Author Topic: Ebbw Vale FC  (Read 2947 times)

Offline Emma Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ebbw Vale FC
« on: Saturday 13 June 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone. Does anyone know where I can find information about the now defunct football club Ebbw Vale FC? My great grandfather played for them sometime in the 1920s and I have contacted what I thought was the club but actually this turns out to be a much newer club which was connected to the steel works.

Many thanks
from Emma
Bowering-Lympsham
Shewring/Hale-Corston
Lewis-Stanton Upon Arrow
Adams-Abergavenny
Brookman-Bristol
Hughes-Gwnnws
Bonnor-Gwnnws
Millward-Pen Tyrch
Roberts-Llancynfelyn
Morgan-Llantrisant
Hodgson-Westmorland
Thomas-Pontypridd
Kingwell/Dymond-Devon

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ebbw Vale FC
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 June 15 11:42 BST (UK) »
Some details here (but nothing re players?!):
http://fchd.info/EBBWVALE.HTM

And here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebbw_Vale_F.C.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 June 15 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma
Ebbw Vale Steelworks Museum has a FaceBook page, which seems to show information of the archives they hold.

Mar
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emma Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 June 15 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much ill have a look!
Bowering-Lympsham
Shewring/Hale-Corston
Lewis-Stanton Upon Arrow
Adams-Abergavenny
Brookman-Bristol
Hughes-Gwnnws
Bonnor-Gwnnws
Millward-Pen Tyrch
Roberts-Llancynfelyn
Morgan-Llantrisant
Hodgson-Westmorland
Thomas-Pontypridd
Kingwell/Dymond-Devon

Offline Canary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 October 16 19:39 BST (UK) »
Researching football clubs (not the egg chasers) in Ebbw Vale is difficult. There have been various clubs over the years, some professional, some amateur. In the 1920s they had a pro team playing in the Southern League. I have a little bit of information. What was his name?

Offline Emma Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 February 17 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi canary, thanks for the offer. I haven't signed in for ages. The player I'm looking for was called William Cyril Thomas. I have snippeta of newspaper articles about him, he was banned from the Welsh football association for some sort of misconduct along with 2 Irish internationals. I've never been able to find out what happened. The newspaper mentioned that they appealed. He went on the play for Portsmouth and then for aldershot when the won the southern cup. He was known as a 'fearless Welsh defender'
Bowering-Lympsham
Shewring/Hale-Corston
Lewis-Stanton Upon Arrow
Adams-Abergavenny
Brookman-Bristol
Hughes-Gwnnws
Bonnor-Gwnnws
Millward-Pen Tyrch
Roberts-Llancynfelyn
Morgan-Llantrisant
Hodgson-Westmorland
Thomas-Pontypridd
Kingwell/Dymond-Devon

Offline Canary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 11:21 GMT (UK) »
I think I may have made a little progress on this one. Ebbw Vale won the Welsh Cup in 1926 by beating Swansea 3-2. The team included Thomas at right back and Billy McCandless, who was an Irish international player. I've found a report in the BNA that C Thomas and a G Bradburn were suspended by the Football Association of Wales for 14 days from the start of the 1925-26 season.  Bradburn was a former international, but with England.  You could only find out what they'd done by looking at a newspaper such as the Merthyr Express, or the FAW minutes which are at the National Library of wales in Aberystwyth. Hope this helps

Offline Emma Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 February 17 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes well done. The newspaper report I have says " a big surprise has been created in Welsh football association circles  by the dismissal from the mid-Rhonda club at 14 days notice of three of their players. Mc candles, outside left, capped on several occasions by Ireland: Doran, centre forward, formerly of Brighton and Manchester City and Irish international and Cyril Thomas, a right half, well known in Welsh football circles. The dismissals are due to an alleged breach of club discipline which the players deny. Dorian, in an interview said that he will appeal to the players union. They all complain of being dismissed without hearing"

I'll try what you suggest to look in the papers. In the family We are desperate to know what they did.

I've just read about the other two and their subsequent careers but no mention yet of what they did
Bowering-Lympsham
Shewring/Hale-Corston
Lewis-Stanton Upon Arrow
Adams-Abergavenny
Brookman-Bristol
Hughes-Gwnnws
Bonnor-Gwnnws
Millward-Pen Tyrch
Roberts-Llancynfelyn
Morgan-Llantrisant
Hodgson-Westmorland
Thomas-Pontypridd
Kingwell/Dymond-Devon

Offline Stoob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 26 September 20 09:17 BST (UK) »
Cyril Thomas was captain of that 1926 side that came from two goals down to defeat Swansea.
The club quit the Southern League in 1932 but became a nursery club particularly for Tottenham.
Willie Evans, Eugene O'Callaghan and Bill Whatley all went to Spurs, not sure about Cuthbert Phillips and Jack Pullen but all 5 became Welsh Internationals.