Author Topic: A Possible lookup Elsdon or nearby early 1700s  (Read 3197 times)

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Possible lookup Elsdon or nearby early 1700s
« on: Friday 19 June 15 10:08 BST (UK) »
Elisabeth Mather  married John Scott 14th May 1733, St. Cuthbert's church in the parish of Elsdon. Both of the Parish.
Elisabeth's headstone at Belford where she died 1776 says she was 74. I would like to find a birthdate and  parents for her.
John Scott died in Stanhope ( where his daughter Jane was living) in 1793. I would like to find his birthdate and parents too.
Since it might help with parents names their children were:
Luke b.1734  Elsdon
James and Jane (twins) b.1736 Hartburn
John b.1740 High Angerton
Matthew b. 1745 High Angerton
Elisabeth and John Scott  were my 5x gt grandparents. I have found out quite a lot about their descendants and am keen to find out more about these two. I live in New Zealand so I cannot look up registers and will be very grateful for any help

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: A Possible lookup Elsdon or nearby early 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 June 15 19:25 BST (UK) »
Elsdon parish records are available online -

https://archive.org/details/registersbaptis00goog

Christine

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 15 23:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Christine - I had no idea they were available online. Could you please direct me to any information which gives advice on the way to search, or any tips you might have for searching such a resource.  My quick initial search went nowhere. It is just one year since I became interested in family history and I  still feel very much a beginner. Thanks again Jo

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 June 15 01:36 BST (UK) »
I tried again and succeeded in getting the text and found John and Elisabeth's marriage but no births using the ' search'  I wonder how accurate the  'search'  is and should I just go through entry by entry in the likely years. I wonder how wide the Elsdon parish extended. 

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 June 15 09:46 BST (UK) »
For information about parishes see http://communities.northumberland.gov.uk/Communities.htm and also www.genuki.org.uk

Www.family.search.org has an interactive map http://maps.familysearch.org/

Familysearch also have unindexed images of the Bishops Transcripts covering at least some years for quite a few Church of England parishes and marriage bonds.

In many parts of Northumberland a significant proportion of the population were non- conformist and in particular some type of Presbyterian. There are big holes in these records. Most will still be buried in the nearby C of E churchyard as there usually no other options outside Newcastle upon Tyne.

You can in fact search church registers and a wide range of other records from NZ by ordering films from the catalogue on www.familysearch.org to view at the nearest LDS family history. These can be found all over the place and there is a list of locations on familysearch. V moderate charge.

I am not quite sure how you have got back to the early 18th century - a significant achievement given the range of challenges in available data -without using these Kinds of resources. Maybe your family were all C of E? Just a friendly warning that if you have relied on other people's research you have found online or elsewhere, it is essential to verify this research.

There is a name index at the back/at the end of the transcript of the Elsdon parish records.
Hope this helps.

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 June 15 09:57 BST (UK) »
I find that the archive.org books vary a bit in how well the search works for them, but those parish register books have an index at the back which will list all entries for a name and then you can easily turn to the relevant pages.

To find parish registers which archive.org have online, a Google for eg "Elsdon parish registers" will usually turn up one if they have it for that parish.  Sometimes it shows up as a text version, rather than images of the original book, but if you click on 'see other formats' you will be able to see the book pages.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 June 15 20:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry I didn't get back to answer your query but SelDen and Galium have done so.  As you are relatively new to this hobby you may not realise that in marriage records the phrase 'of this parish' simply means that they have been resident for three weeks.  It doesn't mean that they were born there.  It also occurs to me that if Elisabeth's age at burial was correct then she was over 30 when she married.  It is possible that she had been married before and Mather was her first married name rather than her maiden name.

I would also echo SelDen's reservations about getting back so far, so fast, especially when you are researching from such a distance.  Not everything is on the internet even when all your ancestors are C of E.

Christine

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 June 15 20:41 BST (UK) »
Another resource, particularly useful if your family had a bit of property:

http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

Offline ejowynne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 June 15 21:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you SelDen,Gallium & Christine - I have saved all your advice as there is useful information in each of your posts. I have managed to get back so far because I have been helped by some amazing researchers in Belford where John and Elizabeth spent a lot of time. Old newspapers, a couple of wills have all added to the stories gathered and confirmed some of the records. I feel the need to stand on my own feet more and little tips such as - not necessarily  ' of the parish' , might have 'been married before' , ' name index at the back of the transcript ' - all these and the various websites you have given me will all help with that aim. THANK YOU. Jo