Author Topic: Advice/information please if possible  (Read 9833 times)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice/information please if possible
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey

As in ~ the lady in question could have altered it when she received it !

Wow, I never thought of that.

Something to bear in mind  ;D

Tara

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 23:07 BST (UK) »
We, if she told her intended husband she was 29 years old but was really six years older then she may have found it easier to 'adjust' the certificate rather than confess her age, especially if he thought they would be having a family together  ;D
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I'm just wondering ~

1. Does it matter ? I suppose it depends on how closely related they are !

Probably only to me, I tend to investigate all discrepancies, I like to be as sure as I can and document things properly. That means I look for a civil reg that corresponds to the certificate and I can't find one to match the year on the birth cert but I CAN find one (which may or may not have an accurate transcript on another site) that does match. Its odd. I don't actually care how old she was or wasn't when she married. She was my husband's grandmother and therefore in his direct line, if I can't get the direct line properly documented I am 'really' stuck!

2. Is the date the exact same, ie date and month ?

Yes, both the birth cert and the transcript have 21 Jan, which tallies with my aged Pa in laws knowledge of his mother's birthday.

3. I would trust rootsireland LESS than an actual cert that the lady in question had gotten herself. 

I have ordered quite a few official certs over the last 15 years that were handwritten at the time of issue by a local registrar from the details in the register. Its rare, but at least two had mistranscriptions -which were then returned and corrected.

Rootsireland is great but I have come across a lot of errors on it.

I view all transcriptions as a finding aid and from the details try to get a copy of the original to be sure of them, hence my original question as to whether the register the GRO has is the original, or if that would still be held at the local registrars, as would have happened in England with a copy of the original register going to the GRO - I don't know how the system worked in Ireland

4. Do you want to give us the persons name to see what / when there are registers to correspond with it ?

Thanks for the offer, much appreciated as is your interest and input, but I'll wait and see what the photocopy entry says, then may come back if I am still stuck. Its puzzled me for a very long time now :-)

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 23:49 BST (UK) »
We, if she told her intended husband she was 29 years old but was really six years older then she may have found it easier to 'adjust' the certificate rather than confess her age, especially if he thought they would be having a family together  ;D

he he!  not beyond the realms of possibility, but having seen the cert it didn't happen in this case. She 'could' probably have done it these days, given the correct stationery and a good graphics package but I've zoomed right in on it on the scan, the date is in 3 separate places and I'd bet my boots its as the registrar wrote it back in 1917 :-)

Boo

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 18 June 15 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi There

I take it the cert was always in your husbands family's possession ?!

The reason I asked about the date was that I was wondering if this lady had an elder sibling with the same name.

This elder sibling could have died in infancy and then the name was passed on, which was common.

It would make it rare though for both of them to have the same birthdate though !

Oh Well,

Sure let us know if you do / don't get the answers that you want !

Tara

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 18 June 15 10:38 BST (UK) »
he he!  not beyond the realms of possibility, but having seen the cert it didn't happen in this case. She 'could' probably have done it these days, given the correct stationery and a good graphics package but I've zoomed right in on it on the scan, the date is in 3 separate places and I'd bet my boots its as the registrar wrote it back in 1917 :-)

I'm a bit confused here- do you have the actual 1917 certificate or are you just viewing a scan of it?

It wouldn't have been that difficult to change a 3 to a 9.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 18 June 15 10:48 BST (UK) »

I'm a bit confused here- do you have the actual 1917 certificate or are you just viewing a scan of it?

It wouldn't have been that difficult to change a 3 to a 9.

The original 1917 cert has always been in the family, I also have it scanned. Looking at both of them I really don't think its been altered in any way at any time.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 June 15 10:57 BST (UK) »
Defo a 9 !

Aghadowey,

You may know this ~ and I think it was Ticketyboo's original question as such.

Obviously there were / are  the civil register books ~

Those registers were obviously centralised at some point.

So, back in 1917 when this lady was looking for her birth cert what was the procedure ~ ie prior to photocopies or print outs of scans of the original registers (which I'm presuming is done these days).

Back in 1917, would the procedure have been for the original book to be 'taken out' and then a clerk to write the information onto an individual cert ?

Now that I think of it that's probably what would be done !

Hum would certainly lead to errors if so !

Tara

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 18 June 15 11:05 BST (UK) »
I take it the cert was always in your husbands family's possession ?!

Yes, its was at the back of a drawer for many, many years, now unfolded and filed properly in archive quality folders :-)

The reason I asked about the date was that I was wondering if this lady had an elder sibling with the same name.

This elder sibling could have died in infancy and then the name was passed on, which was common.

It would make it rare though for both of them to have the same birthdate though !

Yes, I have a lot of that in my tree, but if that had happened I 'should' be able to find both civil registrations for the birth and a civil reg for the death of the first one. I can't, so this is my next theory to be explored.

Sure let us know if you do / don't get the answers that you want !

I will do, I'm grateful for the interest and possible scenarios/theories. Its not a case of I want the answer to be one way or another, I just want an answer that I can put in the box marked, 'having explored all possibilities this is the most likely scenario'  :-) May not get it, but I'll plod along in hope!

Boo