Author Topic: 1866 marriage registered in Great Boughton but where was it?  (Read 6912 times)

Offline Shep

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1866 marriage registered in Great Boughton but where was it?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 June 15 23:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys.

It therefore points to them marrying at the main district Register office if the sub-districts weren't allowed to register marriages. That would presumably mean Chester - just need to find a directory which gives its location e.g. Crypt Chambers, Eastgate Row? Crypt Chambers does not quite sound like a happy place to get wed!

Unfortunately, they were married by the deputy registrar and not the Superintendent Registrar.
Shepherd, Moran, Bath, Keating, Putt - Chester
Trussell - Flint / West Bromwich
Hughes - Flint / Oakenholt
Challinor / Chaloner - Chester / Wirral / Hawarden / Holt
Reynolds - Chester
Edwards - Rossett / Pulford
Strange - Chester / Shropshire
Bayliss - Rossett / Allington / Pulford

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 June 15 23:54 BST (UK) »
OK! I admit it! You've made me curious.

Why do you want to know exactly where they married?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Shep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 June 15 00:01 BST (UK) »
Why not? We all record the church but if it's Register Office not the location. Pure curiosity as to what the Register Office looked like in 1866 (if the building still exists).

Originally, I thought there may be more than one location in the same district i.e. Chester or Hawarden where they could marry. Living in Pulford, they could easily have gone to either.
Shepherd, Moran, Bath, Keating, Putt - Chester
Trussell - Flint / West Bromwich
Hughes - Flint / Oakenholt
Challinor / Chaloner - Chester / Wirral / Hawarden / Holt
Reynolds - Chester
Edwards - Rossett / Pulford
Strange - Chester / Shropshire
Bayliss - Rossett / Allington / Pulford

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 June 15 00:05 BST (UK) »
Each to their own! ;D

I rarely take any notice of which churches my ancestors married in - mainly because they all had the choice of 1 church!

P.S. My latest marriage was in Pulford!! ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 June 15 06:28 BST (UK) »
I was going to suggest the Town Hall, but this wasn't opened until 1869.   The previous administration building burned down in 1862.   Must have been some sort of temporary building that they were using in these years.

http://www.chestertownhall.co.uk/
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 June 15 07:07 BST (UK) »
When the registration act was implemented in 1837, the Great Boughton Union was divided into 4 Registrar's Districts: Hawarden, Tattenhall, Great Boughton Castle, and Great Boughton Cathedral. Each of these Districts had its own Registrar of Births and Deaths

However there was only one Registrar of Marriages for all 4 Districts. In 1837 that was William Frederick Jones Bage, registrar of Great Boughton Cathedral district. He was a surgeon, of Chester.

(Chester Chronicle 23 June 1837, page 2, notice given by Thomas Parry, superintendent registrar, Chester)

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 June 15 07:25 BST (UK) »
1857 Post Office Directory of Cheshire (page 91):

Registrar of Births & Deaths for Castle Division, & of Marriages for Boughton District: George Haswell, 34 Seller Street
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 June 15 10:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry for opening a can of worms  :) :)
The marriage cert. must show the place where the marriage took place and the person who performed the ceremony, so a marriage in a sub district several miles from the registry office, were it permitted, would surely say so.

Mike

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 June 15 14:44 BST (UK) »
... It therefore points to them marrying at the main district Register office ... just need to find a directory which gives its location e.g. Crypt Chambers, Eastgate Row?...

Unfortunately, they were married by the deputy registrar and not the Superintendent Registrar.

I would imagine that the main register office would be that occupied by the Superintendent Registrar - i.e. Crypt chambers, Eastgate row on 1864. I wouldn't read too much into marriage by the Deputy Registrar as far as the location goes, as the bits that I could read of the legislation were clear that the Superintendent had to have a deputy for marriage purposes and if specific places had to be authorised, then I can see no real reason to go to the time and trouble of authorising anything other than the single office.

Crypt Chambers has its own Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypt_Chambers. My guess would be that The Registrar used some of the building (built 1858 as a department store) as office space. The fact that it was a department store makes it unlikely that it was his home address.

Nonetheless, it would be useful to work through Directories to see if it moved. I note that George Haswell's address moved between 1857 and the 1864 Directory I quoted - maybe the sub-district Registrars could work out of home or a day-job office as it seems that they wouldn't keep their registers after completion but would pass them on to the SR. Moving the SR's office, with its archive of completed registers, plus its legal authorisation for marriages, would seem a bigger step.

Interesting - it's actually something I'd never given thought to!  :)