Author Topic: Owners of lairs  (Read 6255 times)

Offline hettyhen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Owners of lairs
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 June 15 02:11 BST (UK) »
Last year, from NZ, we had a headstone refurbished at Cambusnethan Cemetery here is the link
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=684538.msg5309550#msg5309550 
It may be of interest.
 We have also had an entry added for Thomas Robertson, current owner of the lair, who died 1953, just to complete it and hope it will now last at least another 100 years.
Cheers
HeatherR.
Lanarkshire=Robertson-Ross-Russell-Neilson.
Staffordshire= Harrison-Jackson-Round
London=Poswillo-Hyams-Karby-Dossett-Baram-Detloff-Hyman
Gibralter=Poswillo
Dorset= Attwooll-Read-Northover
Australia=Karby-Meyer

Offline Emma Pierce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 09:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for raising this post, Just this Monday passed I discovered that my 4th great grandfather is buried in the Southern Necropolis. We found the lair number and looked at the map of the cemetery, but it was near unreadable. We went to the SN and we couldn't find him, however there were a lot of headstones down or missing.
Cowell - Thanet, Kent, England
Jenner - London, England
Peebles - Glasgow/Lanarkshire, Scotland
Shoosmith - Sussex & Ramsgate, Kent, England
Pierce - London/Kent
Goodman - London, England
Redford - London, England

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 16:22 BST (UK) »
Which Section is he in and what's the Lair Number Emma?

I have a copy of the Western Section lair map and if he's in that part I may be able to help you (at least) locate the vicinity of his grave whether there's a stone on not.

Anne

Offline Emma Pierce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
Which Section is he in and what's the Lair Number Emma?

I have a copy of the Western Section lair map and if he's in that part I may be able to help you (at least) locate the vicinity of his grave whether there's a stone on not.

Anne

Hi Anne,
He is in the Western Section 45/ lair number 1035. I did look at a copy of the map in the Mitchell library and it was unclear to us the exact area due to text being so tiny!
Jenner - London, England
Pierce - London/Kent

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

Unfortunately, you need a bit more information to pinpoint where he'll be.

The main thing you need (strange as it might seem) is the cost/price paid for the lair. The most expensive lairs were around the outsides/perimeter areas and the closer they got to the centre, the cheaper they became. (If you look at an aerial or bird's eye view, you can see how the lairs are laid out)

A row letter (A, B, C, etc.,) would be useful but not always significant.

How sure are you of the lair number? I think there might be a missing digit as most of the lairs in the Western Section seem to have 5 digits. The only ones with 4 digits appear to start at 9000 +.

The Mitchell Library have the Southern Necropolis burials on Microfilm and are reasonably easy to search. You obviously have a date of death for your ancestor and as the registers are in date order of burials, it wouldn't be too difficult to get the info. The pages can sometimes be very difficult to read and in the worst case scenario - almost completely blank due to the film being so faded.

If all else fails, you might need to ask the Archives to carry out a search. I believe they charge £10 per search, but this might be reduced as you can give them a name, an exact date of death and an note of the section in which to begin their search.

Glasgow University Archives hold Wylie & Lochhead's Burial Records. http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/
Why not drop them an e-mail and ask them to have a look? Alternatively, you could visit their premises (just at the foot of Byres Road, across from the Western Infirmary/Art Gallery/Kevin Hall). They have a digitized index which makes for a much easier search. Once (and if) the burial is found, out come the musty old registers which you can pour over and they allow photos, so not only can you see the info, but have an image for your records (and with a bit of luck, if it's there, lots of additional info too!).

Why not post your 4x Gt Grandfather's details to this thread - you never know - someone somewhere might have additional information or advice of what else to try.

Anne

Offline Emma Pierce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

Unfortunately, you need a bit more information to pinpoint where he'll be.

The main thing you need (strange as it might seem) is the cost/price paid for the lair. The most expensive lairs were around the outsides/perimeter areas and the closer they got to the centre, the cheaper they became. (If you look at an aerial or bird's eye view, you can see how the lairs are laid out)

A row letter (A, B, C, etc.,) would be useful but not always significant.

How sure are you of the lair number? I think there might be a missing digit as most of the lairs in the Western Section seem to have 5 digits. The only ones with 4 digits appear to start at 9000 +.

The Mitchell Library have the Southern Necropolis burials on Microfilm and are reasonably easy to search. You obviously have a date of death for your ancestor and as the registers are in date order of burials, it wouldn't be too difficult to get the info. The pages can sometimes be very difficult to read and in the worst case scenario - almost completely blank due to the film being so faded.

If all else fails, you might need to ask the Archives to carry out a search. I believe they charge £10 per search, but this might be reduced as you can give them a name, an exact date of death and an note of the section in which to begin their search.

Glasgow University Archives hold Wylie & Lochhead's Burial Records. http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/archives/
Why not drop them an e-mail and ask them to have a look? Alternatively, you could visit their premises (just at the foot of Byres Road, across from the Western Infirmary/Art Gallery/Kevin Hall). They have a digitized index which makes for a much easier search. Once (and if) the burial is found, out come the musty old registers which you can pour over and they allow photos, so not only can you see the info, but have an image for your records (and with a bit of luck, if it's there, lots of additional info too!).

Why not post your 4x Gt Grandfather's details to this thread - you never know - someone somewhere might have additional information or advice of what else to try.

Anne

Hi Anne,

Thanks for this I looked at his burial and lair records before i made the trip to the SN.
Here is the full information I have:

From the Microfilm of the Burial Register:
Hugh Dunlop Peebles | Propriter | 1035 | 45/ | 4 ||    | 19 | 6  |

We then continued to find the records of him in two lair registers:
'Southern Necropolis, Western Numerical Index of Lairs, Vol 4'  on page 116, 1035 Hugh Peebles
 and 'Southern Necropolis Western Alphabetical index of lairs' 45/ | 1012 | Peebles, Hugh | Blacksmith | 461 St Vincent St | 1035 |

His DOD was 21st November 1905

Jenner - London, England
Pierce - London/Kent

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma,

I thought the '45/' might mean '45/-' (45 shillings), but I can't see anything corresponding with that. I'm no expert though!!

The only thing I can suggest is that you give Glasgow Council a ring and ask if they will give you the number for their area supervisor, or ask them if they could arrange someone to meet you at the Southern Necropolis and take you to the lair. I've done this a few times and without the help of the supervisor, I would never (in a million years) have found the two lairs I was looking for.

Good luck!

Anne

Offline Emma Pierce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 18:25 BST (UK) »
I unfortunately don't live in the area. I live in Kent, I was having a long weekend in Glasgow exploring family history.
Not sure when my next trip up would be, in the mean time I have contacted friends of the southern necropolis to see if they can help!

Thank you Anne for all your advice on this!
Ps I noticed on the central section of the southern necropolis there were numbers such as 55/ 33/ etc down the side of each row, maybe the 45/ something to do with rows?
Jenner - London, England
Pierce - London/Kent

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 22:45 BST (UK) »
I don't know what those numbers might have been.

There is a 'Heritage Trail' which covers particular graves in each of the three sections and I though possibly those numbers might have something to do with that, but there are only 31 marked on the copy I have. The leaflet I have is a good few years old - maybe there have been more added?

I'll try to attach a snippet from the lair map I have and you'll see the general layout although not much of it can be recognised now.

Anne