Author Topic: Belfast, County Down  (Read 5622 times)

Offline Paquita

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast, County Down
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 June 15 10:20 BST (UK) »
I am very grateful for all the replies.I am trying to keep an open mind. When I found the crew lists I was very surprised to see Belfast as the place of birth. I would normally have thought that the entry was for someone with the right name and age, except for the fact that the address was correct.
If he was born in Belfast/Down would that mean Belfast City ,or a wider area?
Fearon(Down,Liverpool) Trainor(Down,Liverpool)Keleher(Cork,Liverpool) Campbell(Down,Liverpool)Ryan(Kildare,Liverpool) Malone(Kildare,Liverpool)Brophy(Kildare) Dromgoole(Kildare) Domenech(Spain)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 June 15 10:42 BST (UK) »
It's not terribly uncommon to see 'Belfast' as place of birth for someone who has moved overseas- my grandfather's uncle who died in the U.S. in the 1890s had Belfast listed as his place of birth in his obituary even though he was born and raised 50 miles away.

It might be that your ancestor was born in Co. Down but reared in Belfast (or the other way around) but there's really no way of knowing from the details you have so far.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Paquita

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 June 15 12:32 BST (UK) »
I fear that this man is going to cause me more problems than I expected,but trying to find him will keep me out of mischief I suppose.
Fearon(Down,Liverpool) Trainor(Down,Liverpool)Keleher(Cork,Liverpool) Campbell(Down,Liverpool)Ryan(Kildare,Liverpool) Malone(Kildare,Liverpool)Brophy(Kildare) Dromgoole(Kildare) Domenech(Spain)