I will check it next time I am at the State Library.

Gerry

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 June 15 16:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry not to have replied sooner, Gerry. If you ever do get a chance to look for James's death in the Rockhampton press I'd be most grateful. I've been rather sidetracked, having managed to trace James's father's sister and her descendants. James had two nieces, one of which, named Diannysia, spent some time in Australia with her uncle James. So far I have no more detail. Diannysia sadly died unmarried in 1999.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 June 15 07:37 BST (UK) »
I got to the Rockhampton Morning Bulletin ahead of Gerry (who knows that I did) and the notice appeared on 20 Feb 1989 but no family named.
Sorry it's a bit blurred - not so on the original!

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 June 15 08:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Dawn - that's an important clipping for my Horsfall file. James seems to have had a good life - 80 yrs old - and a long retirement in Queensland. I now learn that he was, for a while at least, in touch with his sister's daughters back in England. One of these daughters had a family, so the line of Tom Horsfall was not quite extinct with the death of James Frederick - my father's cousin, about whom, I'm fairly sure, he knew nothing. I'd like to thank everyone who has helped, via the Australian records, to trace James's life, and wish you the best of luck with your own research. IAN

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 28 June 15 13:53 BST (UK) »
Ian, you may be interested in this.
Today I was at State Library Qld looking up notices from the Roma paper for Ryerson Index. On the back page (Aussies usually read the paper from back to front  :P :P ) of the paper (Western Star) for 23 September 2005 was a photo of two good looking young guys with the heading
"HORSFALL, a name to watch"
They were Alexander (age 15) and Carl (age 14) Horsfall, 'AFL-mad' brothers who play for Toowoomba's Codaroo Football Club. They are presumably from Roma, because it went on to say that they "travelled to Toowoomba every weekend" for 14 weeks, to play with their club. That's a round trip of at least 300km!   Father was named as Des Horsfall.
[AFL stands for Australian Football League]

May be some connection?
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Dawn -
Sorry it's taken a couple of days to reply to your last posting: I've been offline for a couple of days (busy house painting!). Thanks for your Horsfall observations - this time, however, I'm fairly sure that these people are not related to my family of that name. I'm as sure as I can be that no other members of the family migrated to Australia, and that James Frederick remained a bachelor all his life, leaving no descendants. Horsfall is quite a common name in parts of west Yorkshire and Lancashire. In fact, part of the town of Todmorden, almost on the Lancs/Yorks border is actually called Horsfall. I don't really know what to do next to discover what happened to James F's father, Tom, who seems to drop out of sight around the time James emigrated. I'm at a loss, too, how to go about finding Tom's brother, James (after whom James F was probably named). He too seems to disappear from the records in the later 1920s - last heard of being sentenced to four months imprisonment for a drunken episode! Reading an account of his trial, it is perfectly clear to me that James was suffering from what we would now call PTSD, following his years in the trenches, where he received the wound that finished his army career.
Who needs to read mystery novels when one's own family has such dark puzzles?
Best wishes IAN

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 13:54 BST (UK) »
Oh well, just thought there may be a link.
Horsfall is not a common name out here in Oz

Dawn M

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 01 July 15 17:00 BST (UK) »
Horsfall is not that common a name outside Lancs and Yorks. During my research I've seen so often that the name has been mis-spelt 'Horsefall'. If you've undertaken research in the UK census, you will know how unreliable and bizarre the transcriptions can be. One Horsfall I was looking for in the 1901 census - ages and ages spent searching before I found him in London – had been transcribed 'Horseface'. Honest!
With thanks and all good wishes IAN