Author Topic: John Mickleburgh  (Read 3717 times)

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mickleburgh
« on: Sunday 14 June 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone may be able to help me trace exactly what happened to John Mickleburgh.

Born in Gissing, Nfk, c1810 he was convicted of murder & sentenced to death in 1852 at Bury St Edmunds from where he went to Ipswich Gaol. I have found something to suggest he may have been transferred to Milbank Penitentiary for life sometime after that.  It seems that convicts awaiting transportation went through Milbank. Was he transported or was he hanged?

K

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Mickleburgh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 June 15 12:20 BST (UK) »
Northampton Mercury March 10, 1888

Tragic End Of A Murderer
 Kenninghall Workhouse, Suffolk,where an inmate was killed about 12 months ago,has again been the scene of a fatal quarrel,the victim in this case being a man named John Mickleburgh,who was himself 35 years ago sentenced to death for the murder of a girl at Thrandeston Fair. Mickleburgh was an inmate of the sick ward,and among the attendants was a pauper named John Revell Burrows. A quarrel took place between them about a week ago,and Mickleburgh,who was severely beaten,died on Thursday week.
The Thrandeston murder,for which he was sentenced to death,happened so long ago that the circumstances are almost forgotten,but they were brought to remembrance a few months back by some proceedings in the Ipswich Bankruptcy Court. At that time it was reported that Mickleburgh was obtaining an honest living,and in deference to the man's own position,as well as to the feelings of the family,no public notice was taken of the old story. It appears that Mickleburgh,after his sentence was reprieved,and released twenty years later on ticket-of-leave.

Maureen

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 June 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
Excellent thank you Maureen. 

K

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 June 15 14:54 BST (UK) »
Information from 'Death Recorded' by Pip Wright.

John Mickleburgh was sentenced to death for the murder at Thrandeston of Mary Baker, his servant & mistress. According to the Suffolk Chronicle, March 20, a pleas for clemency was submitted to the Home Secretary. Reprieved as he was described as suffering from a 'diseased intellect'.(SC 10 April)
No year mentioned in the Suffolk Chronicle extracts.The trial report was in the Suffolk Chronicle 27 March 1852, so assume the other dates are the same year.

Hephzibah
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 June 15 14:58 BST (UK) »
Death Reg Norfolk?

John MICKLEBURGH, March 1888, Guiltcross, 4b 190
Age 82

1881 he appears to be in Shelfanger, Norfolk, Occp Carpenters Wheelwright, born c 1809 Gissing

I did find him 1851 with Family and Mary Baker as Servant.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 June 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
The articles (Britidh Newspapers)  I'm reading are a little confusing. Was he actually transported?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7BH-G1
(Dartmoor Convict Prison)

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFXW-CVQ

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XQMJ-YR7

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 June 15 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Maureen, Hephzibah, Trish

Thanks for all the info - yes I had found a John Mickleburgh 61/ag lab in 1871 boarding in Shelfanger & again in 1881 as found by Trish but didnt pick up on the 1861 Dartmoor Prison entry.   YOB & POB seem to fit but then I found the newspaper article that said he went to Millbank from where they are normally transported but it looks like he may not have gone. The other factor was that in 1855 the death of a John Mickleburgh is registered in the Newington RD, which could feasibly have inc Millbank & this threw me a bit.

Thanks to Maureen's earlier post I did a bit more delving & have now found a book "Suffolk Murders" one review quotes "One of the outstandingly fascinating cases recorded by the author, Mark Mower, was that of John Mickleburgh in 1851. Indisputably as bonkers as conkers," bearing in mind he tried to get off of the charge by pleading insanity there seems to be a common thread. 

His wife seems to have remarried or at least a Frances (Nunn) is living in Thrandeston in 1861 with the Mickleburgh girls.  A marriage seems to have taken place in 1858 Edgar Nunn/Frances Dale.

K

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 19:52 BST (UK) »
The articles (Britidh Newspapers)  I'm reading are a little confusing. Was he actually transported?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7BH-G1
(Dartmoor Convict Prison)

Can anyone help me with this please I am still unable to open the link & it sounds very interesting.

K

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 The link was just to the 1861 census. Sorry it doesn't seem to work. Transcrition is:

Dartmoor Convict Prison
Name:   J M
Occ:Farmer
Estimated birth year:   1808
Relation:   Prisoner (Institutional)

Where born:   Gissing, Norfolk

Piece:   1458 Folio:104 Page:5

Maureen