Author Topic: Owners of lairs  (Read 6246 times)

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Owners of lairs
« on: Friday 19 June 15 21:40 BST (UK) »
 Recently,while trying to find burial records for Glasgow cemeteries,I came across a site listing lair owners,unfortunately no cemeteries I'm interested in but it got me thinking.What happens when a lair doesn't have a living owner?
 I found the deeds to my grandparent's grave when my father died and I had them registered to me but there must be many, many lairs that "no-one" owns.
  If I found graves belonging to family but that have no owner,could I claim them as a relative.
   Thanks for any info

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Owners of lairs
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 June 15 21:52 BST (UK) »
Sandy, once you become the lair owner are you not maybe liable for annual maintenance bills, or in the event of a stone becoming unsafe, being possibly charged to make it secure?

Skoosh.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 June 15 23:15 BST (UK) »
Yes I can understand that,the cemetery where I have a lair is Craigton where a little boy died recently after being hit by a tombstone falling.This Cemetery used to be privately owned by the Craigton Cemetery Co,but it was taken over by Glasgow council.Glasgow council now own most of the cemeteries around Glasgow so maybe the lair owners don't mean anything any more.

Offline still_looking

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 June 15 09:24 BST (UK) »
A bit of info on lairs and cemeteries

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=11324

S_L

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 June 15 09:30 BST (UK) »
The Scottish Government has recently been consulting on a proposed bill about exactly this matter.

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2015/01/2869

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 June 15 12:45 BST (UK) »
There was a case a couple of years back when dozens of stones in a cemetery had been cast down and the council had difficulty tracing the present owners of the deeds, presumably to bill them?

Skoosh.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 June 15 16:11 BST (UK) »
 Many thanks for the info,very interesting reading the proposed changes.
   Does anyone know where the lists of lair owners is kept?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 June 15 17:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where the lists of lair owners is kept?

The list of lair owners is kept by whichever council or company operates the cemetery. In the case of Glasgow, it's probably the City of Glasgow Council, who charge for looking up their burial records. There may be a microfilm copy of the list in the Mitchell Library.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 June 15 20:27 BST (UK) »
 Yes I know that The Mitchell has burials in Glasgow and as you say they are probably on micro fiche which is a pain to look through unless you have dates which I don't.
  I came across The Glasgow and West of Scotland Family History Society(I think that was it)and they have burial records on CDs so I'm going to look into that.
 In the past I've bought CDs of burials in different places to find non of my ancestors were on them.
 You can end up spending a fortune and getting nowhere.There's another place in Motherwell,will see what they have.
    Thanks for the help