Author Topic: Branton, Presbyterian - Mole family 1790s  (Read 4653 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Branton, Presbyterian - Mole family 1790s
« on: Tuesday 16 June 15 21:29 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage from 1832 at Eglingham, see attached, between Ralph Waugh widower and Jane Mole.  Going by later censuses Jane was born around 1791 at Alnham/Prendwick.  Their only issue Elizabeth is baptised at United Presbyterian, Cheviot Street as "Bessy" Waugh in 1835.  Looking at Branton Presbyterian on Familysearch, which I think was closest Presbyterian church to Jane Mole's birthplace, there are two possibles  ::)

Jane Mole, baptised 6th June 1791, born 5th June to parents James Mole & wife Jane

Jane Mole, baptised 8th June 1791, born 21st May to parents James Mole & wife Elisabeth

Does anyone have sight of the actual registers that might be able to tease out any extra detail, if there is any, that might help distinguish between the two families ??  As far as I can see there are siblings Mary 1792 & Andrew 1795 for the daughter of James & Jane but none for the daughter of James & Elisabeth.  On the marriage register entry below one witness is Alexander Mole but I'm not sure where he fits in, he doesn't look like a brother to Jane but I've not been able to tie him down as a brother to a James Mole either  ::)   

I'm totally stuck (as was my late uncle was for years before me) getting back past Ralph but that's another mountain to climb  :-\

Thanks for any help or ideas, Pete

Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Branton, Presbyterian - Mole family 1790s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 June 15 23:59 BST (UK) »
I will be at the archives tomorrow so can take a look for you.

I have to question the liklihood of two Jane Moles with father's called James being baptised so close togather but more confusing things have happened  :-\   Just wondering whether one of the records you have is a transcription and another submitted.

Hopefully all will be revealed tomorrow  :D

Christine

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 00:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Catherine that would be great 8)

I was flummoxed myself as to how there could be two Jane Mole baptised just two days apart with father's having the same name... its like they are actually trying to make it harder  :-\

The two entries from Familysearch are these:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N1TT-MH8    6th June 1791 with mother Jane

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N1TT-3LQ     8th June 1791 with mother Elisabeth

Pete

Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 01:13 BST (UK) »
I'm sure they were determined to make it harder  ;D

There is only a suffix difference between the two records - both from the Branton Presbyterian church - though one has more records on than the other.

Here's hoping tomorrow enlightens us.

Christine

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 11:27 BST (UK) »
From the transcript of Branton baptisms - the only entry for the 6 June 1791 is for Jane the daughter of James and Jane Mole, residents of Low Barton, Parish of Whittingham, born 5 June 1791. The other two children were also born at Low Barton.

However, the next entry is for Ann Wear, daughter of William Wear and his wife Elizabeth, born 21 May 1791, baptised 8 June 1791. I should say it is a mistake in the transcription, the two entries being confused. The first one for Jane daughter James and Jane given above is correct.

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
"the two entries being confused"  ::)

Thank you so much jora I was boxed into a corner there otherwise  8)  ...it definitely looks like whoever transferred the info onto Familysearch had been at the herbal tea  :P  Which transcription was it you were able to check so I can note it down on my files jora ?

Low Barton is just the other side of Whittingham from Alnham/Prendwick which Jane Mole gave as place of birth on later censuses but I think that's easily covered by Alnham/Prendwick being where she actually grew up rather than born.  The farm actually shows up on the Armstrong 1769 map.

Family ties to Whittingham seem to be getting stronger as Ralph Waugh & Jane Mole's son, also Ralph my gg grandfather, married a Lisle from a Whittingham :)
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline jora

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
The transcript is for the years 1785 - 1809, and I did it for Berwick Record Office. There is a copy at Woodhorn.

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 12:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks jora, I'll note that down.

Pete

UPDATE:
- found the exact reference   BUR/P/6/32 Baptism register 24 Oct. 1785 - 8 Aug. 1809

-Jane Mole's mother was a Jane Collingwood whose father was Matthew Collingwood.  Looking at the 1769 Armstrong map the Collingwood name is on Prendwick and a house just to its south.  Unfortunately Jane Mole was my ancestor's second wife so I've missed out on some "posh" there  :-[
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 19:11 BST (UK) »
Spot on, Jora, I checked the microfilm of the original and then the old handwritten transcription and came to the same conclusion.

The one and only Jane Mole was born at Low Barton, parents James and Jane.

Christine