Author Topic: John Travis/Trevis of Brampton  (Read 2732 times)

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John Travis/Trevis of Brampton
« on: Friday 19 June 15 17:04 BST (UK) »
John Travis /Trevis of Brampton christened 1759 married Mary Gill of Darley Dale (Not to be confused with John Travis bap 1757 who married Mary Buxton also at Darley Dale!).
 I'm searching for his father, also named John, and his mother. I'm fairly clear on his descendants as I have the Darley Dale cd so don't want to waste anyone's time.

The only clues I have is the burial of Ann Travis in 1777 at Wirksworth where she is described as the wife of John Travis of Brampton. Trying to find an earlier marriage, all I can find is a marriage of John Travis to Ann Wragg of Wirksworth in March 1748, but he is described as being from Rowsley (which is close to Darley)
John Travis/Trevis 1759 had a sister Ann bap1750 (which may be a clue ti his mother's name), Elizabeth 1753, Henry 1755 ,Mary 1762 and Hannah 1765 so I am assuming his father was born @ 1720

I suspect that the Darley Dale Travis family , and the Brampton Travis family are connected, but can't find that link.

I am aware of George Travis of Brampton (got his will) who died @1725 and had four sons John, Hugh(1698), Thomas (1702)and Jonathon  (died 1733) but again can't find  John's Birth or baptism, to see if it fits

Has anyone got any ideas what I can do next?

Ruth

I
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,
travis, gill, barker, fielding- derbyshire

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: John Travis/Trevis of Brampton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 June 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruth,

When looking at the Wirksworth site did you read the information given on Ince's Pedigrees?

Ref   - Page 026b (66,84,H929.2/66)

This States that Ann Wragg dau of Adam Wragg who married John Travis, received
£40 in her fathers will  he died 14th Feb 1761 aged 87.  Her husbands mother was Ann
she died 23rd Nov. 1777 buried 26th as wife of John Travis, Gorsey Bank. (Although
it does state of Brampton in Parish Register).

The Children of John Travis & Ann Wragg:-

John TRAVIS of Derby 12 Jul 1800 living at Darley 1830
 Ann ux William COATES of Manchester butcher
 Elizabeth ux Joseph TOMLINSON of Brampton farmer
 Ellen ux William TOMLINSON of Brampton farmer
 Mary ux Mr CADMAN of Chesterfield blacksmith
 Hannah ux Thomas PERCIVAL of Lincoln farmer sometime Chesterfield

Have you found the Death/Will or remarriage for John Travis husband of Ann buried 1777?

Have you considered the Marriage Darley 1717 John Trevis = Ann Frogot.  They appear to have
produced a son John Treviss 1719.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 June 15 10:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Spendlove, this is great information!
I looked at Inces but totally missed this entry.
I have the John and Ann Frogot marriage and their children, one of which is Jesse who is the father of John who married Mary Buxton. I wondered if it was jesse's brother John  who married  Ann Wragg and went to Brampton but had no evidence, So many Johns and Ann and Marys!!! (not to mention Isaac and Benjamin in later families) They don't half make life difficult.
Don't have time now to go through everything but I'll look at all the dates later. I know there are some more wills available for Trevisse of Rowsley, maybe this will be the way to go!

Thanks again.
whyatt/wyatt - chesterfield,de rusett/quigley,crosbie -india, barber, beswick- yorkshire, astridge- portsmouth,

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
The only John Travis burial that I can find that doesn't match up to any other JT is buried in Brampton in1783- FS but original PR available to view. I haven't been able to trace a will or remarriage. I suspect this John is going to hide for a bit longer! - but I am reasonably happy that he and Ann nee wragg are the right line so I now want to look at Ann and her mother in law also called Ann
There is another entry in Ince which says
"she ob 23 Nov 1777 aged 55+" This would put her at a right age for marriage in 1748

Darley Dale PR's have a further Ann Trevis bd 1769, and Ann Travis buried 1784 (aged 70)

I suppose it is possible that the first Ann died 1769 is Ann Travis nee Wraggs mother in law. I've discounted the second because if she was born in @1714 it would have made her only 8yrs older than her daughter in law. I think this is Jesse Travis Wife Ann Nee Hadfield born 1715.

So my next search is for an Ann marrying a Trevis/Travis.  Could this be the John Trevis marrying Ann Frogot in 1717?
My brain trying to make sense of this but I don't want to jump to conclusions. Whats your opinion?

Offline ert10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 July 20 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would be interested in hearing what you have worked out for where John born in Brampton comes from as this is the line that I am interested in as well.

I believe that his father John was the John Travis born in Rowsley in 1719  and so is the brother of Jesse Travis and also  Isaac (b 1733 d1805 at Darley) who leaves money to his nephew John Travis, son of John Travis of Darley Bank (unclear which John Travis lived at Darley Bank!) also Isaac's wife (nee Mary Hinds) leaves a will in 1814 which bequeaths money to her niece Bridget Milner b 1792 (nee Travis ) and daughter of John Travis and Mary Gill (I think).

There are many generations of John Travis which becomes somewhat confusing I find. I am currently trying to determine the family of John Travis of Rowsley Hall (John Travis who was born in Brampton's grandfather if I am correct in the above info) who married Ann Frogot, then died in 1755 and left a will. There is a record in 1792 in Darley parish records of a baptism, which is unclear, but I believe to be John son of John Travis was baptised of Toadhole May 22nd.

I have been researching the Travis line, the Gill line and the Barker line as they are all ancestors (my father is direct line male ancestor of the many John Travis) and believe you have been treading these paths before me! I have seen a number of your posts which always seem very well researched and reasoned so am appreciative of your efforts.

Also thanks to Spendlove for very valuable input and links!

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 12:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry I haven't replied before, for some reason I wasn't notified, and only saw it by chance!

I have researched these lines as far as I can and I agree they get very complicated!
I need to look back before I reply in any depth to remind myself, but I agree that John born in Rowsley is the one we are looking for!
I too am descended from Travis, Gill and Barker.

My Barker link is through Jonathan, who also lived at Rowsley Hall, died 1750. John Travis lived there too and was a witness to Jonathan's will.  However most of my line is through the female side, Anne Travis (Bridget Milner's sister) who married Henry Fielding in 1811. Incidentally their son (my gggrandfather) Joseph Gill Fielding married his first cousin Bridget and William Milner's daughter  Mary, thus reducing my research lines!

I will pm you with my email address so you can let me know yours. I can then send you some details, and my research as attachments.

Did you know that  Rowsley Hall is actually The Peacock Hotel now?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
PS Don't put your email on chat it is not allowed, you will need to make 3 posts before you can send private message, but you will hopefully be able to read mine!

Offline ert10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 18:34 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply!

I will read your pm as soon as I have my 3 posts and look forward to contacting you via email then.

I have found the wills an invaluable way of gaining insights into life and connections in the 1700s. I too am connected via Jonathan Barker, brother of John Barker of Rowsley Hall. Do you think that John Travis and John Barker actually lived at Rowsley Hall or at a farm associated with it? I am tempted to think the latter, though John Barker acted as steward for Duke of Rutland, his son more so. In John Travis d 1755 will they seemed to live in a property that is two up and two down (house, parlour, chamber above the house and chamber above the parlour). He also refers to a cottage associated with the weaving shop which he leaves to Isaac.

I look forward to continuing our discussion further.

Offline ert10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 August 20 18:42 BST (UK) »
Further to my last post - I would also be interested to hear if you have had any joy researching the ancestry of Ann Wragg who married John Travis in Brampton. I have been diving down that particular rabbit hole recently and found it fascinating - with her father leaving her a share of the lead mine in his back garden! There are some interesting characters going back - the Stubbes and also a link to the Dakins. I can't see a direct link to the Dakins of Darley Dale however. I wonder if you have explored this angle? It has numerous wills linked and also marriage settlements. I think they were generally a more well off branch hence have left more records.

Looking forward to continuing our discussions.

Offline ruth52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 16:34 BST (UK) »
I have sent you an email with attachments about the Barkers and Travis. Not looked into the Wraggs in too much detail yet, or got links to the Stubbs or Dakins. I have been looking at the Gills with a possible connection to Smedleys, but haven't been able to verify it yet. Most of the Gills came from Bonsall but haven't found the link to the Darley Gills yet.

So glad we have made contact , its exciting to find a connection this far back! I don't have an online tree, but always glad to share info!
 :)