Author Topic: Edward Rich (Ritch) parents lookup please  (Read 8191 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Rich (Ritch) parents lookup please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 23:20 BST (UK) »
I have a James Cutt b. North Ronaldsay X Mary Smith b. Stronsay, 26 May, 1846, Scapay, St Ola, & lived on Eday, seven kids the youngest an Isabella Rich Cutt, wonder how that happened?

Skoosh.

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 00:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help. I'd love to meet some of the rellies so will definitely get in touch with the OFHS.
Cheers
Alison

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 18 June 15 13:45 BST (UK) »
 Alison, solved the Rich connection. Isabella Rich Cutt's mother Mary Smith had a sister Isabella who married an Andrew Rich, Deerness.

This from the excellent  website,      http://www.raymillar.co.uk/

Skoosh.

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 June 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Skoosh,
Glad you solved your puzzle. I'll bookmark that site. It may come in useful at some time, although my Ritch/Rich family is from Hoy. But who knows?

Cheers,
Alison  :)

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 June 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
Edward Ritch died in 1874 at Mount, Rackwick, aged 77, his parents were Edward Ritch and Jessie Thomson.( Scotlands People ) On the 1841 census at Greenhill there is Andrew Thomson aged 70 living on independent means, so could be uncle ? There is a good book " Hoy The Dark Enchanted Isle" you might find interesting, it mentions some of the Ritch family and their history, ( The covenanters Memorial ) Deerness. The Ritch families in Orkney are supposedly descended from survivors of the sinking of " The Crown " off Deerness, a vessel which was chartered to take 250 covenanters to America as slaves, 50 or so survived, two of which were called Ritchie, in order to throw their enemies off the scent they shortened their name to Ritch.

Hope you get the chance to go to Rackwick when you visit Orkney, its a beautiful atmospheric place, remember to visit Betty Corrigalls grave en-route,  oops I see you have already found your Edwards parents, hopefully the other info will be useful
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline ajf25

• RootsChat Veteran
  • David John Hawker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 27 June 15 03:07 BST (UK) »
There is a good book " Hoy The Dark Enchanted Isle" you might find interesting, it mentions some of the Ritch family and their history, ( The covenanters Memorial ) Deerness. The Ritch families in Orkney are supposedly descended from survivors of the sinking of " The Crown " off Deerness, a vessel which was chartered to take 250 covenanters to America as slaves, 50 or so survived, two of which were called Ritchie, in order to throw their enemies off the scent they shortened their name to Ritch.

Hope you get the chance to go to Rackwick when you visit Orkney, its a beautiful atmospheric place, remember to visit Betty Corrigalls grave en-route.

Wow, thanks akc.
I must see if I can read this book. I haven't heard any of this before.
We will be going to Rackwick. Apparently there is still a cottage (or was a few years ago) on Hoy. Just a matter of finding it!

Cheers,
Alison  :)