Author Topic: What's My Next Step in looking for Isabella Wright?  (Read 12885 times)

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
  • Building on my mothers lifes work.
    • View Profile
What's My Next Step in looking for Isabella Wright?
« on: Friday 12 June 15 18:27 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure what my next step is in terms of finding my G(xlike5) Grandmother. 

Isabella Wright was born on June 22 1823 in Glasgow, Scotland - I have proof of this from her headstone. She married Alexander Main on Dec 31 1846.  I used Scotlands People to look at the marriage record, but there is no record of her parents on there, and when I look for a birth record, nothing comes up with the June 22nd date.  What would be my next step?  I did a wider range search for her birth to possibly come up with a christening, but there's more than one Isabella Wright, so then I don't know which one it'd be!

I'm still pretty much a beginner at all of this, so suggestions on how to proceed would not only help me now, but enhance my techniques for the future!

Thanks in advance,
Amanda
Moore, Craig, Donnelly, Boyd, Johnston, Butterworth, Hayes, Orr, Brierley, Heather

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What's My Next Step?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 June 15 19:07 BST (UK) »
As you have a headstone, you will know her date of death. Statutory death certificates from 1855 give the names of both parents.

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 June 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately she died in Canada which as of the date of her death did not record the names of parents.  Any other options?
Moore, Craig, Donnelly, Boyd, Johnston, Butterworth, Hayes, Orr, Brierley, Heather

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 June 15 19:50 BST (UK) »
Do you know any given names for her siblings?
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 June 15 19:56 BST (UK) »
Have you searched 1841..............then 1851 after marriage from which you may be able to back-track to eliminate any possibles who are still at home in 1851 (if that makes sense)  ???

That's assuming she was born then married same area  ???

Annie

ADDED..........forgot to add the possibles would still be "U" unmarried rather than "M" married.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 June 15 20:01 BST (UK) »
Unluckily enough, they'd immigrated by 1851. (1849)  I've tried to find the '41 Census, but sadly there's more than one Isabella Wright available and I don't know of any siblings. 

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 June 15 20:05 BST (UK) »
Okay, what names did Isabella and Alexander give to their children? And do you know who Alexander's parents' names were? By knowing these things, we can make some pretty good guesses about Isabella's parents' names. :)

Mary
in Canada (formerly of Scotland)
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 June 15 20:24 BST (UK) »
That's what I figured since that seems to happen so often.  Their kids were:

Alexander Duncan Main
James Main
Elizabeth Findlay Main (findlay was the paternal grandmother)
Isabella Leckie Main (perhaps maternal grandmother?)
Jean Main
William Wright Main
Margaret Main
Ellen Main

I'll look again and see if anything springs up!

Amanda
in Scotland (formerly of Canada)  ;D

EDIT - Can't find anything of interest on the Census, but I did find a marriage between a William Wright and a Isabella Leckie in Glasgow in 1820 (Isabella Wright was born in 1823)  it SOUNDS good, but I have no real proof.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 June 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
There's an Isabella Wright on 1841 census in Renfrewshire but I haven't looked at freecen yet

Not sure if you have these  ???

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X17G-NQ2

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X17P-HX2

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"