Author Topic: Taylors of Brampton  (Read 3653 times)

Offline DeniseBS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Taylors of Brampton
« on: Tuesday 16 June 15 03:21 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on George Taylor of Brampton, possibly buried 1821 Brampton (NBI) aged 69. He may have had a wife Alice.

His daughter Eleanor (Ellen) Taylor married John Bott in Huntingdon in 1815. John died in Canada in 1828 and Ellen then married Samuel Hilliam in Huntingdon in 1832.

Sarah Taylor was a witness to Ellen's marriage to John  Bott in 1815. Am assuming this to be Ellen's unmarried sister.

Possible Sarah married Thomas Fullard and settled in Thorney, Cambridgeshire. No marriage found as yet. This couple seem to start having children around 1816.

Any information about the Taylor family from Brampton including other possible siblings for Ellen would be appreciated.

Thanks

Denise
;D

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Taylors of Brampton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 07:39 BST (UK) »
Marriages, per Hunts Marriage Index, which might be relevant:
Brampton 1773 George Taylor & Ann Chafer botp
Brampton 1792 George Taylor widower & Alice Doughty widow botp
An Ann Taylor was buried in Brampton in 1779

As far as I can see Ellen Bott wasn't described as a widow on marriage to Samuel Hilliam

Thomas and Sarah Fullard baptised six children in Thorney in 1823. so unless there were multiple births they'd have been going some to fit them all in from 1816. What's the evidence that the Sarah Fullard in Thorney was née Sarah Taylor? There's a marriage in Brampton in 1811 between Thomas Fullard of Broughton and Sarah Pick otp, which fits better for a couple who had six children by 1823. There's also a marriage in Brampton in 1815 between Sarah Taylor and John Green (of course, if the marriage was before the 1815 marriage of Eleanor Taylor then this can't be the right Sarah).

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline DeniseBS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 13:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info about the marriages of George Taylor in Brampton.

The reason I thought Ellen's sister Sarah may have married Thomas Fullard is because she was one of three Sarahs born in Brampton on the 1851 census who were born around the right time.

I had conditionally eliminated two, Sarah Jinks or Jenks and Sarah Lantaff, because I found the marriages and the previous name was not Taylor.

The earliest child of the six Fullard children christened in Sep 1823 was Thomas born c 1816, then William c 1818, Francis c 1820,  George Henry c 1822, and Edward c 1823. Don't have a date for John as he appears to have died before the 1841 census. He could possibly have been the eldest and not at home by the 1841 census of course.

However, I agree that the marriage of Thomas Fullard to Sarah Pick in 1811 is most likely the couple who settled in Thorney.

Your mention of a Sarah Taylor marrying a John Green in 1815 piqued my interest though as Sarah Lantaff had been Sarah Green before she married James Lantaff in 1821 in Hemingford Abbots. He had previously been married to Sarah Daniel who died in 1819. They had about nine children and then he had a another two with the second Sarah.

There is another thread on here where his daughter Elizabeth, with his first wife, married secondly a William Allen after being married to James Gaunt.

I can't find a death of a John Green between 1811 and 1819 on the NBI but may have been in a parish not covered.

I am sure the marriage between Ellen Bott and Samuel Hilliam is John's widow. There is only one Bott family in Huntingdon at the time and she is the only Ellen. Co-incidently Samuel Hilliam was the widower of Ellen's deceased husband John Bott's cousin (not first), Ann Newitt,  whom he had married in Godmanchester in 1827.

Denise

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 September 15 13:49 BST (UK) »
Just briefly checked Brampton
bapt george taylor, son john/alice1752-1821
james chafer son george/ann 1774
1776 george son george/ann
1778 luke son george/eleanor/ellen
sarah d geoge/ann 1788
eleanor d george/alice 1793
sarah 1795 dau george/alice.
george son george/alice 1.4.1798.
marriages george= ann chafer 25.10.1773
george=elizabeth groom 11.10.1779
13.8.1792 george taylor, widower.=alice doughty widow.
       burials
ann wife of george 9.7.1779
george 1786
bedford taylor 1784
george son george/eleanor 1785
eleanor wife george 1790
susan dau george/alice 1800
elizabeth 1819,84.
george 69, 1821
elizabeth 74.1824.
Margaret.

Offline DeniseBS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 21:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that information Margaret. It adds to my knowledge, but now also raises more questions and avenues to be explored. I appreciate you taking the time and making the effort to lookup and send this information.

Cheers

Denise

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 September 15 08:19 BST (UK) »
Thats O/K we are all here to help, as best we can.Margaret.