Author Topic: Person from Province of Quebec.  (Read 6655 times)

Offline vfrye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Person from Province of Quebec.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 July 15 03:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, hitting a wall is always a bit annoying but this is what make research fun !
Could you please give me when and where they lived ? If I find something, I will let you know !  :)
FRYE from Somerset, Maine, Canada
RAYMOND from Meuse, France
PERRON, SUIRE from La Rochelle, France
BEAUPRÉ from France

Offline KNormoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 July 15 13:22 BST (UK) »
For this part of my family I may not break through this wall.  Here's a link to a previous thread I had posted.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=708324.0

Normoyle/Normile - Montreal Canada from Limerick Ireland
Burton - Montreal Canada from Cheshire England
O'Connor - Limerick Ireland
Myers - Montreal Canada
Perrier/Perrier dit Barthelemi - Quebec Canada
Pion/Pion dit Lafontaine - Quebec Canada
Finlay - Western Canada & U.S.A
Tonks - Montreal Canada from Staffordshire England
Sinn - Montreal Canada from China
McNulty - Ballina county Mayo Ireland
Bristol - Montreal Canada from Derbyshire England

Offline vfrye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BEAUPRÉ from France

Offline KNormoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 21:54 BST (UK) »
Yes,

I have copies of his HBC records, putting him in Spokane House that Finlay built and was posted in 1824. 

I also have Jossette's baptism the day before her marriage but it also does not have her parent's names, but says she was born in 1800 at forte des prairies.  Jacques Finlay was stationed at Forte des Prairies in 1800.

MNO says it's not enough proof. 

I'm sure there were lots of Finlays running around a Fur trading post in 1800. 
Myers - Montreal Canada

Offline vfrye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 July 15 04:18 BST (UK) »
That's weird cuz usually, parent's name are on marriage records. I read it and there is absolutely nothing.
Did you contacted any historical society of Edmonton or Fort Edmonton ? Metis Nation National Council ?
http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/links.html
There is a lot of place where you can call and ask for information. Maybe someone knows.
BEAUPRÉ from France

Offline KNormoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 August 15 22:14 BST (UK) »
That's weird cuz usually, parent's name are on marriage records. I read it and there is absolutely nothing.
Did you contacted any historical society of Edmonton or Fort Edmonton ? Metis Nation National Council ?
http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/links.html
There is a lot of place where you can call and ask for information. Maybe someone knows.

MNO don't help individuals with research.  It's up to you to prove it.  There is another Metis organization in Ontario that will do the research of course for a fee.  I'm not sure about them being recognized by the Metis National council.

Myers - Montreal Canada

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I have an elusive relative, my husband's great grandfather, who is not French Canadian but did live in Quebec for some 30 years (1844 - 1874) and we can find next to no trace of him there. I am not sure if you can help.

William HARRIS was born in Buckingham, England in 1826. He became a stone mason and came to Canada, landing in Quebec, aboard the 'St. Anne' along with other poor people from his hometown. Then he disappears ... or at least I have not found him! He next reappears in March 1874 when he marries Maria Ann PIERCE in Fitzroy Twp., Carleton County, Ontario, just over the river from Quebec. He is nowhere to be found on any Ontario census before that, so I believe he was working somewhere in Quebec until a job took him to Ontario one day and he met his future wife and stayed.

One small clue - a cabin in Quebec! William's son, William John HARRIS (1879 - 1952) lived most of his life in Fitzroy Twp. but spent a good bit of time in a remote cabin in the small hamlet of Grove Creek, Quebec which is 18 km northeast of Otter Lake. He later brought his own children there at times. The family had no money so I am wondering how they bought a little cabin? It could be that they did not buy it but inherited it from the elder William HARRIS, as this was his home before he went to Ontario in 1874. I am not sure how to connect this to William HARRIS ... by land records perhaps?

I am very unfamiliar with Quebec research. Perhaps you could tell me where I might find some hints as to where William HARRIS was living in those missing 30 years (1844 - 1874) as I am clueless about where to look. Thank you!!

Mary
Ontario
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline vfrye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 20 May 16 04:51 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

I have an elusive relative, my husband's great grandfather, who is not French Canadian but did live in Quebec for some 30 years (1844 - 1874) and we can find next to no trace of him there. I am not sure if you can help.

William HARRIS was born in Buckingham, England in 1826. He became a stone mason and came to Canada, landing in Quebec, aboard the 'St. Anne' along with other poor people from his hometown. Then he disappears ... or at least I have not found him! He next reappears in March 1874 when he marries Maria Ann PIERCE in Fitzroy Twp., Carleton County, Ontario, just over the river from Quebec. He is nowhere to be found on any Ontario census before that, so I believe he was working somewhere in Quebec until a job took him to Ontario one day and he met his future wife and stayed.

One small clue - a cabin in Quebec! William's son, William John HARRIS (1879 - 1952) lived most of his life in Fitzroy Twp. but spent a good bit of time in a remote cabin in the small hamlet of Grove Creek, Quebec which is 18 km northeast of Otter Lake. He later brought his own children there at times. The family had no money so I am wondering how they bought a little cabin? It could be that they did not buy it but inherited it from the elder William HARRIS, as this was his home before he went to Ontario in 1874. I am not sure how to connect this to William HARRIS ... by land records perhaps?

I am very unfamiliar with Quebec research. Perhaps you could tell me where I might find some hints as to where William HARRIS was living in those missing 30 years (1844 - 1874) as I am clueless about where to look. Thank you!!

Mary
Ontario

Omd!
I'm so sorry for replying that late! I don't know if you find more information about William Harris but I'm going to look at it if you are still interested!
BEAUPRÉ from France

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 20 May 16 22:40 BST (UK) »
Oh please don't worry about how long it took to reply! I do genealogical research off and on so no big rush. Thank you for checking for me though. Much appreciated. :)

Mary

Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull