Author Topic: CARLETON CEMETERY, BLACKPOOL  (Read 4082 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: CARLETON CEMETERY, BLACKPOOL
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 09:59 BST (UK) »
Given where his plane crashed, the death registration in Blackpool is puzzling unless that's where his body was eventually found.

If he crashed in August and his death was registered in the December qtr - it suggests possibly one of 2 things:

His body wasn't found until on or after 1st October

His body was found before that but identification was only made after 1st October
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 11:02 BST (UK) »
There is a completely new twist to this story!  My Polish friend has (possibly) visited the wrong cemetery.  A new find in the Polish war dead websites gives the address of the burial as Talbot Road, Blackpool.  I believe that this can only mean Layton Cemetery.

There is also a plot 437 and Section BB of this cemetery so I am now beginning to think that the information I have received so far was wrong.

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you should contact these people. They might be interested in the story and be able to find the grave for you.
http://www.layton-friends.org/

Heather

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 June 15 02:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who replied to this post.  He was originally buried in Layton Cemetery (confirmed by the Cemetery office) but was exhumed in November 1949 and transferred to Holy Cross Cemetery, North Arlington, New Jersey, USA. where he was re-buried in the same grave as his brother (?) who was a sergeant in the US Army and who was also killed in the conflict.

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 July 15 14:57 BST (UK) »
I have discovered that he married a Mary M McInerney in Burnley during the 3rd quarter of 1942 which means in a very short period between 1st July 1942 and 19th August 1942 (he was killed on 20th August).  If the wedding was reported in the press, ther might be a photograph.  Can anyone suggest which was the local newspaper of the day?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 July 15 15:16 BST (UK) »
Please see earlier replies #2 and #4 which ruled out that marriage as a child was born in 1944
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 July 15 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol,

All is not as it seems!  There is a note on the entry which refers to the child's real father and his name was later changed, after she eventually married the father.  The child was not from her first marriage as Grzegorz was killed on 20th August 1942.

I was hoping for a press report with photograph because I have not been able to find a photograph elsewhere and I am trying to add Grzegorz to memorial sites in England and Poland.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 July 15 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

You have been busy. Looks like all your hard work has paid off as that's quite a story unfolding.

I don't know Burnley so hopefully somebody else can help re: newspaper

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 July 15 17:36 BST (UK) »
I have now tracked them and found that he ran away from home to join our air force.  He ran from US Law which made it illegal to fight for another country, he ran from his father who was a pacifist and he was killed only 11 days into his squadron service.  Three years later his younger brother was conscripted into the USAAF and was killed in 1945 when his aircraft was shot down over Germany.  I know their life stories but I can't find a photo of Grzegorz and that is all I am missing now!