Author Topic: Winterton War Memorial: M Ellis / Albert Ellis  (Read 1260 times)

Offline rover72

• RootsChat Senior
  • Flying the flag for Yellowbellies!
    • View Profile
Winterton War Memorial: M Ellis / Albert Ellis
« on: Saturday 13 June 15 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

While researching the war memorial in Winterton, North Lincolnshire, I stumbled across a mystery which has so far baffled me. On one of the WW2 panels, the name ‘M. Ellis’ is listed.

A few months ago I was made aware of the WW2 district roll of honour in Brigg Heritage Centre which commemorates the 175 fallen service personnel from a number of parishes in the former Glanford Brigg rural district. This memorial was formerly on display in the Council Chamber. Under Winterton parish ‘Albert Ellis’ is listed, but despite an extensive search, I haven't been able to positively identify this person.

Is 'M. Ellis' and 'Albert Ellis' one and the same person, or two different people? I have asked local historians, and had an article in the local community magazine, but so far no information has come to light  :-\

I've even consulted some of the electoral registers prior to 1939, as well as post 1945 (none were published nationally from 1940 to 1944). There were a couple of Ellis families living in Winterton, but I just can't link anything.

If anyone knows the identity of 'M. Ellis' and 'Albert Ellis', please contact me, as it is important that their story is properly recorded in the Winterton community - and not forgotten.

Last Remembrance Sunday, the full names, service details and ages of all the casualties listed on Winterton War Memorial were read out, but it just didn't feel right when 'M. Ellis - The identity of this person is not yet known' was read out. 

The name(s) is/are on the two respective memorials for a reason... I just wish I could positively identify them.