Author Topic: Westchester County Probates  (Read 5959 times)

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Westchester County Probates
« on: Wednesday 17 June 15 04:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
A distance 1st cousin, Alison SKIPWORTH, (nee GROOM) originally from England arrived in U.S.A 1907, worked as an actress and died 09 July 1952 in N.Y.

She married  Frank Markham SKIPWORTH in 1888 England and traveled on the SS Majestic to New York 1907 with her husband. She had no known children when she died 05 July 1952, her husband having predeceased her in 1929.

My question is where would I look in USA to locate  a probate for her? Have checked the UK and not found one as yet so now turning my attention to America, especially New York. She was buried in Kensico Cemetery, Westchester County, New York.

Thanks
Deb

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Westchester County Probates
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 10:17 BST (UK) »
Couldn't see anything listed at the Westchester Archives covering 1952

http://archives.westchestergov.com/archives-faqs/how-to-use-wills-and-probate-records

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 11:53 BST (UK) »
From the page that Sandra linked to:
To obtain copies of wills from 1942 to the present or probate records from 1922 to the present, please contact the Surrogate Court directly at (914) 824-5634.

Did she live or die in Westchester County?  If not, you may have to look elsewhere for probate records.

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 June 15 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Alison died in New York 1952 and is buried in Kensico Cemetery, Westchester County, New York,

I do not live in America so was hoping there may be a website with credit card facilities  that I can access to order a probate; was hoping to find the probate and pay to have it digitized and then I could download it. Ringing the Surrogate Court from my part of the world is a bit difficult :)

Thanks
Deb

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 June 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
Dying in New York doesn't necessarily mean she died in Westchester County.  It may refer to New York City or New York state.  The latter includes Westchester County, as well as many other counties.  If she lived in Westchester County, it seems more likely that her probate would be filed there.

There is definitely no website that I'm aware of with a credit card option.  I'd also be surprised if digitizing is an option.  There is a website with a fax number for the Surrogate's Court - https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/9jd/contactus.shtml or an e-mail for the general court - https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/9jd/contactus.shtml

Offline SLStephens

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 June 15 13:43 BST (UK) »
www.findagrave.com states she died in Manhattan.  You might contact the person who entered the information about her for further details.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 June 15 14:31 BST (UK) »
I've seen some brief obituaries that had a dateline of New York and said that she died at her home here.  I'd more inclined to think that means New York City.  As there is limited room for burial space in the city, it's not uncommon for people to be buried elsewhere, particularly if they had money.  I don't see anything that indicates she lived in Westchester County.  The 1940 census lists her as a hotel guest in New York City. 

There is a New York Times obituary for her that may be more detailed, but it requires payment or subscription.  http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9F04E2DE153AE23BBC4F53DFB1668389649EDE

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 June 15 01:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I shall contact the contributor to findagrave. Have had a look at NY Times and as yet haven't come across her obit but lots of items about her and her death notice so the hunt continues.
Thanks
Deb

Offline Debe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 June 15 01:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I shall contact the contributor to findagrave. Have had a look at NY Times and as yet haven't come across her obit but lots of items about her and her death notice so the hunt continues.
Thanks
Deb