Author Topic: Isabelle Gilpin  (Read 3599 times)

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isabelle Gilpin
« on: Saturday 20 June 15 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm new here...I'm looking for information on my great grandmother Isabelle Gilpin, born Armagh (Portadown?) around 1859.  Death certificate (1915 in US) states father's name was William.  Obituary states a brother, James, still resided in Ireland at the time of her death.  Curious if anyone had come across and Isabelle or Isabella in their research?
Thank you.
L

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isabelle Gilpin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 June 15 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Welcome to Rootschat.   
    On 3 Oct 1868 a James Gilpin was born to William John Gilpin and Mary Bannister. The birth was registered in Portadown,

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 June 15 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I noticed this post and although I cannot provide any concrete information, I thought I'd make a comment. When my Dad was alive, he passed away in June 2011, he talked about a Gilpin family quite a bit, he grew up in Killeshandra, Co Cavan. If you look on the 1911 Irish census there is an Isabella there in Co Cavan.

Margaret :) ;)

Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 June 15 00:01 BST (UK) »
Thank, very valuable info.  I will definitely follow up on James, its promising.

Isabelle emigrated to the US in the 1880s, so must be another Isabelle on the 1911 census...but thank you so much for looking!

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 July 15 04:24 BST (UK) »
I have a bunch of Gilpin research that isn't accessible to me at the moment but I'll look when I get the chance.

I do have one possibility for you though. Here is one of the 11 James Gilpins born in Armagh who was in Ireland on the 1911 census:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Killyman/Copney/323936/

His parents were William Verner Gilpin and Eliza Jane Gilpin (maiden name) who were married in 1856 so they could have had an Isabelle around 1859.

It might help if you could give details about Isabelle in the US such as where she lived and if she married and had children. Irish families tended to immigrate in clusters. If she went to the US in the 1880s then she almost certainly had relatives wherever she went first. Does her obituary imply that James was her only sibling still alive in 1915? The family I mentioned above had other living children.

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 01:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help.

Isabelle's obituary mentioned a brother David also living at the time of her death (New Jersey). Perhaps he was in the US when she first emigrated?   She married Thomas Wilson, also from Armagh, Portadown.  He emigrated to work in the silk mills in Manchester, CT where they lived.  They married around 1892, although I cannot find a marriage record.  Had 3 daughters, Ethel, Amanda and Maude.  Mid 1890s James Wilson came to live with them,I believe but cannot confirm, he was Thomas' nephew and was orphaned in Ireland.  This is from his grandsons recollection and other family lore.  Although in some records and Thomas' obit, he refers to James as his son.

Isabelle was institutionalized in 1904 at the CT Hospital for the Insane.  She was never released and died there in 1915.  Interestingly, her youngest daughter, Maude ends up in NJ being raised by Richard and Mary McLelland.  They refer to Maude as their niece.

Thank you again.
L

Offline sue21757

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 04:25 BST (UK) »
Have found a passport application for Richard McClelland and he states his wife is Mary Gilpin.She was born on the 14/2/1860 Co Armagh Ireland. Richard was bor 15/7/1857 Derryadd,Co Armagh . Richard immigrated in 1884 and Mary 1885. They married 25/12/1895.

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 08:56 BST (UK) »
I know I have that David Gilpin in the research I can't access right now but I think I looked at him because of his wife Lillie Miller of Derrymagowan so I might not have anything more about him. He did get married in Ireland and his marriage record would have his residence at time of marriage and his father's name and occupation so that might be worth getting.

McClelland of Derryadd also sounds familiar and I know I have multiple, interconnected families from Derryadd and the neighbouring townlands who went to Manchester, CT so I'll check on those. There were Wilsons in Derryadd.

If you're also stuck on the Wilson line then I'd suggest tracing that James backwards and forwards. Do you have his birthdate? It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of when he came to the US so you might be able to find a passenger record. Passenger records from that time are often a wealth of information with departure and destination contact names. And he likely would have travelled with a relative or friend. Common names like Wilson are tough so you really need to have details.

Offline LAW1221

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 July 15 18:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you, this is great information.  I had always thought that the McClelland's were somehow tied to the Wilsons...but it appears to have possibly been Isabelle's sister that raised her child.  What is odd is that in Isabelle's 1915 obituary, Mary Gilpin is not mentioned but she was alive as she turns up in the 1920 census. 

I had found a David Gilpin in New Jersey married to Lillie in the US census.

James' birth date is listed as June 28, 1884 on his WWI draft registration card.  I found some records from Ellis Island that could be him arriving in 1892.  His grandson told me he thought he was around 9 years old give or take a year or two when he emigrated and that he was orphaned in Ireland.

Thank you again.
Laura