Author Topic: Where Am I? No. 64 - Nondescript Church - St Mary, Hitcham  (Read 10821 times)

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Where Am I? No. 64 - Nondescript Church - St Mary, Hitcham
« on: Wednesday 17 June 15 06:10 BST (UK) »
This one looks like it has some age to it!

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 66 - Nondescript Church
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 07:37 BST (UK) »
This looks like a challenging one - not much to go on is there?

Flint again, but looks like the tower has been 'clad'.  :-\

What is the angular shaped 'thing' to the right of the buttress - it appears to be in front of the church - is it a trimmed hedge or tree? (not that it will be any help in identifying the church, but I'm just curious)

There looks to have been a door/window blocked off at some stage - and some work done to the top window in the tower. Small windows so likely to be quite old. It will probably be in Norfolk or Suffolk again.  ;)

Far left of the photo - what is that? Is it a wheel beside or attached to something? Wheel looks to be about 6' high ...  :-\

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where Am I? No. 64 - Nondescript Church
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 07:47 BST (UK) »
I hope this one does get found, as I can't wait to find out what that is to the right of the photo.  I think it's a large hedge or maybe a shaped confer.  No idea what that is at the base of the tower.  The original photo is in very poor condition with quite a bit of silvering so I can't get it much clearer.

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 07:51 BST (UK) »
I thought a conifer too, but odd to have it's top sliced off like that.
That 'wheel' on the far left is very odd too.
Shame they are no clearer in the original ....  :(

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 07:59 BST (UK) »
I think the "wheel" is a large headstone quite close to the photographer, same on the right hand side in front of the hedge/tree thing giving an odd perspective.

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 08:00 BST (UK) »
The roof looks like it is matting, but in actual fact it is tiled.

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 08:02 BST (UK) »
There also appears to be "hand rails" outside the church door.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 08:04 BST (UK) »
I think they are gates, not hand rails.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 08:06 BST (UK) »
Maybe the one on the left is a headstone, but it appears to be butt up against something else. I can't make it out at all - and can't work out the proportions.

I can see a small pale coloured headstone to the left of the door (as we look at it) but can't see anything in front of the conifer.