Author Topic: What's My Next Step in looking for Isabella Wright?  (Read 12898 times)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What's My Next Step?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 14 June 15 00:13 BST (UK) »
I can't find any record of William and Isabella Wright in the 1851 census.  Could they have emigrated with Alexander and Isabella?

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 14 June 15 00:39 BST (UK) »
There is a Campbell Leckie born in 1765 at Gargunnock, Stirlingshire on ScotlandsPeople.  Decent age fit with the 75 year old Campbell Leckie on the 1841 census but not definitive.  Unfortunately he seems to have died by 1851.  There are 2 Is*b*l* Leckies, one born 1802 and the other 1797, which might fit with the 1841 census.  That is why I was looking for Isabella Wright on the 1851; hoping for a place of birth.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 14 June 15 08:52 BST (UK) »
There is also a service record for a Campbell Leckie b Gargunnock which has him being discharged from the Royal Lanark Militia in 1819 because of rheumatism. It states he enlisted at the age of 31 for 20 years having previously been in the 3 rd Foot Guards from 1785 until 1791 and the 73 foot from 1792 until 1797.

An article in the Glasgow Herald in 1826 refers to a Campbell Leckie sergeant of police.

There are a couple of deaths for a Campbell Leckie in Lanarkshire in the OPR's for Lanarkshire between 1841 and 1851. A public tree has the death of William Wright and Isabella Wright in this period too.( Not sure if the owner has verified this). I note that Archibald Wright is recorded with his brother Campbell Wright in the 1851 census.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 14 June 15 09:44 BST (UK) »
Well found!  He may have taken part in a number of engagements during the Napoleonic Wars.  That could be interesting research! 

The Campbell Leckie Sergeant of Police you spotted could fit with the Sheriff's Officer on the 1841 Census.  The Scottish PO Directory for 1838-39 Glasgow has the following:

CALTON AND MILE-END.
The Provost, Baillies and Dean of Guild, ex officiis.
COMMISSIONERS OF POLICE...
Campbell Leckie, Superintendent of Streets and Lamps.

It's looking as if your soldier and the Sheriff's Officer on the 1841 Census for William and Isabella Wright are the same guy.

Offline J11

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 14 June 15 10:05 BST (UK) »
Although it's not unexpected that Campbell at 75+ should die between 1841 and 1851, it seems odd that both William and Isabella would as they were relatively young - William 45 and Isabella 35 on the 1841 census.  Could they have been victims of the cholera outbreak of 1848-49 which killed nearly 4,000 people in Glasgow and wasn't limited to the poor?

I wonder if Newmodernist has a marriage record for any of William and Isabella's children post 1855 which might show whether they were deceased or not.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 14 June 15 11:02 BST (UK) »
There is a useful link on the Lanarkshire board to the archives of the Glasgow police which suggests that records exist from 1825. This could be worth following up for any biographical detail.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline jonn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 14 June 15 16:00 BST (UK) »

Hello All,

Just a wee add on.

1841. census, 47 Main Street, Barony, Calton.

Mungo Main, M. age 66 years. Cotton hand loom Weaver, born outside census area,
James Main, M. age 20 years, Rope Spinner, born Lanarkshire,
Jean Main, F. age 16 years, Sewer in Warehouse, born Lanarkshire,
Alexr. Main, M. age 14 years, Rope Spinner, born Lanarkshire.

This i am quite sure is the Alexander Mains, born 21/May/1826. Glasgow City, Glasgow, to parents Mungo Main, and Elizabeth Findlay, who were married 27/Feb/1802. Glasgow City, Barony. Who went on to marry Isabella Wright, 1846. in Glasgow City, Glasgow.

Regards,
Jonn.

Offline buckhyne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • James Lawrie & Mary Ann Watson (1878)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 14 June 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
Weel spotted John.
How appropriate they bided in Main Street.  :D
Lawrie name in Fife (and elsewhere) with all its various spellings.

Offline newmodernist

• RootsChat Member
  • Building on my mothers lifes work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 15 June 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
Jonn,

That's right!  That's the Alexander!

I wonder if Newmodernist has a marriage record for any of William and Isabella's children post 1855 which might show whether they were deceased or not.

I don't as of now, but I'll take a look!
Moore, Craig, Donnelly, Boyd, Johnston, Butterworth, Hayes, Orr, Brierley, Heather