Author Topic: Looking for relatives of Emmie Smith from Burra (daughter of Thomas and Ophelia)  (Read 9609 times)

Offline violinlizzy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My late maternal grandmother was Emmie Smith from Burra. She was the daughter of Thomas (I believe) and Ophelia Smith. She had siblings, one of whom was a younger brother called George who sadly passed away in around 2008 (just the following year after I had been to the island and met him with my mum and sisters).

Contact with any other relatives from Shetland has been non-existent, and so I am really keen to get in touch with any of them! I am fascinated by Shetland and I feel a deep connection to this side of my family (not least because of my years of fiddle playing).

It might be worth noting that Emmie left the island at the young age of 17 to settle in mainland Scotland (Dundee area), where she then met and married my mum's father, Harold Livingstone.

Any information would be very gratefully received, especially as I live in the south of England and have only ever visited Shetland once.

Elizabeth

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for relatives of Emmie Smith from Burra (daughter of Thomas and Ophelia)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 June 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
If you haven't already done so, a good way to make surname connections with other members is to enter your surname interests in the Surname Interests Table (SIT), and to check there whether others are researching these names. 

This can be found at http://surname.rootschat.com/ , there is a link to it under "Your Tools" at the bottom of each Rootschat page.

The more people who enter their surnames, the more chance there will be of making a connection!

In the meantime, I'll move this thread to the Shetland board.  ;)
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Elizabeth,  have you tried Tony Gott's superb website,  http://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Hi Elizabeth ,

I wonder if this is the family -
http://www.bayanne.info/Shetland/familygroup.php?familyID=F34533&tree=ID1

Emmie Grace Livingstone(other surname Smith) death 1996 Forfar Angus , born c1915.
Mother's maiden name Pottinger.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline violinlizzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.

Yes, ev, that is indeed my granny! Wow, I'm just going to the link now to see if I can find out more about her parents...

Elizabeth

Offline Maree C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for relatives of Emmie Smith from Burra (daughter of Thomas and Ophelia)
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello My grandfather was James Thomas Smith whose parents were Peter Smith and Margaret Pottinger.  My name is Maree Croxon I live in Australia but have family both Smith and Pottingers in Shetland. Contact me on maree.croxon@gmail.com.

Offline TNK

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 November 16 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth, I believe I am a first cousin of your mother as my late mam Norna was a younger sister of Emmie, she said when she was about 15 she went to Scotland from the Shetlands to help Emmie as she had quite a few children, my mam said they lived in the Highlands and all the kids played the fiddle as Harold their father taught them all from a young age.