Author Topic: Edinburgh Castle Garison 1888-1900  (Read 6121 times)

Offline CUMBERLAND SAUSAGE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edinburgh Castle Garison 1888-1900
« on: Thursday 18 June 15 07:29 BST (UK) »
My Grandmother was born in the Barracks at Edinburgh Castle in 1900. Her father, who died around the same time, was a serving Soldier, but I can find no information relating to him. If I can find out which Regiments were garisoned at the Castle around that time I can then continue with the search.
I have tried the Castle but no information was forthcoming.
It was at the time of the Boers Wars so possible he was a casualty in those.
Any information will be appreciated

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Edinburgh Castle Garison 1888-1900
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 June 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
The Royal Scots are associated with Edinburgh Castle.

Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Unë kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 June 15 12:16 BST (UK) »
Any possibility of a surname?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 June 15 12:25 BST (UK) »
His full name was ARCHIBALD THOMAS PATTERSON SCOUGAL.
He died around 1900 which was when the Boer wars were on.
 If I can find which Regiments were garisoned at the castle at that time I could then look them up.
Thankyou all for your replies

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 June 15 12:46 BST (UK) »
The Edinburgh Evening News (British Newspaper Archive) indicates that the 3rd battalion Gordon Highlanders were in the castle in the early part of 1900 awaiting deployment to the front ( I presume South Africa). They were supposed to leave March /April as there is reports that the barracks will be taken over by 2nd battalion Royal Scots Reserves on their departure. There are several reports of delays to the departure of the Gordons including one in June when there was apparently an outbreak of Scarlet Fever in the barracks. I can't find any definite date for their departure but it would appear that the Gordons were there at least Jan- June 1900.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 June 15 15:08 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Isabell You have given me a very good starting point, much appreciated.
David. t

Offline Unë kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 June 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
There is an Forces War Records listing for a Sgt A Scougall 1902 HMS Sappho, used as a troop ship but ran aground in 1901 during the campaign.   Seems to be a regular thing for HMS Sapphos!

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/hms_sappho.htm

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 June 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
The 1901 Scottish census has a Margaret Scougal age23, married, born England living in Mylnes Court which is right beside Edinburgh Castle. With her is her son Archibald age 1 born in England. He would appear to be Archibald Patterson Scougal born in 1900 in South Shields. By 1911 he ( Archie Patterson Scougal jnr) seems to be with his father (listed as Archie Patterson snr ) lodging in Durham. Archie jnr is age 11 born Monkton Durham and Archie snr is age 42 born Tweedmouth. Archie snr is a Widower.
Findmypast has Army records which seem to tie in with Archibald snr which suggest he was a serving soldier in the 1880's and 1890's.
Don't know if this is relevant but it is an unusual name and quite a lot of coincidences if not. Can't see a Scougal birth in a Edinburgh in 1900. Was she born with a different surname?
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 June 15 03:38 BST (UK) »
First  Isobel thank you for the time you have taken to help with my search:
At first your reply didn’t appear to have any link, but now I think that it does. My great Grandmother was called Margaret (nee Chambers) and was I believe born in Norwich. (Still searching for proof).
The 1911 English census has a Margaret Scougal 27 year old widow and daughter Winifred 8 years old visiting the Pigford family in Dudley. Winifred is said to have been born in Edinburgh Barracks. One of the Pigford children was born in Turfontein Transvaal, which brings the Army and Boer wars into the equation.
I appreciate the ages of Margaret are different, but I have found many such differences in censuses so do tend to pay less importance to them.
My GM always told us that she was born in Edinburgh Castle, I think she meant the Garrison to the castle. I did a search through the Edinburgh records office for my GM using both Scougal, Cutter and Cutler, but nothing showed up.
There are many Scougals in the North East and I do believe that is where Archie came from. I also know that is where my GM & GGM returned to after Archie’s death because my GM grew up in Shiremoor. I have been through the Scougalls on the North East but can’t find one will ALL of my GGF names!!! Again not that important as often not all names were added to the census forms by those who compiled them.
I think that my GGM married again in 1912, to a Mr. Thomas Cutter, but what happened there I do not know as Mother and daughter moved to West Cumberland to live. My GGM lived with a Robert Millward in Workington, I can find no proof that they ever married. My Gm married my GF the result of which is this enquiry!!!
What I am trying to do is find regiments garrisoned in Edinburgh at the time of MY GM’s birth. If my GGM was born in Norwich then that is where she would meet up with Archie. If he was a serving soldier then his Regiment would likely have been in the Norwich area 1895- 1899 say. If the same regiment is in Norwich and later Edinburgh in the correct periods then I can begin searching those regiments’ records.
It would be rather fitting if it turned out to be the Royal Scotts as my father served with them in WWII.
I hope all of this makes sense to you, again thank you for your time.
Best wishes,
David t