Author Topic: World War one photograph  (Read 2374 times)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
World War one photograph
« on: Saturday 13 June 15 07:49 BST (UK) »
I attach a photo of the Sutherland family.  I am anxious to know which regiment the chap on the left hand side of the photo was with.  I believe him to be James Sutherland born approx. 1885/1887 in Glasgow, but actually lived in the Aberdeenshire area, possibly Peterhead. The man in the centre is his father Thomas Sutherland, and the one on the right hand side is Thomas Sutherland who was attached to H M S Thalia. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Re Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 15 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jessie,

Unfortunately the photograph is of such low resolution it's impossible to make out the uniform.  Can you upload a better quality image?

Regards,
brigau

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 June 15 10:34 BST (UK) »
The picture is not clear enough, but a lot of folk from the Peterhead area enlisted in the 5th Gordon Highlanders. It was a territorial unit which served in France.

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 June 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, unfortunately the photo is a copy of the original, which someone sent to me and I had to return.

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
World War one photograph
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 June 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
I may have asked this before, so apologies if I have.  I attach a copy of a sepia copy which I have of a father and two sons taken during the first world war.  I know that the chap on the right hand side of the photo was in the naval reserve and served on a ship named Thalia.
Not sure what the son on the left hand side of the photo served in. This was probably taken in Peterhead, or Aberdeen itself. 
Does anyone recognise the uniform please?

Threads merged.

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: World War one photograph
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 June 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
I now attach a photo of three men taken during the first word war.  The orginal was sepia.  The chap on the right hand side was in the Naval Reserve on board a ship named Thalia.  I am trying to find out which regiment the chap on the left was in.  The original shows a khaki army uniform.  Any help would be appreciated.  It was either taken in Peterhead or Aberdeen.

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Uniform
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 June 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
I recently asked for help in identifying the uniform of the chap on the left hand side of the photo.  Original was sepia and so the uniform was khaki.  This is probably a better photo than last one I attached.  Any help would be appreciated.  It was either taken in Peterhead or Aberdeen during the first world war