Author Topic: George Crouch and family 1841 Census  (Read 17447 times)

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: George Crouch and family 1841 Census
« Reply #27 on: Monday 22 June 15 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

Welcome to Roots chat where I know you will find so much help and loads of like minded folks who are always exploring the past in some way or other to help each other.

I like many others have purchased the Oxfordshire Family History Society (OFHS) CD's on to which have been transcribed the Parish Records from many parish churches around Oxfordshire and part of neighboring Royal Berkshire which was transfered to Oxfordshire in 1974.

Over the centuries many county boundaries were moved in and out of the adjoining counties just to make this exciting hobby so much e .... harder!!!.

My first recommendation would be to join the OFHS from where you too can purchase so, so much information and seek the help of very knowledgeable people. WE all help on here and on the Oxfordshire board many of us have purchased the OFHS CD's, I personally have a collection of records from the OFHS which I have bought over the years at a cost of almost £1k - no small amount. I shall look up the info Valerie asks about in her last post but I do think that you would benefit from having at least 2 CD's to hand at home -  They would be OXF-AB03 for Stadhampton and OXF-TH03 for Great and Little Milton's.

There are many other sources of information, Marriage Index , Baptism Index etc etc see their on line catalogue the link is in Wendy Archers comments above under IFFLEY.

When you have posted I think 3 replies on here you can use the PM facility to contact each other and then we can trade mail addresses which will be easier .

So the records I looked at are not the originals they are held by the Oxfordshire County Archives at 'St Lukes', Cowley Rd, Oxford which is part of the local government Oxfordshire County Council. Google them, they too will help you as well. But to see an original parish record - if it has been deposited, some are with the church it self, you have to go to St Lukes. But it may be possible, perhaps through here, to get some one to see the actual register and take a photo of it? Or simply come over to England and explore the records your self - easier said than done?

Does this help - I hope so? If you need ANY more info then do ask wont you?

Nigel

Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 22 June 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
Valerie / Sharon

The first 5 are from the Great Milton Parish Records:
Elizabeth CRUTCH 1817-182? - Baptised 2 Dec 1817 d o George a  labourer and Priscilla of Ascot (you can now see Ascot on the Ordnance Survey Maps, Ascot Farm to the East of Stadhampton). Buried aged 7 on 12 April 1925 of Little Milton

Charles CRUTCH 1821-1837 - the Charles who was baptised 12 Aug 1821 was s o George and Charlotte of Little Milton - I think this may be a mistake as there is no other record of a George and Charlotte? Cannot see the burial in Great nor Little Milton so this needs more investigation

Jane 1823-1827 - Baptised 26 Oct 1823 d o George and Priscilla of Little Milton. Buried 24 June 1827 aged 4 yrs

John 1826 - Baptised 26 March 1826 s o George and Priscilla of Little Milton

Alfred 1830 - Baptised 9 Aug 1829  so George and Priscilla of Little Milton

From here it begins to get a little complicated because the remaining children are not listed in Great nor Little Milton. Nor are they listed in Stadhampton so I assume the family were attending a different church / es or they had moved away.

At this time Edward Crutch and Priscilla begin having children baptised in Stadhampton where at the same time and on occasions Martin and Sarah CRUTCH are also having children baptised. They do not use the same first names for their children as George and Priscilla. They were close, as both these Stadhampton couples shared the same service day for baptisms of their children. I suspect Martina and Edward were brothers.

This is a classic example of why you need the CD's because in slow time you can or most likely can, unpick each of the children and parents, grand parents etc to see where they may have been living or baptised etc before leaving for Canada.
A point to note was that iF a church was offering relief (financial support or otherwise) to the community it was quite usual (in my experience) for a family to move from one church to another if better relief was on offer!!
So at this time I cannot see the baptisms for

Thomas 1831 -
Francis 1832
George 1834
Caleb 1838
Eliza born 16/4/1840

If you join and ask OFHS they may (for a small fee) find them on their baptismal index for the county and that will help no end. Currently that baptismal index for Oxfordshire is one CD that does not yet appear to be for sale!!

If you can find out where they may have been living during this periods tell me and I will see what I can find.

Hope thsi all helps?

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 22 June 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
  I suspect Martina and Edward were brothers.

There's quite an age difference between Edward and Martin.

From censuses, year and places of birth are:

Martha b 1777 - 1781 (age 60 rounded in 1841)b Oxon
Martin b 1784 Ascott.
George b 1789 Oxon poss Little Milton.
Edward b 1807 (Little) Milton
Priscilla b 1807 Ascott  (Edward's wife)

If Edward and Priscilla Cruch were cousins, then somewhere there is Edward's father who would be Martha's brother.

Possibly related are:
Mary Crutch b 1786 Askot (sic) Oxon  - unmarried, living, Chearsley, Bucks on 1851 census. In 1861, Mary is with her daughter and son in law (James and Mary Piddington) in Upper Winchendon. Her status is widow, but it does look as if something has been overwritten. birth place is Asket, but definitely says Oxon not Bucks. Maybe enumerator or son in law more familiar with spelling of Askett near Monks Risborough
William Crutch b abt 1814 Ascott, Oxon - chimney sweep, living Watlington with wife Sarah and family in 1851.

Another Cruch family living in Stadhampton in 1851
John b abt 1816 Brookhampton
wife Ann b abt 1823 Stadhampton, children Henry, John and Sarah. Also in household Thomas Impey visitor 4 years old b Stadhampton.
In 1871 this John is a widower living with his unmarried brother Thomas. Thomas was born in Ascot, Oxon about 1813.

So quite potential family building up.

Added

Thomas born Ascott looks like the one with Martin in 1851 (unmarried son), so Thomas and John would seem to be Martin's sons.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 22 June 15 09:49 BST (UK) »
Just found James Piddington's marriage to Mary Crutch jnr on 6 Feb 1840, her father is named as Jonah Rose (a carrier). James was a widower. So it looks as though Mary snr was unmarried and Cru(t)ch was her maiden name.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 22 June 15 10:49 BST (UK) »
There is an old thread on RootsWeb which mentions that Martin Crutch married Sarah (Higgins) in Great Milton on 2 Nov 1812 (would need to be verified by someone with access to the records).

The same thread also has baptism of William Crutch (date matches with that of the chimney sweep) son of Martha (servant). 

From the years of birth and birth places where known, I suspect Martin and Edward's father were brothers and also brothers to Martha, Mary and George

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 22 June 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi to all.

I have purposely held back as I see  much info has already been supplied  by others.

It would appear that George & Priscilla baptised their children either in Little Milton or Benson.

I list below the baptisms I have found in Benson just to add "some meat to the bones";
18-3-1832 Francis Crouch s/o George & Priscilla, labr, of Roke
18-5-1834 George Crutch   "       "             "         "           "
16-3-1836 Emma       "     d/o     "             "         "           "
8-4-1838 Caleb          "     s/o     "             "         "           "
17-5-1840 Eliza     Crouch d/o     "            "          "        Benson

Burials;
30-3-1836 Emma Crutch aged 3 weeks, of Roke
27-9-1838 Charles    "       "    17                "

This is the extent of Crutch/Crouch etc  in the Benson. Extracted from the Cd OXF-WAL02 from the OxfordFHS

Hope it helps.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 22 June 15 11:12 BST (UK) »
Alan - Really nice find with the Benson connection, very interesting

Lizzie - Great information and finds, very impresive, you've hooked me, it is becoming so interesting!!!

Valerie - are you still in on this?

Sharon  - are you taking up the quest from Valerie? If you are going to buy at least the OXF-TH03 CD from OFHS I wont add much more info as it will spoil your search and resulting finds for you.

Lizzie

I agree Edward and Martin are more likely cousins and looking at the PR's the information is all there on the CD but until Sharon answers above I'm not going to add more in here and risk finding all her answers. But I suspect like you would like to see them in here for all to read???

But as a answer to a couple of points
These are the baptisms listed in the Gt Milton PR's and some detail:

CRUTCH Alfred 1829
CRUTCH Charles 1821
CRUTCH Edward 1807
CRUTCH Edward 1835
CRUTCH Elizabeth 1817
CRUTCH Elizabeth 1818
CRUTCH Jane 1823
CRUTCH John 1798
CRUTCH John 1826
CRUTCH Martin 1785
CRUTCH Mary 1812
CRUTCH Mary 1821
CRUTCH Priscilla 1807
CRUTCH Richard 1794
CRUTCH Sarah Lilian 1905
CRUTCH Thomas 1813
CRUTCH William 1809
CRUTCH William 1813

Martin Crutch baptised 2 Oct 1785 s o Thomas and Mary of Ascot

George Crouch baptised 25 May 1790 s o Thomas and Mary of Ascot

Richard baptised 12 Jan 1794 s o Thomas and Mary of Ascot

John baptised 27 May 1798 s o Thomas and Mary of Ascot

Priscilla Crutch baptised 15 Feb 1807 d o Mary.  bastard - Ascot

Edward Crutch baptised 26 Apr 1807 s o James and Mary of Ascot
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 22 June 15 12:26 BST (UK) »
Wow, Crutches everywhere now!

So where does the elderly Martha who was with Edward and Priscilla and family in 1841 fit in? If Priscilla Crutch was the illeg daughter of Mary (not Martha), she would be the sister of the Mary who married James Piddington (I think).

Offline Designer Jeans

• RootsChat Veteran
  • We are who we are because they were who they were
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 22 June 15 16:59 BST (UK) »
Blimey Moses!

Just got in from work and thought I would have a quick cup of tea and see how the Crutch family were doing….  I never expected in a million years that you guys would have come up with such amazing info, thank you all for taking so much time and trouble.

This family is nothing to do with me, but it is compulsive, and so, yes, still in there Nigel.  Now, off to get a large sheet of paper and draw up some trees.  Methinks it will have to be beans on toast for supper.

Back asap
Valerie
Derbys: Ward, Hopkinson, Bradley, Birds, Clarke, Taylor, Daykin, Gent, Vardy, Cotterill, Stocks, Godber, Dronfield, Charlesworth, Bonsall, Purseglove
Notts: Clarke, Freeman, Kitchen, Allcock, Housley, Swanwick, Berrisford, Farnsworth, Antcliffe
Staffs: Nutt, Bowring
Yorks: Holling, Fish, Kay, Hardy
Lincs: Plummer, Broughton, Wellbourne