Author Topic: Advice/information please if possible  (Read 9720 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice/information please if possible
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 June 15 11:12 BST (UK) »
HEY

I've come across WAY too many people whom come across any piece of random information and just run with it  ::)

I LOVE when people are thorough  ;D

Tara

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 June 15 12:31 BST (UK) »
Defo a 9 !

Aghadowey,

You may know this ~ and I think it was Ticketyboo's original question as such.

Obviously there were / are  the civil register books ~

Those registers were obviously centralised at some point.

So, back in 1917 when this lady was looking for her birth cert what was the procedure ~ ie prior to photocopies or print outs of scans of the original registers (which I'm presuming is done these days).

Back in 1917, would the procedure have been for the original book to be 'taken out' and then a clerk to write the information onto an individual cert ?

Now that I think of it that's probably what would be done !

Hum would certainly lead to errors if so !

Tara

If you look at Civil Reg stuff you'll see Jan/Mar etc as the books were sent in every quarter to the main office in the county.

My son was registered in Drogheda, if I want to see that actual register I have to go to Dundalk to see it, as that is the main Office. 

For many, a birth etc at end of December is very often not registered until January, so somebody born Dec 1926 will be in Jan/Mar 1927 book. In order to increase security and stop people changing Certs a special ink was used so most changes can be spotted.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 June 15 12:40 BST (UK) »
Do you know what the procedure was in 1917 though Hallmark, for someone living abroad.

I presume you could send a letter to the GRO of the time asking for your birth cert.

The crucial point here though was HOW did a clerk in the GRO in 1917 GIVE you your cert ?

I am working on the presumption that there was no photocopiers at the time.

SO, did the clerk go to the register and then proceed in handwriting you up a copy of what was written in the register ?

This 'copy' was then posted back to you, I presume.

My point being, if this was the scenario, then human error could happen !

Tara

Offline graham saunders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 June 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
if you have the parental name and parish a baptismal cert will verify the information and these are usually held in the local parish,

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 June 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Graham, all I know is that she was born in Kilcooley in the Union of Urlingford and the informant was a lady called Margaret Butler who gave her address as New Birmingham.

We have always assumed (rightly or wrongly) she was a family friend/relation and perhaps helped out at the birth and then registered the birth.

How easy/ involved would it be to apply for a baptism record?
 I assume that if they are still held at the parish, the local priest must be inundated with requests and may not have time within his main role to deal with them.Is there a 'right way' to apply, or should I see if I can find an address and write off  to see what happens?

Boo

Offline graham saunders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 15:02 BST (UK) »
the local parish is Gurtnahoe co tippeary whicc incorporated Kilcooly and New Birmingham and I would suggest writing to the parish ofices who will ether confirm the have it or where it is now held some parishes  passed their records to private companies    good hunting

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information and help, much appreciated

I've made a note and will wait till I get the scan I ordered from the GRO and see if that gets me any closer to knowing 'which' year she was born. No matter where I order records from, its usually much easier (and cheaper) if I know in advance 'when' the event was likely to take place :-)

Boo

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice/information please if possible-Update
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 July 15 22:52 BST (UK) »
Me again, not really any further forward  - yet!:-)

to re-cap

Sarah Frances O'Connor was born in Tipperary in the 1880s, moved to Liverpool, England with her family c 1900. Her son (my Pa in law who is 91) tells me his mother's birthday was 21st January.

I have her parents' mariage record which states they married on 21st Feb 1882

England census 1901, she is listed as being 16, born Ireland
England census 1911, she is listed as being 27, born Ireland, Tipperary
Everything on those 2 census returns checks out with what we know about the family.

The family have a birth cert, issued in 1917 (applied for from England, just before she married) for Sarah Frances O'Connor
it reads: 1889 Births registered in District of Kilcooley, Union of Urlingford, County Tipperary
Date and place of birth: 21st Jan 1889, Name Sarah Frances O'Connor, Father: Daniel O'Connor of Mellasane, Mother: Catherine O'Connor formerly Delaney, Father's occupation: Farmer,
Informant: Margaret Butler (X, her mark) present at the birth, New Birmingham, Registered 29th Jan 1889.

My puzzle was that the year on the birth cert was not consistent with the info given on 2 census returns.

I checked the Irish GRO Register and could not find a registration in 1889 for a child called Sarah, surname O'Connor, Connor, Connors which puzzled me further.

I 'could' find a likely registration for a Sarah Connors registered in Q1 1883 so I applied for a photocopy of the entry.

That came today and reads:
1883 Births registered in District of Kilcooley, Union of Urlingford, County Tipperary

Date and place of birth: 21st Jan 1883, Name Sarah (no middle name recorded) Connors, Father: Daniel Connors of Mellasane, Mother: Catherine Connors formerly Delaney, Father's occupation: Farmer,
Informant: Margaret Butler (X, her mark) present at the birth, New Birmingham, Registered 29th Jan 1883.

I accept that sometimes a child died and the family would later use the same name for a subsequent child, but the absence of an 1889 birth reg and the odds against two children being born on exactly the same day and month but 6 years apart are fairly high so, at the moment, that scenario is doubtful.

I have emailed the GRO in Ireland to ask if the scans they issue are from the 'original, completed at the time of registration' register or if they are from a 'copy of the original register made by the local registrar who then kept the original records and sent the copy register to the GRO central office' (as would have happened in England, I have no idea what would have happened in Ireland)

I have also sent off an enquiry form to the Tipperary Family History Research office in Tipperary where the RC Parish records are held. I have asked if there are baptisms for a child of this name and parents in both/either 1883 and 1889 with the intention of buying copies of both if they exist.

I (and my Pa in law) are still leaning towards the theory that the cert issued in 1917 was mistranscribed by a busy registrar who put down 1889 (3 times!) in error. Sarah received the cert and thought Yes! I am now only 2 years older than my intended, rather than 6 :-) Further records (her marriage and death certs) show that she stuck to being born in 1889 from there on.

So still not solved my problem, but am taking baby steps to get to the bottom of it.

If anyone can think of other lines to pursue if the steps don't resolve the puzzle, I'd be interested.

Boo

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.