Author Topic: Armagh - Birth - Susan Campbell - 1856?  (Read 3291 times)

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Armagh - Birth - Susan Campbell - 1856?
« on: Saturday 09 July 05 07:12 BST (UK) »
Susan Campbell (Susannah?)   

according to her Australian death certificate she was born  in 1856 Derryland, Armagh, Ireland

She came out to Australia on the Gauntlet from London 4 October 1874 and arrived Maryborough Queensland on 1 January 1875.

She married  30 September 1876 in Maryborough and being illiterate made x on marriage certificate.  The marriage certificate states her parents as as George Camel and Mary Fox George was a farmer, and her brother was said to be hung for smuggling - but I have nothing to verify this!

Susan died 2 April 1930 at Bauple Queensland and was buried 21 April 1930 Tiaro Cemetery next to her husband Joseph Bates.

She is my gg-grandmother and I would be very keen to prove where and when she was born. 

Any help would be gratefully appreciated - as she has been my biggest unsolved relative for over 15years!!!
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Armagh - Birth - Susan Campbell - 1856?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bates,

Griffiths Valuation of Co. Armagh, conducted in 1864, shows a place called Derrylard but not a Derryland. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php
Derrylard is in Tartaraghan Parish, Co. Armagh www.sagp.org/townlandatoz.php
This site http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:z-S0Ft5vFw8J:www.connorsgenealogy.com/Armagh/TartaraghanGV-A.htm+Derrylard+Church+Campbell&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=1A.htm shows George Campbell rented a house from Robert Hume.
I hope this is a little bit of help to you.

Best Wishes, Christopher

Note: above link broken

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Armagh - Birth - Susan Campbell - 1856?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 January 06 02:58 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Christopher

I have also discovered that Susannah may have had siblings Jane, Francis, Susanne, John, George and    Sarah but now I need to find more proof!!!

again a little bit of help goes a long way
ta

tanya

Does anyone know if there are census available for Armagh around 1841, 1851, 1861 or 1871?

Moderator's Note: First complete census for all Ireland is 1901- earlier ones for Co. Antrim do not survive
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)