Author Topic: Nanny Hodge b. 1865 Moonta Mines, South Australia.  (Read 6937 times)

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nanny Hodge b. 1865 Moonta Mines, South Australia.
« on: Wednesday 17 June 15 15:10 BST (UK) »
I am trying to do some research about a family and I am getting quite confused about the whole thing and hoped someone would be able to help me.

In particular I would like to find out more about the family of Nanny Hodge, who I believe was born at Moonta Mines, South Australia in 1865 and died in Adelaide in 1927. She married Andrew Wight (1866-1950).

Due to newspaper archives I am absolutely certain that her father was John Hodge (jnr), born abt 1839 in England, died in a mining accident in 1881 at Moonta Mines. She left a message of remembrance in a newspaper in 1889.

My understanding is that John Hodge (jnr) emigrated to Australia with his Father John Hodge (snr) and step mother Catherine Sallar (or Sellar).

The problem comes when I try to confirm Nanny Hodge's birth mother. Her birth record of 1865 says that her Mum was Catherine Sallar, but I believe this might actually be her step-grandmother. It would be more logical if her mother was Ann Trevorrow- who is listed next to many other births with a husband John Hodge. In saying that, in June 1865 there is a child born to John Hodge and Anne Trevorrow at Moonta. Nanny Hodge was supposedly born to John Hodge and Catherine Sallar in October 1865, also at Moonta - just a few months apart.

So what is going on here? Is the wrong name listed on Nanny Hodge's birth record? I feel like all the pieces are in front of me, I just can't put them together.
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Nanny Hodge b. 1865 Moonta Mines, South Australia.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 18:42 BST (UK) »
My suggestion would be to get the death cert of John Hodge(jnr) ref #1865-18/162 who's father is listed as John Hodge (snr).

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 21:05 BST (UK) »
It appears that John Hodge senior married Ann Bodilly 14 Nov 1835 Redruth . She died in 1848 . ( Details from an Ancestry tree ). He then married Catherine Sellor in 1851 J-S Redruth v 9 p 302. According to the same tree they emigrated 18 Mar 1853 from Southampton Docks , arriving Port Adelaide 19 June. Looking at the 1851 census Catherine Siller was born Redruth in 1832 , making her nearly 20 years younger than her husband. That being the case I think it is quite possible that Nanny Hodge was their child.

This appears to be the Passenger list referred to :

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/marygreen1853.shtml

Apologies if this is duplicating what you already know !
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 22:24 BST (UK) »
Well if Catherine SELLOR/SALLAR/SILLER was born 1832 then she was only 33 years of age in 1865! Well young enough to be the mother of Nanny HODGE and the half sister of John HODGE (JNR).

Many thanks to CB53. ;)

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 23:33 BST (UK) »
ONLINE INDEX   https://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html

South Australian births for the surname HODGE for the year 1865 include
 :) Nanny HODGE, with father as John HODGE and mother as Catherine SELLAR, registered in the Adelaide district.  Ref 37/522.   
May I also note that there’s a birth indexed for 1854 for a Nanny HODGE, with parents as John HODGE and Catharine SALLAR, in the Murray/Burra district #6/206, and a death indexed for 1861 for a Nanny Hodge in the Adelaide district #9/305.  Further there’s a marriage in 1887 for a Nanny HODGE and Andrew WIGHT, registered Adelaide district #153/35

There is also a John HODGE birth, with parents as John HODGE and Ann TREVARROW, registered in the Adelaide district that same year.  #33/409.   May I note that a John Hodge and Ann Trevorrow married 1860 registered Burra District in 1860  #41/316

It is entirely possible that there was more than one chap named John HODGE in the colony of South Australia in 1865.

I understand that there’s scant information available on South Australian BDM certs, however, may I please ask if you have any of the above mentioned certificates (apart from the 1865 birth cert for Nanny) to help sort out the apparent confuddles that you are asking about. 
I am trying to do some research about a family and I am getting quite confused about the whole thing and hoped someone would be able to help me.

So what is going on here? Is the wrong name listed on Nanny Hodge's birth record? I feel like all the pieces are in front of me, I just can't put them together.

So from Nanny Hodge's 1887 marriage certificate, does that document help you to determine Nanny's parents details, or at least name her father, and does it give the names of the witnesses? 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 23:48 BST (UK) »
here is marriage announcement

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article36419800

WIGHT-HODGE.—On the 1st October, by the Rev.
E. G. Day. Andrew, eldest son of William Wight, of
Gawler, to Nanney, second daughter of the late John
Hodge, of Moonta Mines

regards
  Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 23:56 BST (UK) »
I think Nanny had siblings  :)

Births registered in South Australia with mother as SALLAR/SELLAR/SELLARS (and dad as John HODGE)

1854 Nanny Hodge #6/206 (see earlier post re death of 8 year old by that name in 1861)
1860 John Hodge, with mum as Catherine Jane SELLARS at Burra  #19/41
1863 William Hodge with mum as Catherine SELLAR  #27/272
1865 Nanny Hodge, with mum as Catherine Sellar (see earlier post re this lass)
1868 Mary Hodge, with mum as Catherine SELLAR  #61/129,  possible infant death 1869 #34/18

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 June 15 00:18 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/34274594
SA Advertiser 17 Dec 1881 mentions both John HODGE the miner tragically killed and his 16 year old son John.  (page 5)  John, the son was present down the mine.

The In Memoriam notice in The Advertiser 16 Dec 1889
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/24489960
HODGE – In affectionate remembrance of my dear father, John Hodge, who was killed at Boddome’s shaft, Moonta Mines on December 15 1881.  Inserted by his loving daughter, Maesey WIGHT.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 June 15 01:21 BST (UK) »
It appears that John Hodge senior married Ann Bodilly 14 Nov 1835 Redruth . She died in 1848 . ( Details from an Ancestry tree ). He then married Catherine Sellor in 1851 J-S Redruth v 9 p 302. According to the same tree they emigrated 18 Mar 1853 from Southampton Docks , arriving Port Adelaide 19 June. Looking at the 1851 census Catherine Siller was born Redruth in 1832 , making her nearly 20 years younger than her husband. That being the case I think it is quite possible that Nanny Hodge was their child.

This appears to be the Passenger list referred to :

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/marygreen1853.shtml

Apologies if this is duplicating what you already know !

Ummm.....  Was there THREE generations of John HODGE

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/34274542 SA Advertiser 16 Dec 1881. 
John Hodge, a miner aged 40, was killed ……

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/47095243  SA Advertiser 16 Dec 1881.

So, Dec 1881 this John HODGE was aged 40 and with a son, John aged 16, and a daughter who by Dec 1889 was surnamed Wight.   

So 1881 less 40 gives likely year of birth of 1840ish, so possibly the husband of Catherine Sallar/Sellars/Sellar was a son of the John HODGE who married Ann Bodilly 14 Nov 1835 Redruth.   Perhaps "aged 40" is an estimate, perhaps he was aged in his 40s.    Perhaps this is that chap :
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JWWV-B62
 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JQ9L-KRV 

Cheers,  JM