Author Topic: Charles Family Mullingar  (Read 8867 times)

Offline samlouise01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Charles Family Mullingar
« on: Tuesday 16 June 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hey,

I am just wondering if any of you have the above family listed in your family trees? I am having a right time getting records for a Matthew/Mathew Charles b.Circa 1839 in Mullingar. I was hoping to find a record of the family and whether the name ever changed? (anglicised or not?) if anyone could help i would be grateful!

Thanks,

Sam
Westmeath - Charles/McCormack/Cullen/Shaw/Kenan

Dublin - Moore/Sweetman/Giles

Kildare- Morrin

Tipperary- Dooley

Sussex- Guile/ Turner

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Family Mullingar
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 18:30 BST (UK) »
If you go to familysearch and click Ireland on map, then look for the Surname in Irish records, see what shows.. no date or location to start with!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 21:06 BST (UK) »
Hey,

I am just wondering if any of you have the above family listed in your family trees? I am having a right time getting records for a Matthew/Mathew Charles b.Circa 1839 in Mullingar. I was hoping to find a record of the family and whether the name ever changed? (anglicised or not?) if anyone could help i would be grateful!

Thanks,

Sam
www.nationalarchives.ie  - Griffith Valuation Records shows a Matthew Charles in Townland of Culleen Beg, Mullingar in 1854. Same site in 1901 Census shows Matthew a widower, In 1911 he seems to have remarried (married 10years)

Offline samlouise01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi hallmark, Thanks, i have tried that but unfortunately nothing is showing.

Ballydw- yes that would be the same Charles' all Matthew's right the way down to my uncle! is there a way to find out what he was farming?, I know Mullingar natives are called Heffer's as it is cattle country. and i believe he is a Tennant farmer and didn't own the land is that correct? As my Grandfather told me that one of His grandfathers had money, but lost it all due to being a drunk lol and local court proceedings show him being drunk and disorderly on many occasion, also is an entry that he was robbed at his farm by an unknown armed gang! i am really interested in this side as i am wondering if he came from a line of farmers, and if so, how did they survive the famine.  They are listed as Catholics (as we still are) and so i doubt they would have received much help,

I am just wondering how far his name goes back as "Charles" and whether this was a regular Anglicisation of a last name. I have read it is Cathal, but that is more a first name i believe.

Kildare- Morrin

Tipperary- Dooley

Sussex- Guile/ Turner

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 22:08 BST (UK) »
RC registers are due for release 8th July, free, on line!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline samlouise01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
haha i know. i am just so bloody impatient!  :'( :'( :D :D

Kildare- Morrin

Tipperary- Dooley

Sussex- Guile/ Turner

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 00:22 BST (UK) »

I am just wondering how far his name goes back as "Charles" and whether this was a regular Anglicisation of a last name. I have read it is Cathal, but that is more a first name i believe.

Looking at the church records on Irish Genealogy there are 6 COI records for Charles starting 1672  in Dublin and 223 RC Charles in the 1700s

According to this it comes from the German name Karl.
http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?fuseaction=Go.&UserID=

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 06:12 BST (UK) »
Possibly the same family relating to Matthew Charles from Cullion who is reported below as being beaten in 1834:

http://www.dippam.ac.uk/eppi/documents/10849/page/242103

In the report immediately above that for Matthew Charles, you will see a reference to the townland of Cullion Beg (Culleen Beg), I can also see several other online references suggesting that "Cullion" was a placename in the same vicinity as the townland.

Also this about St. Brigid's Well at Cullion:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23885771@N03/4346798196

No sign however in the tithe applotment records for the area of 1833, maybe he didn't have a holding over 1 acre at that point (you can see some read across of names to Griffith's Valuation - the strange name at no. 5 is presumably what Griffiths lists as "Eurell"):

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625703/004625703_00350.pdf

BTW, I can only see one person with the surname "Charles" in County Westmeath in the tithe applotment records, however it is clearly written "Charles".

RootsIreland has a number of baptisms in County Westmeath from mid 1820s to early 1840s where the father is called Mat(t)hew Charles, including a son of that name in 1835 and 1839.

Offline samlouise01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Sinan, Thanks for that, yes I can see that also. I know that it was common practice to change names and religion due to the conditions they were enduring!

Hi Gaffy, yes this is them. They didn't come from Mullingar  town itself but Cullionbeg near to st Brigids well. but that is only about a 15-20 minute walk out the town. (5 minutes in a car)

So there would have been another older Matthew who was the father of our 1839 Matthew... the list gets longer!

i think i am going to have to make another trip back home to do some research!

Kildare- Morrin

Tipperary- Dooley

Sussex- Guile/ Turner