Author Topic: Margaret Heughan abt 1790 to 1824 in Dumfries - help please  (Read 2422 times)

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
  • This photo is my Gran, Ethel Jackson aged 17 yrs
    • View Profile
Margaret Heughan abt 1790 to 1824 in Dumfries - help please
« on: Friday 12 June 15 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Can anyone please help me find Margaret Heughan - I've searched Family Search, Scotlands People, FindMyPast and Ancestry...

Since I cannot find her birth/baptism, I've estimated her birth year from the birth of the first born child.

So what I know already,

Margaret Heughan - spouse: James Mcturk
child:   George Mcturk      born 1819
child:   James Mcturk      born 1820
child:   John Mcturk               born 1822

I believe she had 2 other children Robert born 1812 and Elizabeth born 1816 but I haven't found evidence of the births yet.

Both John and James the records say lawful son of James McTurk and Margaret Heughan so I am presuming the parents were married. But I cannot find a marriage for them at all.

James remarried in November 1824 to Mary Ann Cook (Marian, Marion) so again an assumption that Margaret died. But I cannot find her death records anywhere.

James (and all of his sons) were Quarrymen at Locharbriggs.

She missed the important dates - 1841 etc so I cant locate her through those...however, I did find a Margaret Heughan former servant unmarried age 70 in the 1871 census - in the nearby area - Troqueer, Dumfries...
The whole family are playing hard to get  ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated - they're doin' in ma heid... ;D  ;D  ;D

BARLOW, BEARD, BRIDGWOOD. BROOMHEAD. BROTHERDALE, CLARKE, CRESSWELL. DIAMOND, DRAIN, GRAHAM, HALL, HEUCHAN, HOGDANE, HULL, JACKSON, KIRKPATRICK, LITTLE, McLELLAN, McTURK, MORRIS, NEEDS, OWEN, PARSONS, PRICE, PUGH, RATHBONE, ROBINSON, SCRUTON, SHAW, STAFFORD, TAYLOR, WATSON, WEIR, WILLIAMSON

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Heughan abt 1790 to 1824 in Dumfries - help please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 15 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Bev,

I notice your online tree has James McTurk's wife as JANET Heughan/Heuchan.  Is it Margaret or Janet that you are looking for?

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 15 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Bev,

I notice your online tree has James McTurk's wife as JANET Heughan/Heuchan.  Is it Margaret or Janet that you are looking for?

I have two trees, the original one, I foolishly used the hints... the second one -

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/80021562/family?fpid=34417952761

May 2015 - verification Tree is the one I am using to make sure I have the correct info. Janet Heuchan/Heughan doesn't seem to be the correct lady for the children. Also when I checked into the information someone had for Janet and her parents, she could not possibly be the mother of my 3rd Great Grandfather James.

Margaret however is given as the mother on James, George and John, whose age compared to James fits perfectly with those of both given in the 1871 census, when they worked the quarry at Shap. If that makes sense. Both myself and my 3rd cousin - James is her 2nd Gt Grandfather, are working and verifying details, it seems to both of us that Margaret is the most likely candidate.

So.. Margaret is the one we are looking for. Janet doesn't seem to have married a James McTurk either  :D
BARLOW, BEARD, BRIDGWOOD. BROOMHEAD. BROTHERDALE, CLARKE, CRESSWELL. DIAMOND, DRAIN, GRAHAM, HALL, HEUCHAN, HOGDANE, HULL, JACKSON, KIRKPATRICK, LITTLE, McLELLAN, McTURK, MORRIS, NEEDS, OWEN, PARSONS, PRICE, PUGH, RATHBONE, ROBINSON, SCRUTON, SHAW, STAFFORD, TAYLOR, WATSON, WEIR, WILLIAMSON

Offline fechan19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 July 15 11:49 BST (UK) »
I think it is Janet Heughan who was James McTurk's mother.  The 1871 cen. shows James' wife's name as Margaret.  That is James' second wife Margaret Nairn.  Her son is on the 1871 cen. as James' nephew, but, he is James' step-son.  They married in Dalbeattie and on his marriage cert. it said that his mother is Janet.

Offline BevStimpson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 15 15:42 BST (UK) »
I think it is Janet Heughan who was James McTurk's mother.  The 1871 cen. shows James' wife's name as Margaret.  That is James' second wife Margaret Nairn.  Her son is on the 1871 cen. as James' nephew, but, he is James' step-son.  They married in Dalbeattie and on his marriage cert. it said that his mother is Janet.

Thanks for answering. We have two births for a James Mcturk one in 1820 born to Margaret Heughan and James McTurk, and one in 1822 born to Janet Heuchan and James McTurk. the problem is that we can find no marriage to either, both say and lawful son.

We also have siblings of the James/Margaret but not the James/Janet. We also have another marriage to Mary Ann (or Marian/Marion) Cook to James senior with more children. James the younger is m Gt Gt Gt Grandfather, he married Mary Ann Diamond in 1847, as you can see from the extract no information on their parents.
On his 2nd Marriage his mother is Janet, on his death in Massachusetts his mother is Margaret!
We have found no births/marriages or deaths for either mother in maiden or married names, nor census entries! It's all beginning to sound very Robbie Burns :D