Author Topic: Newtownards/BallyBlack Paisleys  (Read 8603 times)

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilmood
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 22:08 BST (UK) »
I think there are two Drumhirks.  GENUKI lists the townlands in the parish of Newtownards and Drumhirk is listed.  There is also definitely one in the parish of Kilmood.  The marriage of David and Agnes says they are living in Drumhirk, Kilmood, and in 1866, the birth registration of their twins says they are in Drumhirk, Kilmood.  It would make life a lot easier if there was only one Drumhirk!

On the subject of the twins, I found their death registration in 1867 Newtownards in Familysearch.  They are still not named, even though they were born Oct 30th 1866.  The odd thing is that I tried searching for their deaths in GRONI so I could order the death certificate and I couldn't do it.  No sign of the baby boy, but the baby girl was shown as age 0 1867 Newtownards.  I proceeded with the search to look at the results, and it produced Eliza Paisley, aged 36!  I know I'm doing it correctly, because I successfully ordered the marriage certificate of Hugh Paisley and Eliza McMillen in 1846.  Unfortunately, it will be sent by second class mail, so I dread to think how long that will take to get to Canada!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 22:12 BST (UK) »
Why are you ordering marriage certificate via the post? You can view scanned image thru GRONI's site.

Will have a look for the twins...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 22:16 BST (UK) »
Because I couldn't see how to do that!!  I went to GRONI, which directed me to NI Direct.  Is there another site?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 22:24 BST (UK) »
From GRONI- searched deaths 1865-1868 Paisley (variants)- 12 results including-
D/1867/200/1024/1/365   Not Captured   Paisley   30th October 1866   0      Female   Newtownards
D/1867/200/1024/1/366   Not Captured   Paisley   30th October 1866   0      Female   Newtownards
(next entry is 36 year old Eliza)

Next narrowed down results to Newtownards district- 6 results including the 3 above ones.
Then narrowed down to Kilmood sub-district and 2 result- the unnamed females.

Here are the likely birth reigstrations you found-
U/1866/200/1024/1/464   Not Captured   Paisley   30th October 1866   Female   Gamble   Newtownards
U/1866/200/1024/1/465   Not Captured   Paisley   30th October 1866   Male   Gamble   Newtownards

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 22:41 BST (UK) »

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 22:51 BST (UK) »
Yippee!! Thanks to you, I have mastered this now.  The problem was that I was clicking on Order Certificate instead of Enhanced View.  Anyhow, I was able to view the boy baby's death certificate just fine.  He died 2 hours after the birth.  However, the reason I am so excited about this is that the informant present at the death was Jane Gamble, who I strongly suspect was Agnes's mother (Agnes also named her first daughter Jane.) This lends more support to the possibility that their second daughter, Susanna, was named after David's mother.  Third daughter was named Agnes.  Of course, Jane could be Agnes's sister, not mother, but I think it is more likely Agnes' mother with with her at what appears to have been a difficult delivery and for a couple of hours afterwards when the twins were dying.  Thank you so much for all this guidance!  I truly appreciate it.

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 June 15 19:53 BST (UK) »
I have now ascertained that Agnes Gamble's mother, Jane, registered the deaths of the twins and have found her death in Drumhirk, Kilmood in 1877.  I have also found the death of a Jane Paisley in the same Drumhirk in 1864 aged 73, so she is a likely candidate for David Paisley's mother.  I have seen the marriage certificate of Hugh Paisley and Eliza McMillen in 1846, Bangor, a week before David married Agnes Gamble.  Hugh's witness was a David Paisley, whose signature is remarkably similar to that on my David's marriage certificate, with the same little circular loop over the P.  There is a fly in the ointment, however.  Hugh is a weaver of Conlig, who says his father is Robert Paisley, a labourer.  I suspect this Hugh is my David's brother, reflected in the names of David's sons, but it seems odd that if they were brothers and Hugh knew his father's name, why didn't David?  When Hugh remarries, he again says his father was Robert.   I suppose it could suggest that Robert was dead, or more likely, Hugh and David could be cousins, not brothers, and David's father was the William of Drumhirk with the gun license between 1832-6.  According to Familysearch, this Hugh died in Newtownards in 1876, but I cannot find him in the GRONI death registers, even with the variant search.  Is it possible that some deaths weren't registered?  It seems unlikely, I would have thought.  I am now investigating Robert Paisley and Jane Wright, who, according to Derek Beattie's website had a Mary Jane in 1833 and a John in 1836, but there is no indication of where this information came from.  I am unable to use the link Derek provides to contact him.  Does anyone know a different way of contacting him?

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Newtownards/BallyBlack Paisleys
« Reply #25 on: Friday 18 September 15 15:35 BST (UK) »
Probably the best research tool for Presbyterians in Co. Down is Ray A. Jones "Ulster Pedigrees: Descendants, in Many Lines, of James Orr and Janet McClement Who Emigrated from Scotland to Northern Ireland ca 1607". Jones's book is based on the Gawin Orr of Castlereagh MSS in the Linen Hall library in Belfast.

The index to Jones's book lists 501 surnames of people who married into the Orr extended family, including William Paisley of Drumhirk who married Mary Robb, daughter of John Robb of Ballyskeagh and Jane Corry of Tullinagardy. I don't have dates, but it would be late 18th c./early 19th c.

Harry

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Newtownards/BallyBlack Paisleys
« Reply #26 on: Friday 18 September 15 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry,
Thanks for the response.  I was aware of this book and had contacted the Linen Hall Library (I live in Canada and do not have access to the book) but I never heard anything from them.  I suspect this William Paisley is from Drumhirk in the parish of Newtownards, not Kilmood, where my Paisleys were in the 1840s-60s, but he is definitely someone to bear in mind, as I haven't yet ascertained where the Paisleys were from before Kilmood.  I believe I have found my David Paisley witnessing a marriage of a Hugh Paisley in 1846 (same signature as on David's marriage certificate a week later) and, unusually, David says he is of Conlig, and I suspect he may have been mining there for Lord Londonderry.  David married at the Newtownards Register Office before Lord L. brought some of his tenants out to the Durham coalfield because of the Famine.  So I am still interested in Newtownard and area Paisleys, but I think that, although they might have the same roots as the Ballyblack ones, they were probably not close, mine being more associated with weaving and hosiery than farming
Carolyn